Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 02:39 PM

28 posts, read 53,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH!Lonesome View Post
It would be nice if El Paso would build something taller than the 21 story Wells Fargo building, actually the State National Bank built that one back in 69-71, now heres what was planed at one time but never got built.

Mountain Bell once planed to build a 21 story building in downtown, never happen
Border Tabaco Center once planed to build a 28 story hotel, never happen
Sheraton Hotel once planed to build a 32 story never happen.
Hilton Corporation once planed to build a 22 story tower on top of the Greyhound bus terminal, now El Paso museum of art, never happen.
First Savings and Loans once planed to build 20 story tower never happen
American Bank of Commerce once planed to built a 11 story tower, never happen
there was a 25 story Avianca Tower condominium planed for downtown never happen
Circle K was suppose to move their headquarters from Phoenix to downtown El Paso since they were founded in El Paso, never happen.
a 25 story Hyatt Regency was once planed next to the Civic Center, never happen
a 11 Bassett Plaza was once planed in Bassete Center never happen
a 11 story College Plaza Professional building was planed on Mesa St near UTEP, never happen.
El Paso Plaza, a 10 story retirement center below Scenic Dr, never happen.

I know this because I've been a highrise enthusiast since I started to compare Albuquerque against El Paso back around 1969 when they first built Surety Tower, most of you people were probably not around yet, but I use to vission El Paso as a tall city in west Texas future.
That new tower under constrution now is a Federal Courthouse, not county.
and the new Childrens hospital will be about 10 stories and thats about it, unless the sea levels rise as expected maybe then big companies in coastal cities will re consider relocation to higher elevations like El Paso.
I was going by this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 11:03 PM

14 posts, read 20,561 times
Wow even Midland is getting a new skyscraper.

//www.city-data.com/forum/texas...r-midland.html

Old 04-23-2013, 01:49 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 915-512 View Post

Yeah, but still...its Midland.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:26 PM

28 posts, read 53,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 915-512 View Post

I knew it'd be big when I read 59 stories. Then I look at the picture and sure enough is huge,...

Old 04-23-2013, 08:33 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Have not been in El Paso for 35 years. All I remember was that it was hot and reminded me of a small town. For the sake of respect and status it would be good to punch up your sky line. You can't stay a small border town for ever...If you do decay will set in. It's a worth while place from what I remember...Pleasant people and that exotic desert feel....Taking a swim in an EL Paso pool on a summer night is like a hot bath...The climate was extreme..which make the place very interesting.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:08 PM

10 posts, read 13,466 times
With the new ballpark coming to Downtown next year, is there any news of any skyscrapers that are going to be built in Downtown? I know experts say that businesses will come, but will that also bring skyscrapers?

Old 04-28-2013, 01:59 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarmo View Post
With the new ballpark coming to Downtown next year, is there any news of any skyscrapers that are going to be built in Downtown? I know experts say that businesses will come, but will that also bring skyscrapers?
The ball park will be an eye sore. It is a big mistake, one that the tax payers will have to live with.

El Paso,TX

Old 04-29-2013, 12:48 PM

422 posts, read 1,294,763 times
the ballpark will not be an eyesore...can't get much worst than solar toaster with its giant asphalt parking lots. Too bad Paul Foster has moved a majority of the Western Refining jobs to Phoenix....El Paso is more of the symbolic home of the company.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:01 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,973 times
Yeah the City Hall wasn't exactly a paragon of architectural design. The sea of asphalt, monolithic structure, energy inefficient design, it was a relic of cheap 70s design.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:12 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA2EP? View Post
the ballpark will not be an eyesore...can't get much worst than solar toaster with its giant asphalt parking lots. Too bad Paul Foster has moved a majority of the Western Refining jobs to Phoenix....El Paso is more of the symbolic home of the company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
Yeah the City Hall wasn't exactly a paragon of architectural design. The sea of asphalt, monolithic structure, energy inefficient design, it was a relic of cheap 70s design.
Just curious? Is the new ball park going to be anywhere near the downtown area pictured? Will it be built in an area that is already not very aesthetically pleasing to look at? Any pics of the current location available?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso