Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 11:04 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

But I think it's racist to refer to someone as "anglo" because it assumes that everyone not from Mexico is of British origin -- completely ignoring that their ancestry may be Polish, Swedish, German, Italian and so on.
Remember that a modern day Mexican is a mix of bloods.
The make up could be any # of indian tribes, to spanish, french with some german and african.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:05 AM

639 posts, read 1,043,756 times
There is discrimination in ohter cities against hispanics as well,infact it pretty common, so I SALUTE EL PASO for holdings it's own ground.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:16 AM

639 posts, read 1,043,756 times
I never seen much African in Mexicans as It's more commonly African Caucasian mixture here in the states,I also see alot of creo French/African, the only Africans in Mexico are desendents of the slaves that fled the South during the famous days of slavery, the Germans in Mexico are very distinctive people they dont mingle out side of their race, and the French and Spanish well they give some Mexicans their blue eyes and blond hair and handsome looks, but that dos'nt prove anything.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH!Lonesome View Post
I never seen much African in Mexicans as It's more commonly African Caucasian mixture here in the states,I also see alot of creo French/African, the only Africans in Mexico are desendents of the slaves that fled the South during the famous days of slavery, the Germans in Mexico are very distinctive people they dont mingle out side of their race, and the French and Spanish well they give some Mexicans their blue eyes and blond hair and handsome looks, but that dos'nt prove anything.
It proves that mexicans are just as mixed as anybody else.
To be racist against "anglos" makes no sense.
Just as is their claim of lands and culture of the past. The anasazi or "ancient ones" would have nothing to do with these modern mexicans. The would skin them alive if they associated themselves with them.
A mexican is as corrupt as anybody in the west. Lifestyles are nothing of the native and "pure" past. Just look at the current state of Mexico.
There is no room for racism anywhere. No more we are better than you, we were here first, we know better...........the natives, and their culture, language and lands no longer exist. Lets not live in a time warp
Everyone has become or will become very similar as the ages go by. Welcome to the 21st century

Last edited by WildWestDude; 11-25-2007 at 12:45 PM..

Old 11-25-2007, 12:44 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH!Lonesome View Post
Of course there is -- what do you think became of the African slaves in Mexico? Menudo was brought into Mexico by Africans in the Veracruz region. Ever hear of Gaspar Yanga? Even the Olmec heads left hint at African origins.

Mexico is a mixed race nation just as is the USA. I've known many Mexicans directly from Mexico with Syrian, Lebanese, German, Jewish, French, Polish, Irish, Chinese ancestry -- as well as various Indian ethnicities. I know several Mexican dual citizens that are half-German. Vicente Fox himself had an Irish-American grandfather.

You go down to Mexico City -- you will see a whole lot of people with a variety of ethnic ancestries there.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Of course there is -- what do you think became of the African slaves in Mexico? Menudo was brought into Mexico by Africans in the Veracruz region. Ever hear of Gaspar Yanga? Even the Olmec heads left hint at African origins.

Mexico is a mixed race nation just as is the USA. I've known many Mexicans directly from Mexico with Syrian, Lebanese, German, Jewish, French, Polish, Irish, Chinese ancestry -- as well as various Indian ethnicities. I know several Mexican dual citizens that are half-German. Vicente Fox himself had an Irish-American grandfather.

You go down to Mexico City -- you will see a whole lot of people with a variety of ethnic ancestries there.
+1
Right on!

Old 11-27-2007, 09:52 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times
I am a white guy but can speak pretty good Spanish. Does that help with the Mexican population or is there really an anti-white attitude?

Old 11-27-2007, 10:54 AM

2,625 posts, read 11,218,834 times
It depends what part of town your in, but for the most part, you'll be okay, alot of mexican girls like caucasians like yourself, shoot, "they wanna be homeowners too" [lol]

Old 11-28-2007, 09:53 AM

385 posts, read 1,555,912 times
What part of town are we speaking of? My work takes me all over El Paso. I am as white as they come. Nobody in six years of living and working here has ever treated me poorly because of race. Now, I have seen racism unquestionably because, like I said, everybody is racist to some degree about somebody or group. I have seen it more with children, oddly, than adults and I chalk that up to poor parenting. I think some of this has to do with my attitude. I am not a white person who fears that we are being taken over by Mexicans or anybody else. I do not give off the vibe that I think it is rude to speak Spanish in my presence. In fact, I do speak Spanish moderately and when someone speaks to me in Spanish I am not crazy off my rocker with the English only stuff. So, I think I could probably muster up some anti-anglo sentiment down at Starbucks today quite easily-but I wouldn't.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:54 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times
That is good to hear, thanks..we might be moving there and I was a little concerned about my family getting some "reverse discrimination". We actually lived in Mexico for a time with my work and my older kid speaks Spanish. We never felt any discrimination in Mexico itself and enjoyed the people we met. I think there is more race issues on both sides in the United States because of the whole illegal immigrant issue. It gets people emotional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso