Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 11:43 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,477,780 times

Advertisements

God, one thing I don't miss about El Paso - the abysmal grocery selection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 10:03 AM

1,011 posts, read 2,813,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bron_Brodir View Post
Growth is Growth, no matter where it comes from, so yes I celebrate it. Besides the areas where these are being built already have traffic, or need the draw Wal Mart brings to new area markets. N.E. El Paso has not had a Sam's club and residents have had to travel to the East or West side to shop at one, so having one on that side of town should help reduce traffic in those areas some. The building of a new Neighborhood Market in Far N.E. El Paso as part of a strip mall, will help lower traffic to the Wal Mart on Woodrow Bean Transmountain Road, and provide an anchor store to draw shoppers to other stores in that mall. It will also provide much needed jobs in the area for local teens and unemployed workers. Now I know you'll argue that the pay is not much, but something is always better than nothing. I was raised that you flip burgers even if your skill set is higher or education better if it is all you can get until something better comes along. You do what you have too to survive and take care of your family and maintain your bills.

I am all for more green space, keeping our historic places, and for better quality housing. Traffic and congestion will be an issue no matter what we do, its part of growing the city. I wish we could get better employers here, better pay, and more options, but being a border city its seems that may never happen.
One can try instead of just lying down and griping. And a lot of people, including in El Paso, can do better than working at WalMart.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:13 PM

643 posts, read 1,305,848 times
I recently went through the hiring process to employ 4 new people for my facility. We are in the coating industry specializing in aerospace and oil field. It was a tedious process of weeding out the bad ones to calling references and checking their social media info. I finally narrowed it down to 2 candidates. I don't pay minimum wage and we are growing and expanding due to recent contracts we have acquired. We work 40/hrs. a week with weekends off. Only one showed up! The other one called me and said he had received a job offer from Walmart and decided to take it. So, moral of the story is that people are happy working at Walmart. The irony is that the other employee I hired came from Walmart. What are you gonna do?

Old 04-12-2014, 11:33 AM

575 posts, read 877,113 times
wow, that's pretty frustrating.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:41 PM

3,394 posts, read 6,036,878 times
I need to come work for you. LOL.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:41 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,387,387 times
The new Walmart Neighborhood Market on Doniphan is almost finished. I can't see it do anything but bring up property values on that dumpy street.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:53 PM

575 posts, read 877,113 times
There's a lot of good real estate there and a great commercial corridor. I keep waiting for things to be upgraded--who knows, maybe the Walmart there will spur some attractive development.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:15 AM

3,394 posts, read 6,036,878 times
Woohoo! I'll be home in about 9 weeks or so. Can't wait to come back and see the changes since I left in October. I hope the the new neighborhood market on Doniphan takes some of the traffic off of the Resler/Redd location. The only time I shop there is at 6:30am on the weekends because it's so crowded there during the week and after 9am on the weekends.

Did 375 east of 54 open up yet?

Old 04-13-2014, 12:17 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,813,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCCW View Post
I recently went through the hiring process to employ 4 new people for my facility. We are in the coating industry specializing in aerospace and oil field. It was a tedious process of weeding out the bad ones to calling references and checking their social media info. I finally narrowed it down to 2 candidates. I don't pay minimum wage and we are growing and expanding due to recent contracts we have acquired. We work 40/hrs. a week with weekends off. Only one showed up! The other one called me and said he had received a job offer from Walmart and decided to take it. So, moral of the story is that people are happy working at Walmart. The irony is that the other employee I hired came from Walmart. What are you gonna do?
You could only get two from the El Paso area and one wanted to work for WalMart instead.

I have to say that "If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten" applies to a lot of people.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:28 AM

643 posts, read 1,305,848 times
I went through a list of people. Most were from Texas Workforce. Some just didn't interview well and some didn't have the background work I was looking for. I don't mind going through 100 interviews to find a few employees. Once I move to my new facility I'll be going through the whole ordeal again since I need to hire 2 more employees.

Another issue is that some people don't want to work. They are happy getting unemployment and going to a vocational school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso