Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 05:08 PM

639 posts, read 1,042,816 times

Advertisements

It's very true that some new buildings in downtown El Paso would look great against the Franklin Mountains, but for the time being expect the new Federal Court House to be the only notable structure built in downtown from 2001 through 2010 time span.

Theres plenty of vacant office space and there has been talk about a new downtown hotel ever since 1971 and yet nothing to date has been built except for the renovation and tower addition to the Camino Real Paso del Norte Hotel financed by the bankrupt and no longer existant Franklin Land Corporation.

I also understand that there is some parking lot owner that owns several parking lots in downtown El Paso that dont want to buldge or cooperate with the downtown plan, but will see if he is willing to sell at a reasonable price.

Also for future speculation: those here that are under thirty years of age will probably get to see El Paso build buildings sixty stories tall when they reach the age of 70 or 80, and for those of us now that are over the hill (past 50) this is the end of the ride, will be lucky if were around by the time they break ground for a new downtown arena.

Now lets hope everything is done and built before December 21, 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 10:35 PM

29 posts, read 115,714 times
In February or March, Brent Harris/Paul Foster are going to announce a revitalization project around the Mills Building. They are planning to restore the Mills to its original splendor:

Scaffolding is scheduled to go up in mid-2008, and they're actually going to put a huge tarp over it and keep it covered until it is ready for unveiling, according to Harris.

They also purchased the property immediately north of the Mills, which currently houses a Sun Metro kiosk. Their plan is to create a replica of a hotel which used to sit at that very location nearly 100 years ago, which will have retail storefronts, and also will hide a parking structure in the back.

The revitalization project will include "several buildings" in the area, according to Harris, who owns the Centre Building (old White House), right next to the Mills Building. He spoke at the latest TIRZ board meeting.

These may not be gleaming towers, but this will certainly add to the atmosphere of positive investment in downtown, and hopefully act as a catalyst for further large investments.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:00 PM

879 posts, read 3,036,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mando111 View Post
In February or March, Brent Harris/Paul Foster are going to announce a revitalization project around the Mills Building. They are planning to restore the Mills to its original splendor:

Scaffolding is scheduled to go up in mid-2008, and they're actually going to put a huge tarp over it and keep it covered until it is ready for unveiling, according to Harris.

They also purchased the property immediately north of the Mills, which currently houses a Sun Metro kiosk. Their plan is to create a replica of a hotel which used to sit at that very location nearly 100 years ago, which will have retail storefronts, and also will hide a parking structure in the back.

The revitalization project will include "several buildings" in the area, according to Harris, who owns the Centre Building (old White House), right next to the Mills Building. He spoke at the latest TIRZ board meeting.

These may not be gleaming towers, but this will certainly add to the atmosphere of positive investment in downtown, and hopefully act as a catalyst for further large investments.
Awesome news Mando! This will be a great step forward for our downtown. I can't wait to see how our downtown will look like a few years from now.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:09 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
That old picture reminded me of one of my favorites.. one of BIGGS AIR FIELD back when it was an Air Force base.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c149/MuhnayShot/Biggs_afb_gate2.jpg (broken link)

Now isn't that cool!

Old 01-25-2008, 08:32 AM

421 posts, read 2,156,064 times
Quote:

Foster's plans for the Mills building are pretty well known, but I hadn't heard anything about the property to its north. That is wonderful news if they do in fact plan to recreate the building that was once there. Where'd you come across this info?

Old 01-25-2008, 10:29 AM

2,625 posts, read 11,215,716 times
Quote:

Mr mando you are the man im my eyes, i was reading that they want to move the main loading station of Sun Metro, from the "Plazita" to the Union Plaza Transit Center, that would aleviate alot of traffic woes and we can finally clean San Jacino plaza, and if the project you mentioned goes through, that is going to be a sight to see, hopefully everything starts rolling along pretty soon, im excited!! They should build a nice upscale restaurant around the plaza theater, I think it would work, I remember when I was young, my Grandparents used to take my Aunt & I to watch movies at the old Plaza, and also my mom & I, used to go eat at Comos when it used to be right next to the Plaza.El Paso Times - City considers moving bus hub to Union Plaza

Last edited by LEVOW; 01-25-2008 at 10:38 AM..

Old 01-25-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes View Post
Foster's plans for the Mills building are pretty well known, but I hadn't heard anything about the property to its north. That is wonderful news if they do in fact plan to recreate the building that was once there. Where'd you come across this info?
I first stumbled across the sale of the property while looking at the City Council meeting agenda for 1/22. It is currently owned by the city, so the council has to vote on the final contract of the sale, which is supposed to take place 1/29. According to the contract, the buyer must develop the property in accordance with a conceptual drawing that had been submitted to the city (Exhibit B, #6). The drawing is unfortunately not included as part of the online agenda item. http://www.elpasotexas.gov/muni_cler...8/01290812.pdf

Then, while I was watching the videos for the December and January meetings of the TIRZ board, Director of the Economic Development Dept. of the city Kathy Dodson gave updates on downtown projects. During this time, she mentioned the sale of the property and described what the buyer intended to do with it. In the January meeting, Brent Harris describes what is being done to the Mills Bldg., then does a fantastic teaser about what will be announced "next month."

You can check out the video on the following city website. Scroll down to the "Other" section and select which TIRZ meeting you'd like to view. They're both just over 1 hour in length, but you can try and find Kathy Dodson's updates by clicking at different intervals:
www.elpasotexas.gov - City of El Paso

Old 01-26-2008, 05:12 AM

Quote:

I wonder if they are planing of recreating the old St Regis Hotel that was mysteriously set on fire, it's the red building on the right of the Mills building,
back when they were getting ready to renovate the Mills building era 1974, the building caught fire one night.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
Mr mando you are the man im my eyes, i was reading that they want to move the main loading station of Sun Metro, from the "Plazita" to the Union Plaza Transit Center, that would aleviate alot of traffic woes and we can finally clean San Jacino plaza, and if the project you mentioned goes through, that is going to be a sight to see, hopefully everything starts rolling along pretty soon, im excited!!
I'm excited too, LEVOW. Kathy Dodson stated in one of the TIRZ meetings that the city would like redesign San Jacinto Plaza to make it a much better public space. She also mentioned that she expected the parking lot across Main St. from San Jacinto to be developed as well, so we'll have to see what comes of that.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:43 PM

What would be really nice and that is if they would expand San Jancinto Plaza by closing down Main street and extending San Jancinto Plaza it into that parking lot along with putting a cover over that trench that is the Bataan Memorial Railway.

Also at the Civic Center, what a beautiful complex of buildings and we have city hall which is not a bad looking building itself, but then guess what?

Theres that ugly trench seperating city hall with the civic center, why cant they cover it after all these years it has always been an eyesore, they could cover it and create a huge plaza style atmosphere, then they could add a notable memorial above for the Bataan Memorial.

If they are really serious about fixing up downtown El Paso, they should take all into consideration including that trench.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso