Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 05:24 PM

643 posts, read 1,315,009 times

Advertisements

Here is the question that I have. I am currently looking at building a wood fired oven in the corner of my yard. The issue is is that I have an electrical pole in the corner and if I build in front if it what can the electric company do? Can they ask me to remove it? It's the best location, but I'm concerned with the easement. Any pointers or similar stories would help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 06:07 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,175,469 times
Ummmm...any reason you can't simply call them and ask them to have a look?

Old 01-16-2014, 09:19 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,287,705 times
Default Check your documentation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCCW View Post
Here is the question that I have. I am currently looking at building a wood fired oven in the corner of my yard. The issue is is that I have an electrical pole in the corner and if I build in front if it what can the electric company do? Can they ask me to remove it? It's the best location, but I'm concerned with the easement. Any pointers or similar stories would help!
If you own the home, meaning you purchased it, in all the paperwork you signed, there will be a document from the title company that is a survey of your property. The easements will be clearly delineated, no questions. The city will most likely tell you not to build on it, they can come and rip it up without a penny of compensation. Most people usually landscape on it, no problems, but you are not allowed to build permanent structures on it.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:29 PM

135 posts, read 241,449 times
Have you talked to the city and gotten any necessary permits? They would also be able to address your questions and concerns best.. also call the Electric company and see what the rules are.

Oh if the city comes out and removes it.. they will send you a bill to pay, don't pay the bill they can then dock pay or even take your home.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:57 PM

643 posts, read 1,315,009 times
My house was built in 1967 and this pole has probably been in the yard going on about 40+ years. I went ahead and built the oven. I left some room for access, obviously. I'm pretty sure there won't be any issues and if there are any I'll deal with it then. Thanks for the help!

Old 01-21-2014, 10:41 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,125,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCCW View Post
My house was built in 1967 and this pole has probably been in the yard going on about 40+ years. I went ahead and built the oven. I left some room for access, obviously. I'm pretty sure there won't be any issues and if there are any I'll deal with it then. Thanks for the help!
I would have done the same thing. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso