Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hypothetical: Where would El Paso best fit?
Texas 32 64.00%
New Mexico 18 36.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 09:22 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
... "Oh I passed through there are the way to XXXXX and it looked really dirty ugly" Hook tell me the truth - haven't you heard that before???
Ocean, I'll be the first one to admit that not only have I heard that, I also profess the same.

We all must be honest with ourselves, if you are an outsider just passing through El Paso and you see the buildings, graffiti, unkempt lawns, dirt and weeds on the esplanades, what would your thoughts be?

There are a myriad of answers to that, but I would gess that none of them are "pretty".

I do agree with you about the ignorance of El Paso on the behalf of those who have never been there, or even a desert. I once took someone with me camping to Ft. Davis, and Big Bend. This girlfriend was from Ohio, but living in Houston, and she was completely, and utterly amazed at what she experienced. It was 102 in the valley, but at the top of Big Bend National Park, the temperature was in the 60s, and pine trees. Not many people even know this fact. Also, in the park, at the river level, she was impressed with the lush growth of ferns, bamboo and other aquatic life in the estuaries. The crystal clear water in the river at Ft. Davis, to the pine forests in Cloudcroft; she never knew that about the area.

Sorry to get off topic, but my point is that she was ignorant of El Paso, and the area because she never had been there, but never heard anything about the place either. I suspect the same for the superintendent of your school. Perhaps you can suggest to combine the trip with a stop at Big Bend, or Ft. Davis as I did with my ex-girlfriend from Ohio!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 08:57 PM

729 posts, read 2,067,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Ocean.., I would disagree that El Paso pays more than it receives, I believe that is the problem with El Paso; I think the city receives far more in welfare programs in relation to revenues sent to the state as compared to other Texas cities. Perhaps this is one reason why El Paso does not receive more above the huge welfare dollars it receives.

I also think El Paso practices some sort of self-segregation, much as this thread implies, it is this thinking that perpetuates the sentiment of El Paso being left out, or that it should be part of New Mexico.

If you take away Fort Bliss, and the military in general, out of the picture, what distinguishes El Paso from let's say McAllen, Brownsville, or Del Rio? I'd say not much; I'd say the border cities are much more takers than givers in regards to tax revenues.

Where there is money, there is power. In fundamental terms, there is not great wealth in El Paso, thus no powerful leaders. But more importantly, the majority of El Pasoans are complacent with their government. If you have potential voters that don't get involved, who don't care, then you will have people who will take those 'prestigious' government offices without much effort; get those people elected and you won't get any effort on their part, why would you? What is their incentive if they were elected, in some cases, by default? Not exactly by default, but you get my drift.

For the record, I vote El Paso to be part of Texas. Also, as someone who lives in Houston and is from El Paso originally, I can tell you that most people here consider El Paso to be far, but not left out. Most are proud of Texas, the size of Texas, and El Paso. It's just more convenient to drive to Austin, San Antonio, or for a longer trip, Dallas/Ft Worth. It is just not convenient to drive to El paso, or vice versa.
(Your quote) self-segregation = (my quote) ELP shafting itself. You put it way better than I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso