Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 05:50 PM

58 posts, read 93,852 times

Advertisements

We are a military family and while we live on post, we like to go into the city as much as possible. We have both lived mostly in the southeast, with family in the northeast. El Paso definitely feels more Mexico/New Mexico than Texas (thinking Dallas/Austin, etc). We have found so many good restaurants in the area and tend to mainly stay to where there are more local options rather than the northwest or far east. UTEP has a lot of fun activities and programs.

There is a great running store Up and Running and they host a lot of local running meet ups and organize local races.

Long story short, if you want somewhere that replicates where you currently are, you will be disappointed. If you are OK with experiencing something different, you will be fine. We have friends here who have come from all over the country/world and only 2 of my friends really don't like it here. One was in Hawaii and one in San Diego...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 06:31 PM

111 posts, read 177,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kparker313 View Post
We are a military family and while we live on post, we like to go into the city as much as possible. We have both lived mostly in the southeast, with family in the northeast. El Paso definitely feels more Mexico/New Mexico than Texas (thinking Dallas/Austin, etc). We have found so many good restaurants in the area and tend to mainly stay to where there are more local options rather than the northwest or far east. UTEP has a lot of fun activities and programs.

There is a great running store Up and Running and they host a lot of local running meet ups and organize local races.

Long story short, if you want somewhere that replicates where you currently are, you will be disappointed. If you are OK with experiencing something different, you will be fine. We have friends here who have come from all over the country/world and only 2 of my friends really don't like it here. One was in Hawaii and one in San Diego...
Perfectly said :-)

Old 11-02-2014, 07:42 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
No need to feel uncomfortable about people carrying guns, unlike NJ, the guns aren't restricted to just the bad guys here. I haven't seen anyone carrying a gun and I doubt I would as concealed means concealed. We're a law abiding bunch, we went through training, background check, fingerprints and paid our fees to the state. Don't fear us, fear the criminals who carry, they're in every state.

I think the biggest change you'll experience is the weather. It's very dry here. I was gone last winter, had a vacation in the middle east, but from what I've learned, I believe you will be able to run outside year round here. There are plenty of sidewalks to run on and plenty of biking trails if that interests you. Outdoor activities here are plentiful, I enjoy biking and running. Tennis seems to be big here as well. I believe we get over 300 days of sunshine a year.

Getting back to the weather, it gets really hot here, not uncommon to see consistent 105 temps over the summer. But it's a dry heat so it's very manageable, IMO. I've lived in the deep south and I'll take a dry 105 over a humid 85 every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

There is no state income tax in Texas. Gas is currently around $2.75/gallon.

Shopping might leave a little to be desired but if it's not your thing then there's nothing to worry about.

As for the dating scene, can't help you there. I would tread cautiously with the military guys. Honestly, the majority of the guys I know, I would not introduce them to female friends.

El Paso international is an airport with easy access. Most likely you'll end up flying to Dallas and transferring out of there.

Phoenix is a 7 hour drive, Dallas is 9, SATX is about 8, Albuquerque is about 5.

As for living, only place I've lived is the west side. Seems to be quieter out on this side of town, a little higher cost for housing but worth it, IMO. Your commute time will depend on where you work.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:11 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,136,259 times
If you haven't already, sign up with active.com. There are mud runs, marathons, bicycle rides, every week here. Also, follow Annie's Adventures on Facebook for fun things to do and events. And of course, attend as many UTEP events as possible.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:20 AM

238 posts, read 420,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Viola View Post
Hello Everyone,

I’m a Jersey girl considering moving to El Paso. I got offered a healthcare job in the area with a nice sign on bonus. This move could potentially help me reach some personal career goals sooner than if I stayed on the east coast. I’m 28, single and there really are no issues preventing me from relocating. Also with the cost of living being cheaper, I could pay off my student loans faster which would be a huge perk. The problem is I’m having a difficult time wrapping my head around the idea of moving to Texas. I went to college and graduate school in the northeast, and spent my whole life in this region. I’ve never even been to Texas.

I consider myself a very typical north-east type person. I power-walk everywhere, I’m very type A, I talk pretty fast and am constantly chipping away at to-do lists. I also am not religious, I eat a mostly vegan diet, am fairly liberal politically and I can’t remember ever seeing anyone carry a gun (they make me pretty uncomfortable to be honest). With that being said, I’m not preachy with my lifestyle/beliefs and I can blend into most crowds. I don’t go out of my way to mention my opinions/beliefs in conversation.

I like to run and was happy to see that there are a decent number of local 5k type races in the area. I was wondering if this is a city where I would feel safe jogging around the neighborhood. Also if there are any nice parks or running trails? I would probably live in some sort of gated complex (at least to start). Is the area relatively safe for a young woman to live alone? Also I would be moving out there entirely by myself and wonder if I would struggle with making friends/fitting in. Is the culture shift from New Jersey to Texas overstated or would this mostly be a non-issue? Any thoughts/opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Just by reading the bolded paragraph, you should expect a dramatic shift from your current paradigm.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:21 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,508,411 times
At least you'll get out of New Jersey.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:07 AM

643 posts, read 1,313,175 times
Quote:
I appreciate the replies everyone. I think that I can handle a safe suburban type city. Most weekdays I just go to work then come home and run. I could do that anywhere. I could probably manage to find a few friends to hang out with on the weekends. Perhaps I’ll end up watching a little more Netflix than usual. If I stay there for 2-3 years I could easily knock out my student loans, pay off my car, max out my Roth IRA each year and put together some savings. At that point I would be 30-31, which is enough time to relocate again, potentially meet someone and have children. This move could set me up nicely financially for the rest of my life. I constantly feel stressed about my student loans and really just want them paid off. I’m tired of feeling panicked at night.

The slow pace of life would probably annoy me but I imagine that I could deal with it. Dating may be an issue but there must be lots of men around with the military base. At least enough to make it through 2-3 years. Who knows, I may end up finding someone. There doesn’t need to be 100s of educated compatible men, just one that I like. If I don’t find someone by 2-3 years from now at 30-31, I would still have enough time to relocate and settle down. I don’t know. I still have some time to decide but I’m leaning towards yes. I want to be able to take a vacation before I’m 40.
I think you need to make this sacrifice regardless of what you read here.

You never know, you might find someone here and move together. It sounds like you will fit into Texas just fine. Make sure you make some time to visit Austin. That might be your next option. Good luck and keep us posted. That's only if you find the time!

Old 11-12-2014, 02:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,789 times
Given the information that you provided regarding your career goals and the fact that you are a medical professional considering the move AND you'll be getting a raise I would suggest that you live in West El Paso I don't recommend any other parts of town. West El Paso is also the area where you'll be more likely to find El Pasoans like you.
In fact I wouldn't even consider living in any other parts of town unless work is way too far of a commute for you. Why?
This is where you'll find most of El Paso's diversity and you'll feel like less of an outsider. More wealthy whites live in West El Paso, and it's also where most of the city's Jewish (we have three synagogues) and Muslim residents live. I would also recommend areas near UTEP (they count as West to me) so you can be near Cincinnati Ave. and have quick access to nightlife fun, although you could also use Uber.
I lived in San Antonio for the past six years but am from the Borderplex and moved back a month ago. I'm also a single educated female in my 20s.
Shopping is alright depending on what you like. You don't mention where in NJ you're from, so I don't know what kind of shopping you're used to. You should be ok with the clothing store options even if you shop high-end because we have luxury boutiques on the Westside and a larger high-end store in East EP named Union Fashion. Unlike the other major cities in TX, we don't have Saks or a Neiman Marcus but we do have a Nordstrom Rack along with two Macy's and Dillard's.
Re: men...
It seems to have gotten better around here with better prospects and I disagree with other posters that say military guys are the only guys you'd have to go for.
Sorry if my info was too specific and is not useful to you but since I fit your demographic I included information that would've been useful for me and I've been moving cities.

Old 11-03-2016, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 845 times
I wish I had signed up with this before I moved to El Paso. If you are not Military or mexican ( for me) it'd hard to find a job. Being from NJ I love the fact of 100 degrees nnot feeling like nj 100. However Transportation sucks to no end. A 15 minute ride takes an hour on the bus.. Dallas and other big cities are over 6hrs away. Building a cross town train will be the best thing for El Paso since sliced bread. Providing they have more than one an hour. While it's is a cheap and quaint it is a culture shock for a metropolitan girl. I think it's great for retired ppl but....not for ppl who are on the go, love things to do and love the night life. Maybe I'll come back when I am 90.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:20 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

I’m a Jersey girl considering moving to El Paso. I got offered a healthcare job in the area with a nice sign on bonus. This move could potentially help me reach some personal career goals sooner than if I stayed on the east coast. I’m 28, single and there really are no issues preventing me from relocating. Also with the cost of living being cheaper, I could pay off my student loans faster which would be a huge perk. The problem is I’m having a difficult time wrapping my head around the idea of moving to Texas. I went to college and graduate school in the northeast, and spent my whole life in this region. I’ve never even been to Texas.

I consider myself a very typical north-east type person. I power-walk everywhere, I’m very type A, I talk pretty fast and am constantly chipping away at to-do lists. I also am not religious, I eat a mostly vegan diet, am fairly liberal politically and I can’t remember ever seeing anyone carry a gun (they make me pretty uncomfortable to be honest). With that being said, I’m not preachy with my lifestyle/beliefs and I can blend into most crowds. I don’t go out of my way to mention my opinions/beliefs in conversation.

I like to run and was happy to see that there are a decent number of local 5k type races in the area. I was wondering if this is a city where I would feel safe jogging around the neighborhood. Also if there are any nice parks or running trails? I would probably live in some sort of gated complex (at least to start). Is the area relatively safe for a young woman to live alone? Also I would be moving out there entirely by myself and wonder if I would struggle with making friends/fitting in. Is the culture shift from New Jersey to Texas overstated or would this mostly be a non-issue? Any thoughts/opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I moved from MA to San Antonio. It sounds like Austin or even San Antonio would be a better fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso