Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 02:00 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times

Advertisements

I like this website for local development news.
I must have missed it in the EP Times & didn't know there was a plan to add toll lanes to I10 from Mesa St to Anthony.

El Paso Development News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 08:15 AM

1,011 posts, read 2,832,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
I like this website for local development news.
I must have missed it in the EP Times & didn't know there was a plan to add toll lanes to I10 from Mesa St to Anthony.

El Paso Development News

What are they planning to put on the site of Smeltertown (as depicted in the artist's rendition of the plans for the ASARCO site in the article linked to below)?

El Paso Development News: Asarco Ready for Development in 2015, Stacks or No Stacks

Old 10-28-2012, 09:30 AM

404 posts, read 860,638 times
That is a pretty cool website to help El Pasoans stay inform on current city developments and future planed projects, I sure hope that the Asarco development keeps the smoke stacks or at least one of them.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:55 PM

8 posts, read 20,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Kitty 98 View Post
That is a pretty cool website to help El Pasoans stay inform on current city developments and future planed projects, I sure hope that the Asarco development keeps the smoke stacks or at least one of them.
Hopefully something along this idea, to improvise with its existence and incorporate the modern world to the structure. El Paso would be perceived far more differently if this were possibly done. It'd make it the 2nd tallest free-standing tower in the US (Following the LV Stratosphere), and 200ft taller than San Antonio's Tower of the Americas. It would improve El Paso's quality of life, especially in that area.

There are already efforts towards saving the stacks, personally many of the ideas that are coming up weren't my cup of tea so I had to put some insight into what could be done to the tallest stack.
Attached Thumbnails
El Paso Development News-199757_498358193525714_1457033669_n.jpg  

Old 11-12-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworkkchris View Post
Hopefully something along this idea, to improvise with its existence and incorporate the modern world to the structure. El Paso would be perceived far more differently if this were possibly done. It'd make it the 2nd tallest free-standing tower in the US (Following the LV Stratosphere), and 200ft taller than San Antonio's Tower of the Americas. It would improve El Paso's quality of life, especially in that area.

There are already efforts towards saving the stacks, personally many of the ideas that are coming up weren't my cup of tea so I had to put some insight into what could be done to the tallest stack.
A revolving observation deck or even a restaurant would be cool even if the Asarco Smoke Stack could withstand the extra added weight. However you have great input and imagination if they could really come out with a plan like that; for now I just hope they keep the stacks intact.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:07 AM

8 posts, read 20,439 times
Quote:
A revolving observation deck or even a restaurant would be cool even if the Asarco Smoke Stack could withstand the extra added weight. However you have great input and imagination if they could really come out with a plan like that; for now I just hope they keep the stacks intact.
Although it would be an expensive project, it would end up paying for itself and still give economic output. Hopefully the stack is plausible in keeping and being converted to this by being reinforcing it, I have high hopes

Last edited by clockworkkchris; 11-13-2012 at 01:21 AM..

Old 11-13-2012, 11:23 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,328 times
I personally don't think keeping that stack is worth the substantial amount of money necessary to reinforce the walls.

I really think a better use of this land area would be a massive solar project. It would have high visibility, sit on land that is unusable for residential zoning, close to transmission lines, and using newer panels that have lower reflectivity you wouldn't get a bright shine glaring back at UTEP during the day.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworkkchris View Post
Although it would be an expensive project, it would end up paying for itself and still give economic output. Hopefully the stack is plausible in keeping and being converted to this by being reinforcing it, I have high hopes
The tower itself is iconic and probably does not need any retrofit; I say hold on to the stack then maybe someone will come along and reinforce the whole thing after all it is part of El Paso's history. For good or bad it did provide a lot of people with good paying jobs and hopefully we will find out soon if they are going to be able to keep it standing then they can throw on some fresh paint.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:27 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Chances are slim...

Quote:
The tower itself is iconic and probably does not need any retrofit; I say hold on to the stack then maybe someone will come along and reinforce the whole thing after all it is part of El Paso's history. For good or bad it did provide a lot of people with good paying jobs and hopefully we will find out soon if they are going to be able to keep it standing then they can throw on some fresh paint.
I like the stack, I also liked the Phelps Dodge stack on North Loop that was taken down several years ago. However, try to look at it from a business perspective, and you will see that it cannot be kept just for the sake of keeping it. It is not that old really, 50 years or less, and it is a sad reminder for those who died as a result of the pollution, or those negatively, and permanently affected by the years of poisoning.

A recent study was conducted that concluded it would cost about 14 million dollars just to maintain it for the next 50 years. So to keep it just as it is, and keep it "clean", one would have to shell out a lot of money with nothing to show for it, or replace the money.

I would not hold out on anything happening with the stack except being taken down. If you like the stack, I'd go get photos of yourselves with the stack in the background; it will be gone this time next year.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I like the stack, I also liked the Phelps Dodge stack on North Loop that was taken down several years ago. However, try to look at it from a business perspective, and you will see that it cannot be kept just for the sake of keeping it. It is not that old really, 50 years or less, and it is a sad reminder for those who died as a result of the pollution, or those negatively, and permanently affected by the years of poisoning.

A recent study was conducted that concluded it would cost about 14 million dollars just to maintain it for the next 50 years. So to keep it just as it is, and keep it "clean", one would have to shell out a lot of money with nothing to show for it, or replace the money.

I would not hold out on anything happening with the stack except being taken down. If you like the stack, I'd go get photos of yourselves with the stack in the background; it will be gone this time next year.
Since you brought up the Phelps Dodge stack on North Loop; that stack was also nice to look at from my grandfathers house over at Prices Dairy. I lived out of El Paso at the time when they tore it down, however I hope that they don't make the same mistake with the one at Asarco.

My dad use to work at TWC (UTEP) back in the sixties, and he would tell me that when he would go to lunch that the air around the campus would smell like sulfur.So all the Asarco nightmares and legends are now behind us now; we have all put two smoke stacks left and one of them will surely be demolish.

In El Paso today there are those that want to preserve the smoke stack and there are those that want to tear it down. The ones that want to preserve the smoke stack such as myself find;Find the smoke stack to have a great deal of El Paso's history in it, and besides, the smoke stack is now dormant, never to spew toxins into El Paso's skies again.

Surely if El Paso's old legendary Henry Trost would have design the smoke stack; then the would be all sorts of preservationist trying to save the historic icon.But yet considering that even now there are folks involved trying to save it for a reason, the smoke stack is symbolic, it is part of El Paso's history it is also harmless to restore it and maintain it.

It could be used as a tourist attraction; they could develop a nice park around it if they wanted to and even a museum. I don't think that they should put housing or retail space there; they could paint it really nice and put the letters El Paso on it. The smoke stack it not harming anyone anywhere and it is just something to remind us of our past history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso