Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 09:04 PM

639 posts, read 1,042,816 times

Advertisements

I was watching Cops one night and they were showing El Paso where I think some dudes chased some guy into the Concordia Cemetary and ran over him several times, one of my grandmothers use to be burried there in Concordia.

You know which cemetaries are the scariest in El Paso? I would say Concordia because of the high profile people that are burried there, the cemetary in old Smelter Town next to Asarco, man have you ever been there? google it, I recomend it.
Then there is the Old cemetary at Mt Carmel in Ysleta, I use to cross through it at night a few times as a short cut.

Ysleta is the name of the old pueblo cummunity it's called Ysleta del Sur and the Indians there are called the Tigua's, I also think that both are correct Tewa or Tiwa as pronounce differently I guess but in El Paso it's Tigua sounds like Tiwa.

I went to school with some of the Tigua Indians at Ysleta High as our mascot was the Indian and still is, as in many parts of the country the mascot representing a native American is considered racist or offensive , but that has never been the problem at Ysleta High and the native American comunity the Tiguas or any other indian tribe in the region or throughout.

These Tiguas I knew spoke Spanish, back then they all mostly lived in this neighborhood called barrio de los Indios, but then the state kicked them down some cash and they built themselfs a nice modern pueblo community off Socorro Rd, as for the ancient tougueI think only the very old survivors still might speak it or so, but new generations I'm not sure, probably to modern to care about ancestral language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 09:46 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
So how do you pronounce Ysleta?

Old 01-30-2008, 10:34 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
So how do you pronounce Ysleta?
ISSSSS like Hiss without the H. then Let AHH

ISSS LET AHH

Old 01-30-2008, 11:19 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
Thank you so much, Muhnay!

Old 01-31-2008, 04:58 AM

639 posts, read 1,042,816 times
Ysleta, it's easy,it's pronouced with three sylables just like it sounds, (Is - le - ta) is hard to pronouce or even guess how to pronounce it for those that are not familiar with the word or lived in the area called Ysleta because it's not your common name or word.

Last edited by HIGH!Lonesome; 01-31-2008 at 05:09 AM..

Old 02-11-2008, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 19,546 times
does anybody know any ghost stories or things that have happened at irvin high school?

Old 02-15-2008, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 19,573 times
Default Anyone with info on Patterson House?

I was hoping someone knows anything about the Patterson House. I and about five others are starting a paranormal research group in El Paso. I heard about this house from my sister but she knew very little. All she told me that she heard of this house that was abandoned and supposedly haunted. If you had any additional information that would be great. I have no idea where it is and as to whom I can contact about conducting an investigation. I appreciate your response. Thank you

Jerry

Old 02-22-2008, 09:34 AM

18 posts, read 75,135 times
Default Patterson Family

I tried doing a search on the subject this morning but came up with nothing. There has to be information out there on the Patterson family. When I was very young I remember driving in the neighborhood, I believe close to Rim Road, and my mother pointing out a house that she described as "The Patterson House". She mentioned that a family had lived there that disappeared suddenly and that all subsequent occupants had placed the house back on the market soon after purchasing it. It has been many years and the details of the story are sketchy, but as I recall I think I remember that they were preparing for a trip and the luggage was found packed and ready close to the front door, a smoke was found in the ashtray that had not been moved but was ashed from tip to filter, and possibly that a pet had been found that died of starvation. The whole family reportedly simply disappeared without a trace whatsoever. There was something about this case that intrigued me as a kid and I always wanted to learn more about it "when I grew up". I'm all fully grown now, and would certainly like to learn more about the missing Patterson family.

Not too far from the Patterson house there was anotrher supposed "haunted house". As I recall it was a house the east side of the street at the foot of a hill or mountain. I recall that my mother mentioned that they had no lights and when she was in high school they used to park on the street to watch the candlelight move from window to window as the occupant went from room to room constantly. It is a weird memory but I think she mentioned that this lady thought she was Cleopatra and that she had a brother that lived on a guest house on the property and that he thought he was Mark Anthony. My mom said that her brother once climbed the perimeter fence on a dare to ring the doorbell. My uncle confirmed that he did in fact climb the fence but ran off after he was shot in the ass with rock salt.

In the same neighborhood, there was also a place that was called "gravity point" if I remember correctly (all this was from when I was very young). At gravity point, one could put the car in neutral while facing downhill but the car would roll backwards in reverse UP the hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonbud View Post
I was hoping someone knows anything about the Patterson House. I and about five others are starting a paranormal research group in El Paso. I heard about this house from my sister but she knew very little. All she told me that she heard of this house that was abandoned and supposedly haunted. If you had any additional information that would be great. I have no idea where it is and as to whom I can contact about conducting an investigation. I appreciate your response. Thank you

Jerry

Old 02-23-2008, 10:42 PM

72 posts, read 596,408 times
Default Sorry for delay in response

Hello everyone, I will try to respond to everyone's questions. First of all no we do not charge at all. We are a non-profit organization commited to investigating any and all possible situations. PITT is composed of your everyday people who have a desiret to answer some of their own questions. Some people have foudn the answers they seek, and others continue to search. We are respectful of others views and open minded about the paranormal. We have not investigated any situation where we could confirm a haunting. Logical explanations are always a possibility, and even though we have come across very unusual events and happenings, I would not necessarily call it a haunting. Others within the group may feel differently, as for me, I have yet to see a "ghost" or anything of the like, but don't rule out hte possibility.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:17 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
Well then TXrattler, I can say I have seen ghost. You need to talk to the Military Police on Fort Bliss with your group sometime. Have them take you to old Beaumont, and have them show you the light that has no bulb, and if your lucky you'll get to meet the little boy swinger on the play set too.

Then take the main drag off the main gate make your first right, you'll see a officers row, the huge houses there. There is one that has 2 flags out side, the American Flag always waves at night, even on dead calm nights, with no wind. While the flag right next to it hangs there limp and unmoving.

There are many other hauntings... I have personally experienced on Fort Bliss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso