Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 12:53 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,823,391 times

Advertisements

But San Elizario has got something to say about that. Definitely.

Quote:
The battle for San Elizario, a small community that started during the time of the Spanish conquistadors, is beginning to take shape.

Socorro wants to annex a part of it to be able to complete a loop around the city, but San Elizario residents would rather fight than be swallowed up by their bigger neighbor.

They say they would rather incorporate than assimilate.
Socorro had let its incorporation lapse, and voted to re-incorporate around 1980 when El Paso moved to annex it. Now San Elizario finds itself in a similar situation with regard to Socorro.

Socorro wants to annex some land that's in El Paso and Horizon City's extraterritorial jurisdictions, too, but I think both cities are objecting. But the real battle is between Socorro and San Eli.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 01:24 PM

404 posts, read 858,376 times
I think that it would be wise for the citizens of San Elizario to vote to incorporate and form their own city; looking at the demographics if Socorro does annex San Elizario, then San Elizario will not have any room to grow because they will be locked in. If San Elizario does not incorporate then further down the future the City of Socorro will annex more of San Elizario against the will of the people of San Elizario as they are now attempting to do.
I don't blame the citizens of San Elizario for not wanting any of their land to be annex by Socorro giving the circumstances that the City of Socorro is poorly managed and has been bogged down with corrupted city administrators and police; Not to mention that the city of Socorro is just a giant Lawless Colonia.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:16 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,823,391 times
I think the time may have finally come for San Elizario to incorporate and stay incorporated this time.

I think Socorro wants the area just south of Interstate 10 between it and its current city limits around EPCC's Mission Valley campus, which is in El Paso's extraterritorial jurisdiction, and the city of El Paso might have a problem with that. In any case, is there some reason why Socorro and not El Paso should have it?

If Socorro wants to annex north of I-10 and east of the El Paso Hills neighborhood within their ETJ up to the Horizon City city limits, I don't see a problem with it (except the county might someday have to move the dump). Maybe Socorro can take responsibility for the colonias in that area, and Horizon City can keep their wastewater out of Socorro's canals. Horizon City might want to start annexing land east and south of Agua Dulce (which is in Socorro's ETJ) if they want to grow into that part of the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso