Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 08:30 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times

Advertisements

Great info, thanks. Here is an odd questions....is there any side of EP that tends to be hotter/colder on the extreme summer days and Winter nights? Does a certain section get more rain/storms during the summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 10:12 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
When we get rain we get scattered thunderstorms. Sometimes the eastside will get hit, sometimes the west. Downtown does get yellow smog on winter evenings (temperature inversion?). Driving south on I-10 you enter the smog bank south of Executive Drive & around UTEP.
There isn't much housing in walking distance of downtown and if there is it can be too hot to be out. The question then is if you want to drive or take the bus to work. If you have 'judicial work' then are you at the courthouse building east of downtown? I don't know the bus situation there. If I was single & working downtown I'd live up Mesa for an easier commute (vs the east side) - from UTEP area up to Sunland Park Drive. If I went east it would be for rental houses north I-10 as far east as Hawkins/Cielo Vista Mall.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:17 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Great info, thanks. Here is an odd questions....is there any side of EP that tends to be hotter/colder on the extreme summer days and Winter nights?
The mountain has a definite effect for those people who live on its slopes. Sunrise and sunset are affected by the shadow, depending on which side you're on. So hot summer days tend to cool earlier if you live up against the mountain on the east side. And cold winter mornings warm more slowly on the west side.

Also, there is a significant effect from wind downdrafts on the east side. Wind shear occurs when the prevailing westerly winds blow hardest, as they do every year during windy season. This shear creates a downdraft effect much like an ocean breaker on a beach front. It can sound as if a plane lands on your roof when that "ocean breaker" impacts your house. I recall one house on Magnetic that was actually moved from its foundation by such a wind blast, and of course roof shingles and other objects go flying.

The smog can be significantly worse the closer to Juarez you live, especially in winter heating season. The flatter part of the region either side of the Rio Grande flood plain tends to trap smog in seasonal temperature inversions. Back in the days when the smelter was in operation, there would be days when people could hardly breathe due to the heavy sulfurous fumes in the air. On the worst days today, the smog can fill the desert basin all the way up the Tularosa Basin into New Mexico.

Other than that, weather tends to not vary that much in the metro area. There was once a time when the worst summer thunderstorms built up to the east of El Paso and then moved across the desert toward El Paso, preceded by a wall of dust. That pattern seems to have changed in the last 10-15 years, IMO.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:58 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,973 times
I would look into Sunset Heights. Walking distance to downtown (and to restaurants/bars in Union Plaza if thats your thing), the traffic is calm despite the number of UTEP students, its close to I-10, and there are some great apartments in the area. I lived there for a few years and always felt safe.

Though you might have to drive/walk around to find a unit available, as a lot of the landlords around there don't post to Craigslist or other online sources.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:02 PM

Thanks everyone. Today I drove around, I saw the west side, Sunset Heights, Central. and East. I even saw what I think they call the lower valley. Most áreas seemed very liveable. I liked that far east, but people on here and in person have confirmed that traffic is pretty bad coming from that way. Does anyone know about "The Venue" on Mesa Dr? It looked very nice, but I couldn't find pricing online. It's a new, brightly colored complex with shops on the first level and nice views. I also saw the vistas from Sunset and they were nice as well.

I see EP has so much potential, there are so many old buildings with tons of characeter, but they just haven't been maintained. I hope that changes.

I haven't made any decisions yet, but when I do I will be sure to post back and hopefully help out other people who are moving to the área. Thanks again everyone and any other additional or random info is apprecited!

Old 09-30-2013, 08:05 PM

Prcing at: Venue at Montecillo, The | Apartments for Rent in El Paso, TX
Click on a floor plan.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:07 PM

Thanks, I did that already and they don't include pricing info on their web page. hmmmm.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:35 PM

575 posts, read 884,303 times
here are the prices at the Monticello according to apartment finder:

Venue at Montecillo, The Apartments for Rent - El Paso, TX Apartments | Apartment Finder

Old 09-30-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Thanks, I did that already and they don't include pricing info on their web page. hmmmm.
Click on a floor plan to see pricing.
http://www.thevenueatmontecillo.com/floor.asp

Old 09-30-2013, 10:19 PM

Thanks, to both of you. Kind of expensive, what do you all think, is it worth it or way overpriced? I like how they look and the location seems convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: