Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2007, 09:30 PM

5 posts, read 45,229 times

Advertisements

Hello all;

I have been offered a nice job at Fort Bliss, Texas, and will probably be moving in the next couple of months to that area from Arizona.

My question, what area would be better, El Paso or Las Cruces, looking at following factors?:

Cost of Living: Housing costs, Taxes such as income tax, personal property, sales, etc.

Any other factors you feel are important, such as better neighborhoods to live in.

I have done some preliminary research on these areas, but would like to hear from those folks that live in either state, esp. those that have lived in both.

Thanks, Joel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 10:53 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,960,642 times
You do know that Las Cruces is like an Hour or more out of town, and the gas would be killer on you to go back and forth everyday?

New Mexico, has a state income tax, Texas does not. Something to consider.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:34 AM

5 posts, read 45,229 times
I'm not crazy about a commute, although it could be done. I understand about no state income tax in TX, but I have heard that property taxes are much higher in EP than LC. Would it be a wash?

Just trying to figure out the tradeoffs...

Joel

Old 12-16-2007, 10:42 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaz View Post
I'm not crazy about a commute, although it could be done. I understand about no state income tax in TX, but I have heard that property taxes are much higher in EP than LC. Would it be a wash?

Just trying to figure out the tradeoffs...

Joel
A lot of people live in New Mexico for that reason but you don't need to go all the way to Las Cruces to live in New Mexico. You can live right outside of El Paso and be in New Mexico.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:25 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,918,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
A lot of people live in New Mexico for that reason but you don't need to go all the way to Las Cruces to live in New Mexico. You can live right outside of El Paso and be in New Mexico.
Yeah, Sunland Park, NM is right on the city limits.

Personally I would say Las Cruces if you like a less urban environment. Las Cruces lacks the traffic, etc. that is associated with El Paso. However, if you want airports, bigger mall real close by, then El Paso would be your best choice.

I would say El Paso property taxes are worse than New Mexico income taxes. Just my opinion.

Best of Luck with your decision. I think you will be happy with either city, its just how happy would you be with a commute?

Would you rather have a long drive to work, or a lot of traffic (comparatively) going to a movie, or the grocery store. There are trade offs.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:34 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,960,642 times
Well the gas cost and the time cost out weigh any cost of property tax.

But there is Chapperal NM, Santa Teresa NM as well to consider. I would not live in Sunland Park NM.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:18 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,633,610 times
I know i'm biased but i'd choose the far Northeast El Paso. Your living in EP with all the amenities close by and yet feel like your living in a separate city about the size of Midland/Odessa as Northeast is isolated from the rest of EP.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:18 AM

421 posts, read 2,157,076 times
If you really want to live in NM, I'd choose the santa teresa area. There's also a lot of land being bought out in the valley all the way through la union. Lots of nice property, but it's getting expensive. Most of the NM land is undeveloped (or in the process of), so you'll probably have to build something instead of settling into already established neighborhoods just across the state line in the same area.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:20 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,394,001 times
As far as areas of El Paso, I like the west side the most.
It is more ethnically diverse, safe and has the best schools. Also, you're close to Las Cruces and the new outlet mall. The air seems to be cleaner also.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:45 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I know i'm biased but i'd choose the far Northeast El Paso. Your living in EP with all the amenities close by and yet feel like your living in a separate city about the size of Midland/Odessa as Northeast is isolated from the rest of EP.
That's one thing you can say about El Paso -- it really is like several small towns close together. I think that's true of all parts of town -- they each feel like living in a small town because each are somewhat isolated. The beauty of having a mountain dividing the city -- and the bases limiting where sprawl can go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso