Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2012, 05:01 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,010 times

Advertisements

This is just a scenario. Lets pretend El Paso, Juarez, and Liga MX ( the mexican professional league) jump through all the hoops and regulations and the new El Paso soccer team becomes a good team and makes it into Liga MX.

The Metropolitian area of El Paso-Juarez-Las Cruces probably has more GDP than half of the Mexican cities that have professional football teams, which would benefit Liga MX. Our football soccer team can play in the Sun Bowl, which i found, by reading the wiki pages, was reconstructed for soccer teams to play in, making it a perfect place. It can occupy over 50,000+ people, which would make it one of the largests stadiums in Liga MX. It is a very attractive stadium, which would bring many Mexican and Mexican American fans from Chihuahua, Juarez, El Paso, Las Cruces, Albuquerque, Phoenx, etc. Many Mexicans from Juarez like coming to El Paso for shopping, and i am pretty sure they love how our campus and stadium looks, of course they would come and watch professional football soccer, in a very safe environment. I remember Juarez's football team made it into Liga MX but then failed to win games and were droped out. Lack of security and the overall climate of Juarez, made El Pasosoans uncomfortable going over there. But if we have a professional soccer team here, i am sure people from Juarez and El Paso would go to the Sun Bowl stadium.

A Liga MX football team in El Paso would increase the visibility of both Juarez and El Paso in the International stage. Both American and Mexican sponsors would benefit enourmously from the other nation. UTEP, El Paso, and Juarez would also benefit, both cities would become more united. Many Mexicans and Mexican Americans players in this region are actually decent players, so we wouldnt need to buy alot expensive foreign players. Our high school soccer teams actually do WAY much better than our american football, basketball, and baseball teams. A second tier baseball team is good, but a real professional football team that belongs to Liga MX, would really channel our passion, true passion in this region, football soccer. Most Mexicans know about El Paso and Juarez. Many of them, know what has happened in Juarez, would give sympathy to this region, and actually support an american border city have a professional football team that is part of Liga MX, which to them, Liga MX is a combination of the NFL,MLB,NBA....it is a big part of their lives. Both American and Mexican sponspors, would give good funding to our team, increasing our visiblity.

Many Americans think El Paso is part of Mexico anyways, might as well be the first city to have a Mexican professional team. Look at the Toronto Raptors in the NBA. The team U.N.A.M Pumas in Liga XL also plays in a college stadium, so that would not be so different. Having an NBA, NFL, or MLB team would be a great thing, but hey, when is that going to happens? Cost players in those leagues? Millions and millions of dollars. I dont think Liga MX players get pay that much. Yes you have many people in El Paso who love the NFL, the NBA, and MLB, but they also love Liga MX, especially Mexican Americans, and you have 1,000,000+ passionate soccer fans right across the border, who love coming over here every week.

Not being idealistic here, after reading our baseball discussion and watching a Liga MX, this idea came into my head. Might as well share it for thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 08:40 PM

507 posts, read 2,061,351 times
La Liga Mex is tough on the eyes, hard to watch.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:18 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br7or13 View Post
La Liga Mex is tough on the eyes, hard to watch.
???

Old 11-27-2012, 06:59 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
It sounds like a perfect fit for El Paso -- and so many people from Juarez live over here now. I'm pretty sure El Paso voters would vote for any tax increase to get this accomplished.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:42 AM

404 posts, read 860,340 times
I doubt that El Paso voters would ever approve for a tax increase to bring a Mexican soccer league here; and why should we?
Maybe in another twenty or fifty years from now El Paso will be way different and the cities population demographics would change dramatically to favor such support figuring that most of the population then would be from Mexico.
When the Juarez Indio's came to play in the Sun Bowl a few years ago the stadium was only half way full; I myself never did like the idea that they would reconfigure the Sun Bowl in order to accommodate soccer; For starters how many soccer games do they play in the Sun Bowl annually? A total waste of seating capacity since bleachers had to be removed on all four corners to help accommodate soccer and for a stadium that was design for American football.
In the future when new and old naturalize citizens register to vote for bond issues and pay taxes, then maybe they can support to build a stadium of their very own.
For now we get soccer fields all over the city with the new quality of life bond issue approval; so the next step would be for the future generation of El Pasoans to make this a reality. To take part in American politics and participate in voting; but for now Juarez can accommodate their all needs.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:34 AM

15 posts, read 22,204 times
MLS would be the way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso