Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 07:44 PM

212 posts, read 371,443 times

Advertisements

Texas Monthly declares what a lot of us already know - virtually no outstanding barbeque in El Paso. Although they do pretty much confirm our status as a Tex-Mex Mecca.

BBQ in Far West Texas? I’ll Paso : TMBBQ

So what do you think? Do we desperately need a great BBQ joint? Or are we doing just fine as a Texas BBQ anomaly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 10:48 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,132,407 times
I see things haven't changed since I lived in El Paso in the 80s and 90s. Here in San Antonio we have barbecue fast food chains, as well as "gourmet" barbecue places. That is just about the only thing I missed about San Antonio.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:01 AM

575 posts, read 884,169 times
I read the article. I've never been a big bbq fan -- Rudy's is good enough for me.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:02 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,162,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet West View Post
I read the article. I've never been a big bbq fan -- Rudy's is good enough for me.
For the many years I was growing up in El Paso the two favorite BBQ places were Sol's and Smitty's.

Both places did a huge lunch time business - Sol's primarily a take-out operation and Smitty's a regular sit-down restaurant.

Sol's began in a corner location at Yandell and Stanton just north of the downtown area. It moved when the father passed the business on to the son and other family members who kept it going at a converted drive-in near the intersection of McRae with Montana on the east side. It closed when the son got old enough to retire.

Smitty's operated for 57 years at the intersection of Airport Rd. with Montana. I had Smitty's custom smoke turkeys, cabrito and sides of ribs for me a few times and was never disappointed with the results.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:21 PM

72 posts, read 149,118 times
Austin overtook Lockhart as the bbq capitol of Texas in my opinion. Whoever opens up a place like the ones in the video is going to make a killing in El Paso.

https://youtu.be/zh2fl5463BE

Old 04-18-2015, 02:28 PM

137 posts, read 173,940 times
State Line has good BBQ. Smokey's is really pretty good and not expensive. Their baby back ribs are really good. And their brisket too. Texas Monthly has a lot of snobs that write for that rag. So take whatever they say with a grain of salt. Most of their articles are written in that snob style. Don't waste your money at Rudy's. Dickey's BBQ was really pretty good and very inexpensive. Cheaper to eat there than at Smokey's. But unfortunately Dickey's did not make it there in EP.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:02 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Transit user View Post
State Line has good BBQ. Smokey's is really pretty good and not expensive. Their baby back ribs are really good. And their brisket too. Texas Monthly has a lot of snobs that write for that rag. So take whatever they say with a grain of salt. Most of their articles are written in that snob style. Don't waste your money at Rudy's. Dickey's BBQ was really pretty good and very inexpensive. Cheaper to eat there than at Smokey's. But unfortunately Dickey's did not make it there in EP.
I tend to agree . TM is very much Austin centered. Sorry to say that I sense that with Texas Highways as well even though I enjoy reading it. I have eaten at Coopers in Llano a couple times. Very good BBQ; however, we still enjoy Stateline and Rudy's.

After eating Mexican food in Marble Falls , I couldn't believe that you could get such awful stuff in Texas . It was miserable. And there were lots of cars around! Even Chevy's in Portland OR was better than that!! Granted, we have the best Mex. Food here !!

Old 04-18-2015, 07:53 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,132,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I tend to agree . TM is very much Austin centered. Sorry to say that I sense that with Texas Highways as well even though I enjoy reading it. I have eaten at Coopers in Llano a couple times. Very good BBQ; however, we still enjoy Stateline and Rudy's.

After eating Mexican food in Marble Falls , I couldn't believe that you could get such awful stuff in Texas . It was miserable. And there were lots of cars around! Even Chevy's in Portland OR was better than that!! Granted, we have the best Mex. Food here !!
I agree about the Mexican food! Even the Taco Cabanas in El Paso are better than the Taco Cabanas in San Antonio. I was never able to create a fondness for Chicos in the nine years I lived in El Paso, though!

Old 04-19-2015, 11:36 PM

72 posts, read 149,118 times
TM definitely is Austin biased but after living here for the past 6 years I can tell you there's no bbq in El Paso that's like here. That being said I'm still trying to find a place with decent menudo here.

http.yelp.com/biz/rollin-smoke-bbq-austin

Old 04-20-2015, 11:42 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGabe View Post
Texas Monthly declares what a lot of us already know - virtually no outstanding barbeque in El Paso. Although they do pretty much confirm our status as a Tex-Mex Mecca.

BBQ in Far West Texas? I’ll Paso : TMBBQ

So what do you think? Do we desperately need a great BBQ joint? Or are we doing just fine as a Texas BBQ anomaly?
Gotta correct you there, hoss. El Paso doesn't do Tex-Mex, we do Chih-Mex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso