Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 03:34 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,831,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Kitty 98 View Post
Mesa Street is pretty dangerous as is! it has a speed limit on some parts of 55 MPH and in School Zones it drops to 40 MPH!
it makes no sense.
Well, I don't think North Mesa cuts through any elementary-school attendance zones except those of Vilas and Mesita just north of downtown. Maybe they make the kids who live on the other side of Mesa from their schools cross at the red lights if their parents can't or won't drive them the short distance to school, and send a school bus for any kids who live along San Marcos Drive to take them to and from Mesita.

Middle-school kids who go to Morehead and live east of Mesa, or who go to Wiggs and live west of Mesa, might have to brave the traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 07:42 AM

I heard Montana is being turned into a freeway from Global Reach/Yarbrough east to Loop 375.

Global Reach/Yarbrough west to Airway next? And then maybe Airway west to Interstate 10 via East Paisano?

Old 03-07-2014, 12:42 AM

879 posts, read 3,037,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrabilius View Post
I heard Montana is being turned into a freeway from Global Reach/Yarbrough east to Loop 375.

Global Reach/Yarbrough west to Airway next? And then maybe Airway west to Interstate 10 via East Paisano?
You are correct, but actually the new 7.6 mile freeway will be starting about half a mile before Yarbrough/Global Reach, go past Loop 375 and will end just after where Zaragoza and Montana meet. So far its in the planning stages and it hasn't been funded yet, but it will likely get funding from the TXDOT soon.

I think that this new freeway will eventually make it all the way west to Airway Blvd. I'm not sure if it would make it all the way to I-10 but I suppose it could be possible.

The new Montana freeway (if it gets built) is expected to cost more than $400 million, construction is expected to begin possibly next year and could take up to 3 years to build.

El Paso Development News: From Avenue to Freeway
Widening of Montana in far East El Paso met with concerns, relief - El Paso Times
More schematics are here:
Public Meeting - US 62/180 (Montana Avenue) Project

Old 03-10-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuco View Post
You are correct, but actually the new 7.6 mile freeway will be starting about half a mile before Yarbrough/Global Reach, go past Loop 375 and will end just after where Zaragoza and Montana meet. So far its in the planning stages and it hasn't been funded yet, but it will likely get funding from the TXDOT soon.

I think that this new freeway will eventually make it all the way west to Airway Blvd. I'm not sure if it would make it all the way to I-10 but I suppose it could be possible.

The new Montana freeway (if it gets built) is expected to cost more than $400 million, construction is expected to begin possibly next year and could take up to 3 years to build.

El Paso Development News: From Avenue to Freeway
Widening of Montana in far East El Paso met with concerns, relief - El Paso Times
More schematics are here:
Public Meeting - US 62/180 (Montana Avenue) Project
I-10 just east of Paisano. They could route this freeway down Paisano starting from Montana and build the I-10 interchange across from Hawkins Elementary. Long ago there were plans to connect it to the Patriot Freeway (US 54) but that would require tearing down a whole bunch of houses, and the government seems reluctant to do that now.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:03 AM

879 posts, read 3,037,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrabilius View Post
I-10 just east of Paisano. They could route this freeway down Paisano starting from Montana and build the I-10 interchange across from Hawkins Elementary. Long ago there were plans to connect it to the Patriot Freeway (US 54) but that would require tearing down a whole bunch of houses, and the government seems reluctant to do that now.
I think you're right. Maybe they could build it as a double decker freeway leading up to I-10, sort of like how they did with the Spur 601 (Liberty Expressway) over a portion of Fred Wilson Ave.

BTW, I did find this map that shows how they planned (and cancelled) a Trowbridge-Montana Freeway back in the 60's and it would of connected to US-54 just like you mentioned. Also, look how the Loop 375 was also planned back then and how the "Border Freeway" would one day be extended west to connect to I-10.. just like it will finally be connected within the next few years.

Not the same topic, but here's a newer illustration that shows how the new Border Highway west extension will look after its completed.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:33 AM

Thanks for posting this map, Chuco.

I heard someplace that the proposed Interstate 14 that the US government is planning on building from Augusta, Georgia to Natchez, Mississippi (at least) may be extended through Louisiana and Texas, connecting a bunch of army bases like Fort Rucker, Fort Polk, and Fort Hood, possibly even Fort Bliss. It might end at Interstate 10 east of Fort Stockton, but they could run it west along US 87 beyond San Angelo, maybe to Lamesa and then Seminole by way of Big Spring, and then along US 62-180 through southeastern New Mexico and Culberson and Hudspeth Counties, maybe along Montana and Paisano to I-10. If they're already upgrading the part of Montana I'm talking about to a freeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso