Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2011, 03:52 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,455 times

Advertisements

Throughout the 60's and beyond, Northgate Shopping Center was such a huge presence that much of the surrounding area was also referred to as "Northgate." There was a Northgate National Bank, the Northgate Apartments, and countless small businesses like the Northgate Barber Shop that weren't in the actual shopping center. Most are gone or their names were changed long ago.

Many of the original chain-store tenants at Northgate have passed on as well: Gunning-Casteel, Aaronson Brothers, American Furniture Stores, Singer Sewing Centers, Whites Auto Center, and Thom McAn Shoes. The Popular was added later but never did very well at that location. A few, like J.C. Penny and Safeway, are still in business.

KVIA videotaped a final walk-through recently. Demolition was long overdue, but still sad when you think of what it used to be and what it meant to the often-neglected residents of Northeast El Paso when it first opened with much fanfare many years ago.

Demolition Of Northpark Mall In Northeast El Paso Begins - News Story - KVIA El Paso
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 06:32 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Northgate Shopping Center

I recall the mall as Northgate Shopping Center as it was called when I left in the 80's. Going back further, all I rembember was seeing that cool looking neon light they had, I think it was blue with a star on top. ? It was a long time ago, but for sure there blue lights rising to a pinacle. 'Never stood ground there. Of course, I think it was too far for many, perhaps that was one of the first proverbial nails in the coffin.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:33 AM

507 posts, read 1,659,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I recall the mall as Northgate Shopping Center as it was called when I left in the 80's. Going back further, all I rembember was seeing that cool looking neon light they had, I think it was blue with a star on top. ? It was a long time ago, but for sure there blue lights rising to a pinacle. 'Never stood ground there. Of course, I think it was too far for many, perhaps that was one of the first proverbial nails in the coffin.
that neon light you are thinking about was actually at the Sunrise Shopping Center by the freeway. It was a giant blue skinny pyramid thing. I remember it until they tore is down sometime in the late 90s

Old 09-27-2011, 12:50 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Hmmm...

I think you are right, Sunrise Shopping Center sounds familiar too. I remember driving along the Dyer/Railroad area and it was not too far from there. In either case, I never went to either of them, but I never worked when I lived in El Paso, so did not have money to buy anything, that could be why.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,974 times
Default Bye Bye Northgate

Actually, I think he was partially right. As I remember, Sunrise had the
blue lighted object in the front and Northgate had one that was green.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:36 PM

180 posts, read 457,240 times
There was a Joann's Craft Store there also in the mid 90's. It' so sad to see that go.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:59 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,832,173 times
I noticed the El Paso Museum of Natural History seems to have sort of quietly up and died. It wasn't in Northgate anymore when the demolition began, anyway.

Old 02-03-2021, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,432 times
KIRBY --------- I grew up on Marie Tobin Drive. Sunrise shopping center had the blue obelisk and is where Peckinpah shot the drive-in restaurant scene (with waitresses on skates) at Oasis restaurant for his masterpiece Texas film, THE GETAWAY circa 1971. Northgate had more stores and futuristic light towers in the parking lot and an unusual open air set-up in the actual mall. Drainage ditches and El Paso natural gas properties surrounded the mall area. Was there a flood that made the mall an inhospitable area? I was no longer there and have not heard about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: