U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Staying or not in El Paso
I love El Paso, will never leave 4 17.39%
Considering leaving for work but will come back 5 21.74%
Nothing to do, social scene is small 0 0%
It's OK, not decided 1 4.35%
Military keeps me/kept me here 2 8.70%
Climate and outdoors makes it worth it 4 17.39%
Have to find a job, will never come back 1 4.35%
I am only here because of family/roots 2 8.70%
Bicultural, bilingual culture makes in unattractive 1 4.35%
I dislike it overall and gotta go for good 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2007, 11:12 AM

11,711 posts, read 8,554,314 times

Advertisements

What do you think of El Paso and you residing here?

Seems like its a love have relationship.

What best describes the reason you are here?

Please vote and discuss below:........

Last edited by WildWestDude; 10-21-2007 at 11:30 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 01:33 PM

507 posts, read 1,943,085 times
Love the 915. Love the climate, the people, the food, the culture. After living elsewhere for many years, I came back and would not trade it for anything. Of course, EP is not for everyone; living here is largely what you make it. I'm lucky to have a good paying job, so perhaps my outlook would be different if I here struggling to make a living. But I've been poor in EP and poor elsewhere, but still prefer EP over anywhere else. Now let's see what the blow-hards in this forum have to spew about the topic.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:41 PM

5,080 posts, read 8,911,525 times
Family/roots was me. As soon as I can, I will be outta here once more, and hope to never return.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:27 PM

421 posts, read 2,074,253 times
I love El Paso, but as for me never leaving that's to be decided. For the time being, I'm quite happy. My wife and I have good jobs and make good money. The cost of living makes it even more attractive. The weather and access to fun, nature-oriented things is great. The abundance of historic buildings and neighborhoods makes this city unique in the southwest. I wish the people took a greater interest in the past. The lack of diversity can be kind of annoying. A greater depth of jobs in my particular field would be nice..

Old 10-22-2007, 02:57 PM

33 posts, read 156,020 times
Hello everybody,

I sit between 2 chairs, you know why?

I really like El Paso and enjoy the sun and my wonderful house, backyard and pool. The landscape is wonderful, I have never seen desert in my life before, never lived so close to mountains or airport, cost of living is low, people are pretty friendly here and where the heck do you have an average of 300 sunny days anyway??? I keep telling this my people whenever they freeze their butts off somewhere else *lol*

Now my bad points:
I surely leave one day again. I have to say, this part of Texas ist different. It is not really Texas, it is Mexico.
I have chosen a house in such a nice neighborhood, dead end, you know, could be wonderful but I am just surrounded by Mexicans who just seem to have parties all the time. Nobody cares if you need your sleep because your alarm clock goes off by 5 am. Everybody is so selfish, who cares that I would like to enjoy rest of my day after work too? No, they play life music till 3 am in the morning. Well, thank God to all who don't have to work for living.
I also don't like the "mexican way" of doing things here. It drives me crazy that nobody holds on to appointment times and you have to kiss many frogs before you finally catch some good customer service or somebody who knows what he is doing...and then you have to stick to him because it is hard to find good people. It took me like 3 months to find good pool service......
I cannot live that way all my life. If I want to get build a roof then I expect that it is not falling down on me 6 months later. Just take a look at these roads, horrorable conditions...does anybody care or fix them? I guess, since nobody knows how to drive a car here anyway, that doesn't matter...... you would never believe what my car looks like, just from parking at Wal Mart and so. I have never seen this somewhere else in die U.S.

So ya'll see, I like it and not

Old 10-23-2007, 03:19 AM

879 posts, read 2,861,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPasorina View Post
Hello everybody,

I sit between 2 chairs, you know why?

I really like El Paso and enjoy the sun and my wonderful house, backyard and pool. The landscape is wonderful, I have never seen desert in my life before, never lived so close to mountains or airport, cost of living is low, people are pretty friendly here and where the heck do you have an average of 300 sunny days anyway??? I keep telling this my people whenever they freeze their butts off somewhere else *lol*

Now my bad points:
I surely leave one day again. I have to say, this part of Texas ist different. It is not really Texas, it is Mexico.
I have chosen a house in such a nice neighborhood, dead end, you know, could be wonderful but I am just surrounded by Mexicans who just seem to have parties all the time. Nobody cares if you need your sleep because your alarm clock goes off by 5 am. Everybody is so selfish, who cares that I would like to enjoy rest of my day after work too? No, they play life music till 3 am in the morning. Well, thank God to all who don't have to work for living.
I also don't like the "mexican way" of doing things here. It drives me crazy that nobody holds on to appointment times and you have to kiss many frogs before you finally catch some good customer service or somebody who knows what he is doing...and then you have to stick to him because it is hard to find good people. It took me like 3 months to find good pool service......
I cannot live that way all my life. If I want to get build a roof then I expect that it is not falling down on me 6 months later. Just take a look at these roads, horrorable conditions...does anybody care or fix them? I guess, since nobody knows how to drive a car here anyway, that doesn't matter...... you would never believe what my car looks like, just from parking at Wal Mart and so. I have never seen this somewhere else in die U.S.

So ya'll see, I like it and not
Please explain to us, what this: "mexican way" is? I don't understand you at all. I am Mexican-American, and I seem to make every appointment on time that I have, so please tell us all what you meant by saying "mexican way." Since you don't like it, please clarify to us all what you meant by it.

BTW, thank God... I think I live in one of the quietest places in El Paso, and most of the people around me are Hispanic. Go Figure.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:08 PM

60 posts, read 194,452 times
El Paso is home because I grew up here and currently have a decent job. It hasn't always been this way for me. I have moved away for work and don't ever rule out moving again for opportunities. The job market stinks for the most part and that is the bummer about this town. My biggest complaint is the job market and the backwards thinking. We never focus on job creation here. Our politicians are very selfish and don't focus on industry development. We are known for low wage and low skill/education. That is sad.

El Pasorina, I agree with your frustrations regarding timeliness and customer service. For the most part it really stinks in this town. Chuco, she was pretty clear in what she meant.

I totally have a love hate relationship with this town. Lately it's been hate because of lack of opportunities.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:55 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,156,330 times
Second that. I have been gone over a year now and beginning to realize that I might never return since the career opportunities are so low. I miss my family and friends but that's it.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:04 PM

47 posts, read 190,026 times
We're military and that's why we are here. We are only here for a year. We knew that when we came. It's okay. It's definately different than anywhere else we've lived but then again almost everywhere we end up is like that LOL!!! We like it okay. We could enjoy it a bit more probably if we were going to be here longer. It's hard moving somewhere knowing we'll only 10 months - it takes almost 6 months to really get settled after moving.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:27 PM

879 posts, read 2,861,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clashman View Post
El Paso is home because I grew up here and currently have a decent job. It hasn't always been this way for me. I have moved away for work and don't ever rule out moving again for opportunities. The job market stinks for the most part and that is the bummer about this town. My biggest complaint is the job market and the backwards thinking. We never focus on job creation here. Our politicians are very selfish and don't focus on industry development. We are known for low wage and low skill/education. That is sad.

El Pasorina, I agree with your frustrations regarding timeliness and customer service. For the most part it really stinks in this town. Chuco, she was pretty clear in what she meant.

I totally have a love hate relationship with this town. Lately it's been hate because of lack of opportunities.
Clashman, what does that have to do with "mexican" in any way? I have lived in different parts of this country as well and the customer services and timeliness has been horrible, even way worse than in El Paso... so was that the "mexican way" there too?.. even though there were hardly any Mexican people in those places. Give me a break..

I had a business in L.A. CA (a true melting pot) and we had to use appointments for our business and guess who were the rudest people and most untimely people at our business? Caucasian people... was that because it was the "Caucasian way"? No! It wasn't a race factor at all, it was probably because there was more Caucasian people that lived in that area. The fact is that people are like that no matter where you go in this country.. its just more thought of a "mexican way" here because it is 75% Hispanic here. Get over yourself.

Also, thanks for answering the question clashman... even though the question was not meant for you.. your answer was not the one I was interested in.. I asked the person who said it and its her response that I was looking for, not yours. Thats why I asked her and she is a big girl and can respond to it as she pleases.

I also noticed that she has ignored the question thus far and has gone ahead and posted other stuff already on this message board. Typical.

Last edited by Chuco; 10-23-2007 at 10:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso