Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 07:24 PM

575 posts, read 877,113 times

Advertisements

"regional adaptation bias" -- i.e., the grass is always greener.

I think native El Pasoans tend to blame the soldiers. Or the Juarenses. Or the New Mexicans. Or anyone but themselves.

it's the same everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 10:15 PM

3,503 posts, read 4,530,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet West View Post

I think native El Pasoans tend to blame the soldiers. Or the Juarenses. Or the New Mexicans. Or anyone but themselves.

Agreed, El Pasoans are no different then anybody else in the world in blaming others. I share an interesting story. To me it is also humorous.

I heard Soldiers complain that El Pasoans do not know how to drive. I was the Sergeant Major for the Fort Bliss Directorate of Public Works. I constantly had to make sure to submit repair services for fences, poles, etc. because they were damaged by Soldiers or their spouses and the average allowed maximum speed in Fort Bliss until recently had been 30 miles per hour!

Well, the funniest to me was when I was ordered to put STOP signs at the post's gas stations. How often do you see stop signs in any city in parking lots exits going into the street?! Think about it. Not much.

However, I tried to convince the leadership that it was not necessary to put STOP signs at the gas stations because drivers are supposed to look both ways before exiting a parking lot. I was ordered to do it.

The reason? Because there were many complains of near misses because Soldiers and their family member were having close calls because people were leaving without stopping to see the street traffic before they were going into the street.

So yes, again, El Pasoans are no different than anybody else in the world in blaming others. Take care.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:57 PM

3,394 posts, read 6,036,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet West View Post

LOL.

For that matter, I don't think the Juarenses or New Mexicans can drive very well, either.

Is auto insurance required to come from Mexico?

I'm not exactly a "grass is greener" type of person. Some Soldiers don't like it here, but I love it here. Maybe it's because of my aversion to humidity. Worst place I've been is Fort Polk, LA. That place is worse than being deployed.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:58 AM

363 posts, read 438,722 times
I almost got sent to oakdale before getting the news about la tuna. I guess I dodged a bullet!

Is auto insurance required here? Hahahahahahaha I have insurance to cover the uninsured people aiming for me.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:59 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,360,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer but I've been driving for 20 years, zero accidents, zero moving violations and have driven over 750,000 miles across this country and in other countries.

Why are the drivers here so horrible?

I'm from Chicago so I've seen some pretty crappy drivers but this is what I see constantly here:

-talking on the phone "hands free" while the phone is on speaker and holding the phone to their mouth
-5 MPH under in the left hand lane when there are clearly signs posted "left lane for passing only"
-lack of turn signal use
-drunk drivers
-riding their brakes
-lane changing/turning without warning (signal/brake)
-tailgaiting
-speeding through residential neighborhoods, so bad I've seen speed bumps put up. Only other place I've seen this is the middle east

For those who have spent significant time driving outside of ELP, is this your experience as well?

Don't get me wrong, I love this place, I'll stay here if I get out of the Army but the drivers here are just ridiculous.

If you think it's bad here, just go across the river into J-town for a real eye opener.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:23 PM

1,400 posts, read 854,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
That is true. I have literally driven across this country, driven in 30 states and as a collective whole, I have never seen drivers so awful outside of ELP.

I bumped up my insurance coverages after coming here.

No DUI El Paso estimates that 1/4 of the drivers here will have an interaction with drunk driving. I typically avoid I-10 because it makes my blood boil.
I thought I was alone in thinking that until I saw this thread. I-10 in El Paso is flat out dangerous. I've driven all over this country and IMO El Paso doesn't have the worst traffic in terms of volume, but the sheer recklessness of the drivers is beyond anything I've ever experienced.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:27 AM

13 posts, read 18,216 times
Default Question about the drivers here

He brags on that **** board of his about how many posts hes put up in the last 3 weeks, then comes over here and denies saying it.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:17 PM

797 posts, read 743,507 times
Half are from mexico,other half are on their phone.
It at times,makes me want to blow my brains out right in front of them while they are talking on their phone.
Ive said it on other post,I swear this town is cursed.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:24 PM

3,111 posts, read 2,932,049 times
I've been living in Thailand, and a recent report shows that only Egypt has worse drivers....and the Buddhist claim to have respect for living things! My arse. The funniest story (or perhaps saddest) was when a local newspaper went to interview a high ranking police officer about the drunk driving fatalities and why they were so lax. He declared "I can't ask my officers to stop and question these people....they are drunk and will become belligerent, when confronted." Great country, nice people....absolutely horrendous driving.
This 16 yo, without a license, killed 9 on an expressway....while on the "mobile phone."
Attached Thumbnails
Question about the drivers here-bkkgirl.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso