Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 01:19 AM

3 posts, read 2,641 times

Advertisements

To be outright straight forward:
We moved from FL to EP. three yrs ago. If we could do it differently now- we would.
I must warn you the 'heat' there is totally and completely different than here.

If your into:
-Your skin burning to your bones within minutes during the peak heat (May-Oct)
-You love the sight of dirt/sand and rocks
-You can easily navigate car tires that fell off cars on the Hwy
-You enjoy watching the boarder patrol chasing people as entertainment (along with Boarder ----Patrol, Sheriffs Dept, And City Police every mile or less)
-You enjoy low speed limits all throughout the city (less the Hwy-.How does 45 sound to you 90% of the time?)
-Don't mind 'Checkpoints' that are set up to head East, West, North, and the boarder checkpoints South (Where they ALL have the entire set up:The officers, dogs, and questioning no matter which way you go)
-Scream with delight at the sound of sonic booms from the arial traing from the huge military base they have here
.......And so forth.......

Then this is the place for you!!!!

If you are into heavy drinking and bouncy houses then it's a done deal!

Just don't **** the wrong person off what ever you do.

Remember: Customer Service on the receiving end is a FL thing. Just don't expect any of that here. (Moving from Tampa to here...WoW...What a difference)

Google for photos of the city. Not just the nice 'fixed flyer' ones.

Grass does not grow here. The sun burns it to dirt. I am not joking. It's the desert.

If you have a fair complexion: Be ready. You will stand out like you never experienced in the worst part of Maimi.

The culture is completely different here than there. It's NOT the same.

I suggest a 90 day 'Vacation' here to give you a 'feel' of how it is. Enough time to experiance the life here. Then when you go back home...You will embrace the grass, customer service, normal driving speeds, water/humidity, and melting pot of nationalities like never before.

Good Luck in your decession. I mentioned a few things that are top of the list for us.

We are clawing to get the heck out of here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 05:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,551,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89;28086\\\484
Yes, I read your assertion, and it is still incorrect. I come across Spanish speakers every single day at work, and sometimes I'll claim not to speak Spanish, and the reactions are as varied as the people themselves. Some might look visibly annoyed, others confused, some embarrassed that they don't speak English, etc. But asserting that if one action is performed (not speaking English) you will get a predetermined outcome (treated like "scum) is ludicrous. You cannot base "fact" on your personal anecdotal experience, and neither can anyone else here.

As for job searches, I myself have never run into the issue of needing Spanish fluency so critically. Perhaps if you are looking in the service industry or similar fields where an employer would understandably seek employees that spoke serviceable Spanish for their customer base, but not in the professional world have I ever seen this.
eli

I think that's what people are saying -- there are many Spanish speakers here - but why on earth are they visibly annoyed when they hear someone speakng English in what is technically the USA? I see that often, people who speak English will get looks that range from annoyed to angry and I know people who have been yelled at for not speaking Spanish. One guy was from India, apparently a woman mistook him for a Mexican and asked him something in Spanish, he politiely told her he didn't speak Spanish and she began yelling at him in English that he should be ashamed for not speaking his language. He politely informed her that he wasn't Mexican but she never apologized for the tongue lashing she gave him.

I've been here a long time and have never seen anyone act embarassed for not speaking English.

It's true that it can vary with different jobs and workplaces and parts of town. You are a Spanish speaker yourself which makes a big difference because those who understand Spanish know what's being said - but put yourself in the shoes of English speakers who are surrounded by mostly conversations going on in Spanish. Yes, English speakers can get by but they are also excluded, not just in the break room conversations but even in the work areas and that takes place with semi-professional jobs. And there are a significant number of jobs that are off limits to those who aren't fluent in Spanish.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,486,166 times
Flaming12, moving to the desert and complaining about rocks, dirt and heat is like moving to the coast and complaining about the humidity and too much water. It's a case of "Did Not Do The Research".

Old 02-07-2013, 06:38 PM

21 posts, read 68,140 times
My opinion is that if anyone has a problem with the way they are treated in El Paso, the problem is probably them. I was treated great there. Maybe it is because I am friendly to people and they are friendly back???? Maybe, I will go back one day and walk around acting like a racist, stuck up, jackass and see if my experience is different.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:32 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,121,506 times
I have lush green grass and I don't even have high water bills.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomrat View Post
My opinion is that if anyone has a problem with the way they are treated in El Paso, the problem is probably them. I was treated great there. Maybe it is because I am friendly to people and they are friendly back???? Maybe, I will go back one day and walk around acting like a racist, stuck up, jackass and see if my experience is different.
I think you're dead on about that. Some people give off an air of superiority or condescension when visiting new cities, and locals pick up on that. Heck even in NYC, while a lot of people are pretty short with you and stand-offish to visitors, I met a lot of friendly people. I was stuck in a tiny Midwestern town with nothing to do for a few months and I had a great time there. It really is your attitude.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:43 AM

643 posts, read 1,309,626 times
I think his name says it all. He is a troll trying to flame on....

Old 02-25-2013, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
Flaming12, moving to the desert and complaining about rocks, dirt and heat is like moving to the coast and complaining about the humidity and too much water. It's a case of "Did Not Do The Research".
First: No complaints here. Just stating the facts.
Second: As for Research, jumping to conclusions much? Research was done for several weeks at that. The job transfer was uncontrolable.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCCW View Post
I think his name says it all. He is a troll trying to flame on....
That's funny.
I am not a 'he'.
I state what I experiance daily and I am a troll because 'of a corny name' I threw up as a far fetched alias?

*On a positive note: El Paso has the best Mexican food ever. It's fantastic.*

Old 02-25-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming12 View Post

*On a positive note: El Paso has the best Mexican food ever. It's fantastic.*

See, something we can agree on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso