Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 04:37 PM

344 posts, read 416,613 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any fiction books (good, bad, pulp, etc) set in the El Paso area? I enjoyed reading Rick Riordan and David Lindsey's San Antonio themed books and would like to find something similar set in El Paso.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 07:55 PM

26 posts, read 47,721 times
The Shootist, by Glendon Swarthout.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:57 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
"Tom Mix and Pancho Villa" by Clifford Irving
- mainly northern Mexico during the revolution but also Juarez & El Paso
http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Pancho-Vil.../dp/0312808879

Old 05-07-2015, 08:04 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
"Tom Mix and Pancho Villa" by Clifford Irving
I loved that book. It lead me to seek out and read at least one volume of Pancho Villa's biography - the part about his revolutionary days (non-fiction).

I also once owned the book: Bullets, Bottles and Gardenias (1935) which was written by El Paso newspaper reporter Timothy G. Turner, who witnessed much of the activities during the Mexican Revolution in and around the El Paso area. The book is well illustrated with photos of people and scenes of battle/destruction. While it is available used on Amazon.com (for a price), there is also a digitized version at this web site:

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.b3296605;view=1up;seq=25

There are many NOVELS that contain some mention of El Paso but I don't know of any author who serialized stories centered in El Paso in the way that some authors have done for other locales. Cormac McCarthy actually lived in El Paso for awhile when writing his "Border Trilogy" series, the last volume, "Cities of the Plains" being set in the Jarilla Mtns. at Orogrande (N. of El Paso) and also in El Paso/Juarez.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:05 AM

344 posts, read 416,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
Does anyone know of any fiction books (good, bad, pulp, etc) set in the El Paso area? I enjoyed reading Rick Riordan and David Lindsey's San Antonio themed books and would like to find something similar set in El Paso.

Thanks for the good suggestions! I want to correct an error in my original post. I stated David Lindsey had written stories set in San Antonio. I was thinking of Jay Brandon. Many of Lindsey's books are set in Houston. Brandon and Lindsey are both wonderful writers and I consider them to be on the level of Baldacci or Grisham. Ben Rehder is another author that uses rural Texas in his stories. He is along the lines of a Texas version of Carl Hiassen.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:14 AM

212 posts, read 371,307 times
Fire On The Mountain by Edward Abbey
Fire on the Mountain (Abbey novel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seven Days In May
by Fletcher Knebel and Charles W. Bailey II
Seven Days in May: Remembrance of Books Past | Washington Independent Review of Books

No Country For Old Men
by Cormac McCarthy
No Country for Old Men - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-07-2015, 10:40 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Here's a web site that lists 65 books by El Paso based authors who have written about El Paso. Most are non-fiction but there is a mix in this list:

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9307.Books_by_El_Paso_Authors

Here's a newly published author by the name of Tricia Fields...:
Quote:
...who writes a mystery series set in West Texas that explores how a small town chief of police, Josie Gray, leading a financially strapped department, deals with the increasing violence across the border in Mexico. Locale is a big part of Fields’ mysteries – the desert and the isolation that comes with it. Fields currently has two books in print. The Territory, which won the Tony Hillerman prize for best first mystery, and Scratchgravel Road.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:57 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,830,296 times
Jaime Reyes, the latest incarnation of the Blue Beetle superhero, is from El Paso, and I think some of the Blue Beetle comics are set there (partially).

Since you mention Rick Riordan, Carter and Sadie Kane, his middle-school-aged Egyptian magicians who are the stars of his Kane Chronicles series, pass through El Paso at one point in the series, though they travel around a lot. As I remember, at one point in the first book The Red Pyramid, they hang out by the Rio Grande near (I think) Smeltertown, watch a family of undocumented immigrants cross the river from Mexico, and fight the Egyptian crocodile god Sobek coming out of the Rio Grande.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:12 PM

575 posts, read 883,769 times
cool, atrabilius, I didn't know that. I've only read the Percy Jackson books.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:35 PM

643 posts, read 1,312,769 times
I know there's a vampire comic book about Juarez and El Paso. I used my Google-Fu but didn't turn up anything. Maybe someone else can?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso