Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 01:29 PM

575 posts, read 884,169 times

Advertisements

what are you being employed as?

Just curious, since there does seem to be a lot of folk being hired from outside of town, and I'd like to know what our local job seekers are missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 01:57 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times
I can't speak for others, but my job is with the judicial system.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,650 times
I moved to El Paso in December, 2012. I am an interior designer. In my field, the biggest drawback to hiring locals is the lack of a four-year degree in the interior design field (or equivalent credentials). Meanwhile, students who leave El Paso to pursue a four-year degree rarely return. Opportunities and money are greater elsewhere. The cost of the education warrants a better return on one's investment.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:12 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregk20421 View Post
I moved to El Paso in December, 2012. I am an interior designer. In my field, the biggest drawback to hiring locals is the lack of a four-year degree in the interior design field (or equivalent credentials). Meanwhile, students who leave El Paso to pursue a four-year degree rarely return. Opportunities and money are greater elsewhere. The cost of the education warrants a better return on one's investment.
Yes I think that's it. The locals go away for their education and for some reason decide they like it better elsewhere even though El Paso has the best weather.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:45 PM

524 posts, read 1,369,903 times
I left ELP...because I could not find a job there..but it looks like more than likely ..I will return..after I finish my career as a teacher..I know about the weather...I grew up there..

Old 10-01-2013, 05:10 PM

575 posts, read 884,169 times
so, El Pasoans leave town to look for work . . . but we end up importing people to fill jobs. Seems screwy to me.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:32 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet West View Post
so, El Pasoans leave town to look for work . . . but we end up importing people to fill jobs. Seems screwy to me.
It always amazes me how many people who grow up here hate the summers saying they're too hot, but most people from elsewhere really love the weather here.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:20 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times
At my job, the director (who is clearly successful professionally) said he had obtained an advanced degree at a university, but then had to get an additional degree in a less pretigious field, in order to STAY in El Paso...or else he would have had to move away. He said all of his children ended up moving away. I don't know how common that is for most people.

I suppose there are people who move away for more opportunities, while others just want something different. There is something to be said about living in an isolated región, people want to explore and move away when they can. I think that happens in many áreas. You always see people from the Midwest moving to California, Texas or the Sun Belt. It seems normal to me, and a good thing. It helps communities mature with new perspectives. Where I am coming from, we had the same issue. New hires from out of the area were chosen over local applicants. Who knows, maybe it's the grass is greener on the other side mentality. I just wanted to share that this seems to be a common thread in most places.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:52 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Who knows, maybe it's the grass is greener on the other side mentality. I just wanted to share that this seems to be a common thread in most places.
I can't speak for others, obviously. When I was a kid growing up in El Paso, I had extended family on both mom and dad sides. Grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins ALL lived in El Paso. But my generation was the one that moved away. Call us WWII babies or whatever. So what in effect happened is most of my cousins moved away but the older folks all expired in El Paso. I still have two cousins on my mom's side and a sister and niece on my dad's side who have lived all of their lives in El Paso.

I myself couldn't wait to leave El Paso, which I did for the first time in 1962. I moved back, spent another 8 years here, then left for good in 1975. I now hate it when I have to drive to the desert from my retirement aerie in Ruidoso, so visits to El Paso are for doctor appointments only these days.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso