Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:48 PM

756 posts, read 1,999,412 times

Advertisements

Well we made it!! been here since the 30th. stayed in the hotel for only a week then we move in our house on base, so not to bad so far.
the house is nice and everyone on base have been very helpful so far, still trying to find my way around this place alot bigger then south ms.
the kids are going to go to ross and austin schools, not sure how I feel about that yet guess I will find out this week!!!
I want to thank everyone for all the adv. you guys have given me the last few months. all of it has been helpful so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 12:59 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,215,716 times
welcome southernbliss, glad u made it here safe!!

Old 01-08-2008, 01:55 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,085 times
welcome home partner

Old 01-08-2008, 03:49 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
Glad you made it safely. If you need anything, just let me know. Welcome to Fort Bliss and El Paso TX. Hope all goes well for you while your here.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:30 PM

Well tell me something GOOD about Austin high, because so far it does not look that good!!
The other schools seem fine but there is something about that high school!!
anyone out there with good things to say or any good adv. for me?
Thanks everyone!!

Old 01-09-2008, 02:43 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,215,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
Well tell me something GOOD about Austin high, because so far it does not look that good!!
Thanks everyone!!
From what i heard, its cleaned up its act, i know they had some race riots in the late 90s, blacks against mexicans, mostly gang members, when i was in school early to mid 90s, it was pretty bad, alot of gangs, but recently i havent heard anything negative.I know its alot friendlier place now, the football team when undefeated for the first time since the 40s i beleive.Academically i know they been been struggling, they were one of the schools getting monitored by the State, because they had really low & unacceptable TAKS test scores, to be honest i would send my kids to Chapin, rather than sending them to AHS.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:47 PM

Please dont let your babies grow up to be Panthers. ( thats Austin Mascot ) didn't they used to be the cougars?

Austin High School - El Paso Independent School District - El Paso, Texas

Send them to CHAPIN! It is more diverse, it has many peers from the military going there, and they are a more military friendly school. Send them to CHAPIN! I beg you.

Capt. John L. Chapin High School El Paso, TX

Please for the sake of your children Southern..

Old 01-09-2008, 07:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
Thanks everyone!!
Definitely listen to your kids when it comes to the schools -- and change them out if you need to.

In every school there are kids that are doing just fine -- but if something isn't right -- trust your instincts. Especially if they are feeling threatened, or there's something not right about the kids they're hanging with -- too much goes on to ignore that aspect.

Be careful what kind of kids they are hanging out with -- and the party crews are not bad kids -- but they can run into serious trouble -- not so much getting killed but stabbings and gang fights are common and serious.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:21 PM

well she came home in a good mood yesterday and said that everthing was fine so I am taking it one day at a time, there is something about that school(more like a hang out)that I do not like, could be that on the frist day it was like no-one know what was going on. I will be watching and if something happen I will pull her out. from what I have been told everyone on this side of bliss goes to austin high, but so far only 2 kids on this st. go to austin the others are going to chapin high so I do not understand what is going on.
Like I said the other schools seem fine and the kids like everyone so far.
thanks for letting me vent!!

Old 01-10-2008, 03:39 PM

There is a reason they goto Chapin over Austin.. I would switch them out and trust your gut feelings on this.. better to act now than have a regret later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso