Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:46 AM

643 posts, read 1,312,769 times

Advertisements

BamaCrazy, I don't know if you're trolling or not, but I will respond the same way that I do to all people who criticize El Paso.

Fort Bliss is wonderful! If you think staying on base will be better, I suggest you think again. Ft. Bliss is an open base so that means ALL citizens of El Paso including Mexico can enter the base. As long as you have an ID and possess liability insurance then you are welcome to go on base! I am indifferent since I rarely go on base.

If you are looking into these forums then you will find people who like El Paso or don't. It's the same as any other cities. People will always find some kind of way to vent their frustration with their current living situation or accommodations. I am glad that the City Data forums are there for them to vent. You will find people who are always ready for something different and don't mind a bit of a change for a while. Some will always compare El Paso to some other place they have lived and will say how bad El Paso is and how we don't have this or that.

Enjoy your stay as much as possible and take is as an experience whether it's favorable or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 12:15 PM

6 posts, read 6,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCCW View Post
BamaCrazy, I don't know if you're trolling or not, but I will respond the same way that I do to all people who criticize El Paso.

Fort Bliss is wonderful! If you think staying on base will be better, I suggest you think again. Ft. Bliss is an open base so that means ALL citizens of El Paso including Mexico can enter the base. As long as you have an ID and possess liability insurance then you are welcome to go on base! I am indifferent since I rarely go on base.

If you are looking into these forums then you will find people who like El Paso or don't. It's the same as any other cities. People will always find some kind of way to vent their frustration with their current living situation or accommodations. I am glad that the City Data forums are there for them to vent. You will find people who are always ready for something different and don't mind a bit of a change for a while. Some will always compare El Paso to some other place they have lived and will say how bad El Paso is and how we don't have this or that.

Enjoy your stay as much as possible and take is as an experience whether it's favorable or not.

Not trolling, just checking out El Paso forums.

I am aware that Fort Bliss is an open post. I wished it wasn't because military facilities should be for the soldiers who risk their lives while serving their country. But the post is still nicer and cleaner because we clean up behind ourselves. I have lived in 8 states, and 2 cities in Texas, and El Paso is not a great place to live when compared to other places. If you have never been anywhere else, and El Paso is the only place you have lived, then don't move because you will not want to come back.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:02 PM

5 posts, read 8,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaCrazy View Post
Not trolling, just checking out El Paso forums.

I am aware that Fort Bliss is an open post. I wished it wasn't because military facilities should be for the soldiers who risk their lives while serving their country. But the post is still nicer and cleaner because we clean up behind ourselves. I have lived in 8 states, and 2 cities in Texas, and El Paso is not a great place to live when compared to other places. If you have never been anywhere else, and El Paso is the only place you have lived, then don't move because you will not want to come back.

So I guess the citizens of El Paso are not allowing the soldiers to use their base facilities? I work on Bliss as a federal law enforcement officer (who incidentally also risk our lives), and I see no deterrant to soldiers using their facilities. I guess the citizens of El Paso should also not allow soldiers to use what the city outside of Bliss has to offer? Same argument you're using....

Old 04-26-2013, 10:56 AM

6 posts, read 6,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packalphadog View Post
So I guess the citizens of El Paso are not allowing the soldiers to use their base facilities? I work on Bliss as a federal law enforcement officer (who incidentally also risk our lives), and I see no deterrant to soldiers using their facilities. I guess the citizens of El Paso should also not allow soldiers to use what the city outside of Bliss has to offer? Same argument you're using....

Federal Law Enforcement Officer? Let me guess, you check IDs at the gates.....in all my many years in the military I can count on one hand how many Law Enforcement Officials on a Military Post in the US have been injured. So to compare your "risk" to those serving in the Armed Forces deployed to a hostile area is offensive to those who serve.

And it is not the same argument. I use off post facilities because I pay thousands in property taxes to improve this city, as well as sales tax at the register. Fort Bliss being a open post is the exception, and not the rule because most military bases do not allow that. So if you want the right to use what some die for, then join the military.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:02 PM

643 posts, read 1,312,769 times
Bama, I thank you for your service. The last time I checked we have a volunteer Armed Forces. You choose to join for the benefits, your patriotism or whatever your motivation may be. Just because you chose to do so doesn't make you more patriotic or less patriotic than a civilian. If Ft. Bliss chooses to open the gates to the public then you should respect that and not say we shouldn't. I would also die for this country, but I am not in the armed forces.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:02 AM

21 posts, read 68,251 times
Let me preface with a disclaimer - I am biased in favor of El Paso. ( also I have to use the "c" button on my ceybord in place of that other letter that sounds lie a hard "c" as my granddaughter has assaulted my ceybord with yogurt.

Firstly, Bamacrazy - You are out of line. You come across to me as someone who would probably get very outraged if someone ever questioned your service to this country yet you readily, and somewhat childishly, questioned Alphadogs. Don't do that. It maces you looc bad especially when you suggest that the employees of the private security firm that contracts to provide ECP personnel at Ft Bliss are Federal Law Enforcement Officers. That is just silly.

Ft Bliss is not only home to dedicated and praiseworthy military personnel but also to a large number of Federal Law Enforcement from DEA, FBI, Customs and Border Security, and many others ( sorry for those that I surely forgot). If you dont understand that these Men and Women are going into harms way for us every day, then you need to do some research. They deserve our respect and admiration.

Stella - All cities are unique and offer different things to different people. No one will love every city they visit or live in. Based on your first post, I suspect that El Paso is not the best fit for you. Nothing wrong with that, its just the way it is. The truth of the matter is that you made some valid points about El Paso. I also had concerns before moving there and actually tried quite hard to NOT go there. However, I fell in love with that city within the first month there despite the fact that I never did find a good Italian restaurant, despite the fact that the desert winds do blow a bit of trash around. Despite the fact that, as you said, the city is quite remote and somewhat isolated. Despite the fact there is no Waffle House (this is actually the worst thing about El Paso by the way).

My third day in El Paso I was at Dyer and Ellethorpe and a late model SUV stalled in the left turn late. Two young boys got out and started pushing it. Right away 4 different people from four different cars got and and helped. A couple of days later I was at the Walmart off TransMountain and a young couple was trying to put a crib/baby bed type thing into the rear seat of their Hyundai. No less than 20 people ended up gathered around that car trying to figure out a way to get that dang thing in there. I used to shop in a marcada on Hondo where no one spoce English. Every single time I went in there a local offered to help me pic out food or communicate with the owners. The wife of the family who owned the place regularly helped me pic out peppers even though we could not communicate verbally.

My point is that cities are just places where a bunch of people live and it is not the place, but the people that matter. If you get out and move amongst the people of El Paso, if you get into conversations, if you listen to the voices of the people you will grow to love that city. Stop worrying about things. Restaurants and museums are nice, but they are not essential and they certainly do not define or represent the spirit of a place. Learn to embrace the spirit of El Paso. Learn to embrace the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso