Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 03:37 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post

Call me crazy but after having lived there for only 6 months, I want to settle down there. It's a big enough city where you have 99% of what you want/need yet small enough to not have the major big city problems like L.A., Chicago, etc...
Definitely. Living in a city under a million is the way to go. More affordable, tighter community, less commuting time, more time spent relaxing with a cold one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 07:24 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCCW View Post
9162, I'd like to see some data to back that claim up. Anybody can spew whatever they want. When they show data? It makes it believable. Other than that it's just talk.
Even a cursory look at any data, or even the slightest notice of media attention focused on Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, San Antonio or Austin is pretty clear cut. Did you bother to notice a recent issue of Time magazine focused on Texas by any chance? Read the Wall Street Journal at all? It doesn't take a genius; El Paso's only claim to fame is Fort Bliss. Period.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:55 AM

2,619 posts, read 6,136,259 times
Fort Bliss is a valuable part of the El Paso community. Socially, Culturally, and Financially. But our only claim to fame? I disagree.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:36 AM

643 posts, read 1,313,175 times
9162, I did read the article. I have customers in all the major cities in Texas; Houston, Dallas, San Antonio. Also, some of the smaller ones; Waco, Midland/Odessa. I travel there quite often.

The article didn't say much about El Paso as much as it touted the business sectors of other larger cities. You really haven't posted much other than some old magazine covers and a chart recruiting people to do business in Houston. Please try again.

Back to the OP's original question. I would still recommend you come and visit to get a feel for the city.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:29 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
Fort Bliss is a valuable part of the El Paso community. Socially, Culturally, and Financially. But our only claim to fame? I disagree.
I disagree as well. Now I've been to a few military posts, been a few places in general and I can say for certain that El Paso would still be alive and well if Ft. Bliss went away. Would there be some problems in the short term? Of course since you're talking about thousands of people moving away. But El Paso is a big enough city to stand on its own.

Take a trip to a place like Ft. Polk, LA and Leesville. If Ft. Polk went away, Leesville would just disappear.

Quote:
Back to the OP's original question. I would still recommend you come and visit to get a feel for the city.
And that's the thing, most people who bad mouth El Paso usually seem to be a combination of people who have either never been in El Paso before or just heard stuff from other people who have never been to El Paso before.

Old timer once told me years ago: young man, don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:47 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Even a cursory look at any data, or even the slightest notice of media attention focused on Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, San Antonio or Austin is pretty clear cut. Did you bother to notice a recent issue of Time magazine focused on Texas by any chance? Read the Wall Street Journal at all? It doesn't take a genius; El Paso's only claim to fame is Fort Bliss. Period.
Fort Bliss is what provides the economy for the middle class here.

There's still that very big money that comes from us being the flip side of Juarez for the drug trade. It's not in too many cities, plumbers find a million dollars hidden inside walls. And the schools and health care bring in a lot of federal dollars - look at all those clinics called "teen centers", they are bringing in the big medicaid dollars. Food stamps keep the grocery stores thriving.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:43 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,885 times
9162 seems to have a chip on his shoulder. He found some add data that means nothing. They talk about the 4 major cities not the entire state. Note that Austin is not even mentioned yet it is prospering too much - too crowded. Nor is San Antonio mentioned. El Paso's West Side and Lower Valley have little to do with Ft Bliss. UTEP gets along fine without Bliss and has gotten El Paso more attention. If he can't find a date or a job --it probably reflects on him ore than on the city.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
9162, I did read the article. I have customers in all the major cities in Texas; Houston, Dallas, San Antonio. Also, some of the smaller ones; Waco, Midland/Odessa. I travel there quite often.

The article didn't say much about El Paso as much as it touted the business sectors of other larger cities. You really haven't posted much other than some old magazine covers and a chart recruiting people to do business in Houston. Please try again.

Did you lose track of the topic? The original comment you disputed was my point that El Paso is not as prosperous as all the other TX metro areas. You kind of just proved my point. Now the burden is on you; can you prove that El Paso is doing as well as Austin, Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, or San Antonio? Truth is you can't. El Paso has the highest unemployment of the large metro areas in TX. Most jobs in EP are minimum wage jobs, and many employers will discriminate if you don't speak fluent Spanish.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:39 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
El Paso's only claim to fame is Fort Bliss. Period.
El Paso's main link is and always has been proximity to Mexico. If you think Ft. Bliss is all there is to EP you clearly haven't been keeping up.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
El Paso's main link is and always has been proximity to Mexico. If you think Ft. Bliss is all there is to EP you clearly haven't been keeping up.
So are you saying that the drug cartels, and the steady flow of undocumented immigrants/asylum seekers is the main draw? Can't argue there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso