Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 06:04 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan View Post
Sorry, but, you do realize that in the real world not everyone has the luxury of living in a place that they love, right? That some of us, due to our personal situations, are living in places we aren't exactly crazy about?
Sorry, I don't mean to sound condescending, however, this excuse that your life is beyond your control and that's why you are somewhere where you don't want to be is mostly describing a personal problem, not a city . However, it is also tainting your credibility when it comes to describing where you live. We can easily infer that you are just unhappy with your life and that transfers onto your description of where you live?

I was the OP and I was just expressing my admiration for a nice place the city is. Obviously we are not children here (I hope) and I do understand every city has its problems but in general, esp. if you are an outdoorsy person El Paso looks like heaven to me - mountains, open spaces, 2-3 hours to Gila National Forest in NM, 2 hours to Lincoln Natl Forest in NM, 1-2 hrs to Guadalupe Mtns, 3-4 hours to Big Bend, plenty of sunshine, border with Mexico, low cost of living, clean streets (or at least that's what greeted me), no significant traffic jams, low crime, so on and so on. My only problem is finding affordable acreage for our two horses and we are there asap. Sorry, life is difficult as it is, at least I can get out to the Franklins, take an hour walk and be in absolute silence in the middle of nothing. How many cities offer you that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 04:21 PM

58 posts, read 93,803 times
Plus, it's 80 and sunny today. In February. Atypical I know, but SO NICE.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:52 PM

340 posts, read 608,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy;is 8342213
Sorry, I don't mean to sound condescending, however, this excuse that your life is beyond your control and that's why you are somewhere where you don't want to be is mostly describing a personal problem, not a city . However, it is also tainting your credibility when it comes to describing where you live. We can easily infer that you are just unhappy with your life and that transfers onto your description of where you live?
Actually, yes, clearly you are trying to sound condescending. You don't know me or why I am currently living here, and I never said that my life was "beyond my control". Give me a break. I said that I didn't think El Paso was that pretty or that nice, and that I don’t love it here. Sorry that is so offensive to you.

Quote:
I was the OP and I was just expressing my admiration for a nice place the city is.
That's nice. That is your opinion. Some people have different opinions, tastes, perspectives, likes and dislikes, and everyone is entitled to their opinion - even when it differs from yours. And to suggest that there is something wrong with someone because they have a different view of a place that you have visited one time is not only rude and ridiculous, it is extremely childish.

Have a nice day.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:30 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,414 times
Quote:
Actually, yes, clearly you are trying to sound condescending. You don't know me or why I am currently living here, and I never said that my life was "beyond my control". Give me a break. I said that I didn't think El Paso was that pretty or that nice, and that I don’t love it here. Sorry that is so offensive to you.

It was you that said the following?

Quote:
Sorry, but, you do realize that in the real world not everyone has the luxury of living in a place that they love, right? That some of us, due to our personal situations, are living in places we aren't exactly crazy about?
Sounds to me like you are saying that you are in El Paso because of some personal situation and you are still in El Paso due to that situation - you would rather not be but that situation is making you stay (hence you have no control over it, if you did, you would be out?).

The you say the following:

Quote:
That's nice. That is your opinion. Some people have different opinions, tastes, perspectives, likes and dislikes, and everyone is entitled to their opinion - even when it differs from yours. And to suggest that there is something wrong with someone because they have a different view of a place that you have visited one time is not only rude and ridiculous, it is extremely childish.
To which I point you to see above. I have no problem with what you are saying about El Paso, for all I know it may all be true - what I am questioning is the motivation. Many times people think they hate a place when in fact, something else is the problem and the place just seems to be the easy thing to focus on. If that's not the case, my apologies!

Old 02-09-2015, 10:17 PM

340 posts, read 608,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Sounds to me like you are saying that you are in El Paso because some personal situation and you are still in El Paso due to that situation - you would rather not be but that situation is making you stay (hence you have no control over it, if you did, you would be out?).
Sort of. It's not the most reasonable thing for me to leave at the moment, but I don’t think that is the same as saying that I am using the "excuse" that my "life is beyond my control." Just because I don't love El Paso doesn't mean that, all things considered, living here for the time being isn't best for my situation. Is it a choice? In a way, I suppose it is, but it doesn't mean that I have to think that someplace is my favorite place just because I live there.

Quote:
To which I point you to see above. I have no problem with what you are saying about El Paso, for all I know it may all be true - what I am questioning is the motivation. Many times people think they hate a place when in fact, something else is the problem and the place just seems to be the easy thing to focus on. If that's not the case, my apologies!
Okay, but to be fair, I didn't say that I hated El Paso. My complaint was people being oversensitive to any sort of criticism of this city. It's really not like I go around bad mouthing this city, expecting people not to be offended. Because I could understand someone being offended by that. But it really seems to me that EP suffers from some sort of 'civic inferiority complex', where any sort of criticism, however small, is taken as a huge slight. And that is super annoying to me. (And I guess some people's comments for some reason hit a nerve, if you know what I mean.)

I understand what you are saying about people feeling they hate a place, when really they hate their situation. It is a fair point. But, even if my situation was otherwise perfect, I would still be looking forward to moving, due to my own personal preferences. But, everyone's different, and if you move here you may very well love it.

Last edited by unnativeelpasoan; 02-09-2015 at 10:31 PM..

Old 02-10-2015, 07:22 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
...it really seems to me that EP suffers from some sort of 'civic inferiority complex', where any sort of criticism, however small, is taken as a huge slight.
I perceive the opposite in the general attitude of those who "defend" El Paso - great pride of place!

People who feel justifiably proud of their town/city are going to be understandably defensive and offended by those detractors who bad-mouth it.

Quote:
But, everyone's different, and if you move here you may very well love it.
My experience is just the opposite.

I was born and lived in El Paso for 35 years of my life and rarely found fault with it. Growing up, I had all of my immediate family - both grandparents and all my aunts, uncles and cousins there.

But since leaving to follow greater opportunities, I've never wanted to move back. When I chose to retire, I did the next best thing 'for me' and now live in the forested mountains of nearby New Mexico. I still visit El Paso on a regular basis, mostly for my health care, and always feel like "coming home" when I do visit. I can honestly say that; El Paso outgrew me!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso