Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 09:33 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I was looking at a possible job in El Paso. I only drove through 1 time and from the interstate...not too impressive. I lived for several years in Tucson and enjoyed it there, so I am "in" for the desert. Can anybody provide any nice neighborhoods where it is a little more scenic and away from the industry? Are there any nice areas at all close to the border...I would need to go into Mexico quite a bit for the job. Or would it be an awful commute? Say around $200k house range? Any feedback is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 02:30 PM

254 posts, read 790,178 times
Default nice places

The Upper Valley (or west side) is a good place to live. The schools are good (if you have kids) and the people are diverse. I would think twice abt. moving here though. I've lived here for 6 yrs.now and if i have a choice I won't be here at all. Finally moving , just waiting to sell my house! Property taxes are ridiculously high considering the quality of life is bad. I have a 150K house and paying almost 4K in property taxes, car insurance is high as well. Good luck though!

Old 11-08-2007, 03:20 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,953,720 times
I have to second what NIXAU27 said.. I'm outta here as soon as I can.. Telling my family that if they want my help to move to where I am.. I am not coming back again.. I'll be homeless before I come back here ever again.

STAY AWAY FROM EL PASO! You have been warned.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:32 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times
Hmmm, well, thanks??

Old 11-08-2007, 03:45 PM

421 posts, read 2,156,461 times
Hehe, I'm of the sentiment it's not that bad. You just have to understand the pros and cons of this city. The westside/upper valley is always a good choice for new comers. Unfortunately I wouldn't envy you if you'd be working across the border. The wait times on the bridge are especially bad lately.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:51 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,953,720 times
Holmes Traffic is getting as bad as Dallas and Houston, and it will be much worse in just a years time 40 thousand new people here and thats not counting the spouses, the kids and the other people who will move here to support the expanding military.. this city still thinks its a small border town... and not the mega city it is becoming.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:04 PM

722 posts, read 2,100,990 times
Upper Valley and West El Paso.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:31 PM

21 posts, read 110,200 times
I'm no El Paso fan either (okay, I hate it), but there are some wonderful, safe, clean neighborhoods other than the on the Westside and the Upper Valley.

My absolute favorite area of the city for residential living is Central El Paso, EAST of U.S. Highway 54. The Radford Hills and Austin Terrace neighborhoods are so lovely and safe, with lots of dog-walking and jogging. Radford Hills, along Radford Street, runs north and south from the Pershing Gate extrance/exit of Fort Bliss and connects with the Austin Terrace Historical District.

Beginning north at the Pershing Gate, the area includes Roger Bacon Seminary (recently refurbished - looks amazing), Radford School, the mansions (yes, REALLY!) of Austin Terrace, along with smaller homes. Head east a couple of blocks to Loretto Academy, and back north to Pennsylvania Circle (a must-see at Christmas), and across Hastings Drive to St. Anthony's Seminary.

It's gorgeous, it's safe, and while many covet the area, only a few buy there - those who know about it. Sky-high property taxes, though. New homes are being built on what used to be an empty lot and/or bird trail where elder residents went for nature walks back in the day. The lot is directly across from Radford School.

My parents' neighbor, a 40-something single father, lives in a lovey and large home. His daughter recently graduated from one of the private schools mentioned, and he works in Juarez with no more than an eight or ten minute drive to the bridge.

The public elementary school and the high school (Burges not Austin!) are very good. However, what used to be a great junior high is now a middle school with a horrible reputation, since creating alternative classrooms for the city's thugs. Other than that, the area is a precious diamond in the rough.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:01 PM

5 posts, read 18,123 times
Right on, that area is a fine area & centralized.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:32 PM

421 posts, read 2,156,461 times
If you like old homes with a lot of character, then yes, the city's got 'em. There are other nice areas in central. I admit, austin terrace is nice. My neighborhood, sunset heights, is to the northwest of downtown and is still in a transitional period. But hey, we got our share of mansions over here too. If you're willing to invest in a fixer upper you can still get very good deals on homes over here. I also know of some very nice, fixed-up homes on the market that are already move-in ready. I know not everybody's into the old house thing, but they do deserve a second glance. I love how we're centrally located to the rest of the city and just minutes from downtown & the kern area. I suggest taking a look around the older neighborhoods. You just might find something that you fall in love with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso