Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 10:24 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet West View Post
I think it's always a good idea to get the lay of the land, so to speak, before making a home purchase. Congrats on making a decision.
That was my logic behind waiting for a house. I wanted to live here for a bit, get to know the traffic, schools, generalities about neighborhoods, etc. before settling in a house. With an apartment, if you don't like where you live, you have to stick it out for 6 months or lose minimal money by moving out early. With a house, you're losing a lot of money.

I lived here for 6 months, left for 9 months then came back. We might rent a house next year, not sure yet as I really do not want all the work that goes along with a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 02:00 PM

643 posts, read 1,312,769 times
Army_Guy, the good thing about El Paso is that there are plenty of people that can help you with your house. It doesn't have to be a burden. If you need landscaping, yard maintenance, etc.. it's pretty easy on the wallet and you don't have to waste a whole afternoon doing it yourself.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:27 PM

575 posts, read 883,769 times
assuming you find Men With Shovels who actually show up when promised.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:45 AM

643 posts, read 1,312,769 times
VioletWest, did you ever get that sorted out?

Old 10-21-2014, 06:21 PM

575 posts, read 883,769 times
for a time I had a regular guy . . . enough to get some work in my backyard done . . . but of course now he's disappeared. pathetic.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,047 times
Default Looking for Russians friends

My husband and I are moving to El Paso from east coast and would like to meet some new people. We are in our 50th , our kids are already on their own. We appreciate any cultural advice, places to visit and general information about life in El Paso. We are originally from Russia and of course will be nice to find some russian speaking people to communicate. Any reply will be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:32 AM

7 posts, read 6,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Yes and traffic on that side is horrible during certain hours of the day due to Soldiers commuting to/from Ft. Bliss.

I would recommend Puerta Villa. It's a very nice complex, nice pool, small gym (but enough to do what you want) and the walking trail along Resler is very nice. The community is gated, there are grills spread out throughout the complex and about 3-4 grills in the pool area. Pool area also has wifi for you. It is quiet there. Quarter fed laundry is at the rental office, 24 hour access for laundry.

For 2 bedroom rent with water is about $960 for me and my wife. Electricity is $55, we keep it around 73-74 during the warm months. Never been here in the winter time so I couldn't tell you how much heat would cost. Cable/internet choices are Time Warner or AT&T. I've used both, they're both about the same. Currently have AT&T as it gave me more channels for the money with the special they were running at the time.

If you e-mail Puerta Villa, they can send you a current price list. There are overhead parking spots and garages available though the wait on the garages is quite long, over 6 months last time I checked. But there is a very nice self storage facility I've used a few times down Resler near the Wal Mart Neighborhood Market. It's called Franklin Self Storage.

You're about 2 miles from the Wal Mart Neighborhood Market, 10 minutes from Sunland Park Mall/Best Buy/Target and 5 from the Outlet Mall. You have easy access to both I-10 and 375. I-10 is about 3 minutes away and 375 is 5 minutes up Resler. There is a Chevron across the street. In the same plaza is a Dollar General, quick lube oil change place, martial arts school, liquor store (nice kind, not the seedy kind), pizza place, Chinese place, Subway, dry cleaner, realtor, ice cream shop and dog grooming place. Behind the plaza is the Greater El Paso Credit Union.

There is plenty of shopping within a 10 minute drive for your typical retail stores and food places. 2 things not close are CVS (there is Walgreens close, though) and JC Penney's (it's on the east side) but other than those 2 that come to mind right now, I can't think of much that's not over here.

West side seems to be quieter. Plenty of bike lanes if you're into biking. Franklin HS is about 2 miles away (across from Wal Mart) and a lot of people use their tennis courts, basketball courts and track.
my husband have order to move in ft bliss and we are looking for a nice place. sinc you said about biking any suggestions in apartments on the west side? and how long it will take my husband to drive everyday to work?

Old 11-15-2014, 06:30 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Perkins View Post
my husband have order to move in ft bliss and we are looking for a nice place. sinc you said about biking any suggestions in apartments on the west side? and how long it will take my husband to drive everyday to work?
A popular apartment on the west side is Puerta Villa.

As for how long it will take your husband to get to work, that depends on where he works on Bliss. It is a very large base, 10+ miles from one end to the other. I know because I rode it on my bike.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:07 PM

156 posts, read 181,980 times
Side note :

Any thoughts on ATT Uverse versus Time Warner cable?

Which is more reliable in terms of consistent service and speed?

Old 11-17-2014, 12:16 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmbebo View Post
Side note :

Any thoughts on ATT Uverse versus Time Warner cable?

Which is more reliable in terms of consistent service and speed?
I'm quite happy with Time Warner but it does go down a couple of times per year leaving me without phone, internet, and cable. This evening it was down for 4 hours making me miss Masterpiece Theater.
The speeds are very good for gaming and streaming and I've never had a long wait for phone support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: