Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 09:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH!Lonesome View Post
it's alot like El Paso's skyline sittin there taking a siesta.
Well what's so wrong with that?

I like San Antonio but I always like getting back home too. The pace of life isn't so frantic here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 10:29 AM

639 posts, read 1,042,816 times
Thats whats wrong, I dont really care what San Antonio looks like, it does look small for a city of over 1,200,000 people El Paso dont only look small, it looks poor.

Dont take me wrong I love El Paso to the teeth, and it's tiny skyline is kinda cute but it's the matter thats it's been too tiny for way too long is what is wrong.

A few tall buildings wont raise anyones blood presure, it will just tell people that people are'nt cheap.

San Antonio looks like what San Diego use to look like in 1970.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
I'm stealing this one posted by Levow on the other thread:

Now how can you beat that for a skyline?

Old 05-10-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I'm stealing this one posted by Levow on the other thread:

Now how can you beat that for a skyline?
YES: very beautiful and in fact that very same location would look awesome if they added a few tall buildings, since thats mostly residential in the photo highrise condominiums and highrise apartments complimented with highrise garages, that way the new residents dont take up all the street parking.

The El Paso Community College Rio Grande Campus could also add to this new sunset skyline by building some new highrises on their campus there are also several vacant blocks in the sunset that could support multi story buildings, theres so much potential only someone has to step up to the plate with the money and the architectual renderings.

See right there in the lower lefthand corner right above the freeway theres a vacant open lot, once they were going to build a 25 story tall tower there called Avianca condominiums but they back down, and over there close to where the former Hotel Dieu hospital use to be, the Circle K corporation was once going to build their headquarters there, and speaking of Hotel Dieu which is now a vacant city block, that location would make an excellent lacation for a new city hall or some very tall notable tower, something you can see from as far as Van Horn Tx.

Last edited by HIGH!Lonesome; 05-10-2008 at 01:48 PM..

Old 05-10-2008, 06:21 PM

422 posts, read 1,294,348 times
Circle K almost moved their hq to El Paso, what happened?

Old 05-10-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA2EP? View Post
Circle K almost moved their hq to El Paso, what happened?
Circle K was founded in El Paso by Fred Harvey, they use to be called Kays and Fred Harvey was elected twice as mayor of El Paso but he had his heart in Phoenix and never did nothing , he was also chairman of American bank of Commerce and there was big plans for that bank, he never did nothing, just bluff bluff El Paso like most of them have done in the past.

In the early 80's Fred harvey announce his intentions to move the corporate headquarters from Phoenix back to it's founding place, El Paso, to make a long story short, Fred Harvey was all talk but no walk.

Continental Airlines was also founded in El Paso??? why are they headquarted in Denver???

Old 05-10-2008, 09:24 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,076 times
What's the point of having tall buildings for the sake of tall buildings? The construction of skyscrapers usually follows very specific types of industries-banking, finance, insurance, etc. which neither El Paso (nor San Antonio) is known for.

The city needs to focus on bringing outside business to relocate in El Paso. We're never going to be a financial/banking center. We have to play the strengths of the region.

Only then will you see pretty, tall skyscrapers being erected.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:35 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
I am not a big fan of big huge sky scrapers, I like mountain views and so forth.. its one reason we live in El Paso, and not New York. Want big sky scrapers then I suggest you move to Chicago or New York, or some place like that. El Paso is about Mountain vistas and desert sunsets, not cement and glass structures, and I am thankful for that.

I do love the old buildings we already have and love the fact we are starting to revive them.

El Paso needs many things, but Sky Scrapers are not one of them.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:41 PM

507 posts, read 1,659,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH!Lonesome View Post
Continental Airlines was also founded in El Paso??? why are they headquarted in Denver???
Robert Six bought the Airline and moved it to Denver in the 30's.

Anyways, El Paso doesnt need big fancy skyscrapers. The bulk of our economy comes out of two things that dont need skyscrapers; Fort Bliss and Call Centers. Let's face it, as soon as El Paso gets a new university that isn't another career college, No company is going to relocate here. El paso has a whole is not very educated. As soon as most citizens get the chance to, they leave to other cities. We also need to get out of the mindset that we are some small little town that no one has heard of. We are a city of over 700,000 people!!! This is no small city!

Old 05-10-2008, 09:50 PM

Default Build them and they will come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
What's the point of having tall buildings for the sake of tall buildings? The construction of skyscrapers usually follows very specific types of industries-banking, finance, insurance, etc. which neither El Paso (nor San Antonio) is known for.

The city needs to focus on bringing outside business to relocate in El Paso. We're never going to be a financial/banking center. We have to play the strengths of the region.

Only then will you see pretty, tall skyscrapers being erected.
You got this one right on the money (financial banking center) that will never happen since all El Paso banks are now out of town owned, when the banks were locally owned they had potential now money flows right out of El Paso to other prosperous cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso