Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 09:22 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,098,669 times

Advertisements

I've mentioned before in this forum that Trish Long, who maintains the archives for the El Paso Times, periodically publishes reprints from old news stories related to local topics. You can access the current and past articles here:

http://elpasotimes.typepad.com/morgue/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 12:11 PM

135 posts, read 239,644 times
I will have to buy that book you p[ctured. I am good friends with the Metz Family, his brother lives in North East as well, and we often talk.

Here is a obituary for the man who wrote that book, some great info on him and El Paso. I think you'll be surprised that He and Metz worked together.

Frank John Mangan Jr. Obituary: View Frank Mangan's Obituary by El Paso Times

Old 06-28-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bron_Brodir View Post
I think you'll be surprised that He and Metz worked together.
It shouldn't surprise anyone that two people with mutual interest in the history of El Paso would share their knowledge. Frank Mangan was a very approachable person and I exchanged several letters with him in the days before internet emails were the norm. He and I had a common interest in the village of Ruidoso's history too, since both of our grandfathers were pioneer cabin owners there.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:33 PM

10 posts, read 13,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuco View Post
Here's my opinion: Let the wrecking ball knock em all down! None of them look like buildings that are worth saving. The preservationists are really getting in the way of revitalizing our downtown and are trying to protect every single building there. These buildings are nasty and were part of what made downtown El Paso look really bad and cheap for many years. Not every old building is worth saving and just by looking at these eyesores, these should come down in hopes of something nice going up in its place.

Life is finally returning to downtown (Link), several revitalization projects are now going on in downtown. New businesses are starting to spring up and interest in downtown buildings is starting to soar, so why should we stop all this new progress for some old buildings that aren't even worth saving? We shouldn't.

Demolition of 5 buildings begins in Downtown El Paso | KTSM News Channel 9 | News, Weather and Sports | El Paso, Las Cruces, Juarez
Couldn't be said any better! If we want to revitalize downtown and bring businesses down here, we should start by tearing down all the old buildings that don't serve any purpose!!

Old 07-09-2014, 09:48 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,477,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarmo View Post
Couldn't be said any better! If we want to revitalize downtown and bring businesses down here, we should start by tearing down all the old buildings that don't serve any purpose!!
River Oaks are purveyors of cheap, ugly strip malls around El Paso. It's all they've ever done for decades. You really expect them to build an interesting, New Urban development with that property? Based on their past history they'll either sit on it for several years, or build a detached building to entice a chain retail store to move in.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:51 AM

29 posts, read 27,744 times
People need to get over this. If there was no progress, we would still be walking on wood sidewalks and driving over horse**** piles on dirt roads. If you like art deco, put some on the new buildings. Or better yet, make some FREE parking there.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:23 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,482,847 times
What's the latest with the Gateway Hotel?

Old 07-19-2014, 07:22 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,813,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 WEELIN GEEZER View Post
People need to get over this. If there was no progress, we would still be walking on wood sidewalks and driving over horse**** piles on dirt roads. If you like art deco, put some on the new buildings. Or better yet, make some FREE parking there.

It's still good to preserve what historic buildings we've got if we can. Even if nothing of note happened in them, they give a place character.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:27 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,813,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
What's the latest with the Gateway Hotel?
Last I heard, it's still closed.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrabilius View Post
It's still good to preserve what historic buildings we've got if we can. Even if nothing of note happened in them, they give a place character.
I suspect you'd just love sightseeing in Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso