Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 03:43 PM

5 posts, read 6,466 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husband has accepted a faculty position at UTEP, so our family will be moving to EP in mid-December. We visited in June, so I do have some idea of what we're getting ourselves into. However, we won't be able to visit again before our move, and we need to find a place to live. We will be renting initially, but hope to buy a home once we've been in the area for a year or two. Can anyone suggest a trusted realtor or property manager who might be able to help us find a place? We would consider single-family homes (we have a daughter and are due with our second child next month) and condos/townhouses that are family-friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 04:05 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
I know of 2 property management companies that specialize in singe family homes:

Benchmark Realty (we had a good experience renting from them)
& Rental Network Property Management

Most of the homes with For Rent signs in my neighborhood are also on Craigslist:
el paso apts/housing for rent - craigslist

Old 09-18-2014, 05:11 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
I recommend looking first at the Kern Place area. They are charming older homes, but in a neighborhood where people take pride in maintaining them and Kern Place can be within walking distance of the campus. It's a very safe neighborhood for raising children and Mesita Elementary has recently been rebuilt and has always been one of the better schools in town.

KERN PLACE RENTALS

Old 09-19-2014, 09:36 AM

Katzpaw and Joqua, thank you for the advice and links! I'd heard of El Paso Rental Network, but not Benchmark, so that's extremely helpful. Kern Place was our favorite neighborhood when we visited (and close to UTEP), so we'll definitely be looking in that area. It didn't seem like there were many places for rent, but perhaps we just didn't know where to look.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:08 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
The neighborhoods near El Paso High and Sunset Hieghts -with all the older buildings seem to have more character and are less expensive than Kern. Still just about as close to UTEP

Old 10-06-2014, 01:27 PM

Thanks ocean2026. Would you say those neighborhoods are a good place for kids? I've been looking at Kern rentals, and since we'll be saving up to buy a house, the rents are a little higher than what we were hoping to pay (we're looking in the $1200/mo range).

Old 10-06-2014, 02:15 PM

643 posts, read 1,312,769 times
If that's the case rent an apartment in the school district zone you want your kids in. Don't try to go over your budget and you should be moved into your house sooner rather than later.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:51 PM

My daughter is 2.5 and my son is due in three weeks, so schools aren't a major concern yet. Obviously, when we buy a place, that will be a major consideration. We would like to rent a single-family home as opposed to an apartment. I think we'll be able to find something in our price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: