Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 05:00 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,218,834 times

Advertisements

I remember going to the drive in with my family back in the days, there was nothing better than watching a scary movie in the middle of the winter surrounded by nothing but the el paso wilderness.$5.00 A carload, you could take snacks, beer, a blanket or 2 to "cuddle"with your loved 1, i really miss the drive inns at el paso.In the summertime, was even better, you could put the ole pickup in reverse, open up the back, get some blankets & watch the kids play in the swings, while you would watch a movie on the massive screen.I picture a brand new state of the ary drive in, with curved screens, hd picture & sound quality, maybe a little food court inside, and the brand new playgrounds with the tents that they have at alot of elemetarys.Does anybody know why thet closed them down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 05:28 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
The Drive in on Montana.. ahh yeah them were the days. I agree, but it will never happen. But what we could do is take a lesson from some of our other cities, like Portland, Houston, and have movies in the park. They are often free and put on by parks and rec. and people will cook out and come and gather and watch free movies in the park. We have the weather for such events and they would help endorse our parks and bring a sense of community back to El Paso.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:51 PM

The Drive in on Montana.. ahh yeah them were the days. I agree, but it will never happen.

why do u think it will never happen, and ive heard of events like that in el paso, movies in the park, i cant recall any locations or anything, but you know an ideal place for movies at the park would be chamizal, where they do the concerts for music under the stars.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:59 PM

I would not attend one there.. I would do one in veterans park though. =) I think there should be one of these events per side of town.

Did you ever do a block party, where they closed the street and everyone in the neighborhood brings out their tables and food and everyone shares and talks and mingles with each other. As a kid we had a few of those.. it was so cool. Made the community stronger. We need to bring those back.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I would not attend one there.. I would do one in veterans park though. =) I think there should be one of these events per side of town.

Did you ever do a block party, where they closed the street and everyone in the neighborhood brings out their tables and food and everyone shares and talks and mingles with each other. As a kid we had a few of those.. it was so cool. Made the community stronger. We need to bring those back.
No muhnay, never did, it sounds fun though, we used to play hide & go seek & jumprope as kids with everybody, including the moms, it was alot of fun back then, i never wanted to be indoors, kids nowadays just want to be inside all day on the computer or playing video games.Anyways mr muhnay, back to the drive in, why dont you think it would work again?

Old 12-06-2007, 06:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
You guys are living in the past too much.

Now you can just download a movie if you want to see one -- it's much more convenient.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:07 PM

One who forgets his past is doomed to relive it.

I was about to explain that the new trend is Home Theaters.. why deal with rude people, high prices, and gouging on drink and food prices, when you can do it for much less and have a better time at home. Heck you can even pause the film and answer the phone or make a bathroom break and not miss a thing. That is why Drive Ins wont make a come back, and why Theaters are closing down all over. The technology is getting cheaper all the time, making it easier for just about anyone to have a home theater.

People are becoming more private, and not gathering like they used too. Maybe because there are more people, or because of how the times have changed. We are the last generation to have grown with Drive ins.. its kinda sad. They were fun.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:46 PM

879 posts, read 3,037,425 times
Hey guys, we still got the Fiesta Drive-In on Montana.

Drive-In Theaters (http://www.epcc.edu/nwlibrary/borderlands/14_drive_in_theaters.htm - broken link)

Old 12-06-2007, 09:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
One who forgets his past is doomed to relive it.

I was about to explain that the new trend is Home Theaters.. why deal with rude people, high prices, and gouging on drink and food prices, when you can do it for much less and have a better time at home. Heck you can even pause the film and answer the phone or make a bathroom break and not miss a thing. That is why Drive Ins wont make a come back, and why Theaters are closing down all over. The technology is getting cheaper all the time, making it easier for just about anyone to have a home theater.

People are becoming more private, and not gathering like they used too. Maybe because there are more people, or because of how the times have changed. We are the last generation to have grown with Drive ins.. its kinda sad. They were fun.
Well it's good nostagia -- but no generation has ever thought "gee, what did people in grampa's day do for fun" and then try to bring it back.

Before drive-ins, what did people do for fun? Maybe they sat on porches and watched neighbors, but no one's going to do that either.

I'm sort of kidding -- maybe it's like the Sonics -- you see them here but not too much in other cities. If drive-ins could make a comeback, it would be here since our weather is so perfect.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:39 PM

Ahh we have a failure to communicate here. He is talking about Drive in Theaters, not Drive In food places..

Sure every Generation pines for what it lost, but also looks forward to what it gains. My family still sits on the porch and talks about daily events and plans for the week. Before TV there was Radio, before computers there was imagination.

Yeah we do have the Fiesta don't we.. have not been out that way in a long time.. you sure its still there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso