Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 01:55 AM

271 posts, read 139,787 times

Advertisements

Hello All -

Let me preface this by letting you all know I am not a troll or trying to bait anyone... I'm looking for honest information that's it.

My boyfriend and I are wondering if its safe to venture into Juarez do have some dental work done. Several of the Juarez dental clinics offer cross-the-border pickup. Would this be safe....or are there other options...?

Thanks in advance.

Kathy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 09:29 AM

158 posts, read 438,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyKay44 View Post
Hello All -

Let me preface this by letting you all know I am not a troll or trying to bait anyone... I'm looking for honest information that's it.

My boyfriend and I are wondering if its safe to venture into Juarez do have some dental work done. Several of the Juarez dental clinics offer cross-the-border pickup. Would this be safe....or are there other options...?

Thanks in advance.

Kathy

Personally, I wouldn't do it. Do you want to go there due to lack of dental insurance and it is cheaper there? Some dentists here are happy to put you on a payment plan if that is the case.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:24 AM

507 posts, read 1,659,820 times
I did it back in the day. Most are Dentists with American Degrees. I wouldnt do it now because of the violence across the border, but there really isnt anything wrong with the dentists over there.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:57 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
It's better than driving yourself. The 2 main clinics (Rio Dental & Washington) have limited parking & you'll be worried about burglary or theft. I'm planning on going to Rio Dental later this summer - they quoted me about 1/3rd the cost of an El Paso dentist - www.riodental.com has a live chat on their website.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:28 PM

121 posts, read 402,371 times
I'd say it's up to you. If you can pay up here it's probably better to stay here. But if you're desperate for dental care over economic reasons, then you gotta do what you gotta do.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:36 PM

158 posts, read 438,946 times
My concern would purely be over your safety due to the violence. I have no concerns with seeing a doctor or dentist there. Heck, I had an elective surgery in Tiajuana a few years ago to save money. The doctor practiced in both the US and Mexico. Things went horribly wrong and they had to fix everything here at William Beaumont, but that's beside the point. It was a freak occurrence, nothing he did wrong. If it is financial, I would think that someone will work with you on a payment plan. Does UTEP have a dental school? Sometimes the schools will see patients for free or next to free simply to gain the experience.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 10,413 times
Unhappy Dental Care in Mexico

I used to have all my dental work in Juarez: NO MORE! Palomas, MX, has a nice dental clinic, but that town is now chancey.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:27 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default For whom the bell tolls...

Much of Mexico is dangerous, and I don't include Juarez in that group because it seems to me, anyway, that Juarez is beyond dangerous. Over the years, and recent months, people have said 'people only get hurt if they associate themselves with the drugs... stay away from crime and you will be safe'. Tell that to the City of El Paso and employees who's building was hit by stray bullets recently. One well placed employee working at a desk in direct line with the bullet could have been killed, or severly handicapped for life.

On July 3rd, 2010 alone, 15 people were murdered. Since July 1st to the 3rd, 27 people were murdered in Juarez. For the year, January to July 3rd, 1,419 people were murdered in Juarez. Since January of 2008 to July 3rd 2010, 5,796 murders. On average, that is 8 murders a day, or 247 a month. Do you think they are all solved? Some yes, but 247 murders a month? How many do you think they just ignore? How many people can the morgue in Juarez handle? It is a slaughter house there, I tell you.

The allure of cheap, anything, is great. Why pay somone in the US $1,200.00 dollars, when you can get it done in Juarez for $300.00? Heck, they will even pick you up, and take you back for no extra charge. That is a huge savings indeed.

What is a human life worth? What discount is one willing to agree to? Those who don't recognize that Juarez is an unfit city to visit under any circumstance are blind to a fate which may await them. Boo

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 07-11-2010 at 09:51 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 03:44 PM

355 posts, read 1,115,520 times
I wouldn't do it; My dad had some major work done in Jtown even though dentists here told him not to. He got it done over there anyway and ended up having to get his teeth fixed back in the states cuz they did a ****-poor job.

Of course, this isn't meant to imply that ALL dentists outside the US are shady (nor that all dentists in the states are good) but in his case the saying "You get what you pay for" surely was true...

Old 07-12-2010, 04:20 PM

507 posts, read 2,061,661 times
I travel in/around Jrz. 3-4 times a month. Of course it's risky. It's my understanding that these dentists are located near the bridges. If that's the case, and if they pick you up and drop off in the U.S., I'd be inclined to think you'll be fine. It's the quality of dental care I'd be worried about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso