Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 11:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,702 times

Advertisements

I'm at my wits end! I'm a dog lover however several of my neighbors are allowing their dogs to run loose. It would. A problem except I am constantly finding dog excrement on my front lawn. A few times on my back lawn which is a fenced area with gates and chicken wire on the gates. There is no way to lock gates. Who thinks it's okay to let themselves into someone's backyard to let their dog relieve themselves? I've followed a couple of the dogs and called animal control but I can watch my yard 24/7 I'm tired of cleaning up after someone else's pet. I have a five year old daughter that plays on this lawn. The law states the pets must be on leashes and the owners must clean up after these pets. Obviously calling animal control did not help so what can I do? Moving is not an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 07:36 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Have you talked to the owners at all?? Or is this not a friendly neighborhood?

It would be difficult to live with this blatant disrespect.

Can you install cameras? Then take them to court, or call authorities. Coming into your gates is trespassing. Have you got posted trespassing signs?

I have heard that some apartment complexes are doing DNA testing and pursuing action on residents who do not pick up after their dogs.

I personally wouldn't like the dogs running loose either. I sure hope that you get some resolution to this matter.

I sure empathize with you. I hope others have suggestions.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:37 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Lock your gates.
Think of using some deterrents. There are pop-up sprinklers, sprays, etc.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:49 PM

202 posts, read 433,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Have you talked to the owners at all?? Or is this not a friendly neighborhood?

It would be difficult to live with this blatant disrespect.

Can you install cameras? Then take them to court, or call authorities. Coming into your gates is trespassing. Have you got posted trespassing signs?

I have heard that some apartment complexes are doing DNA testing and pursuing action on residents who do not pick up after their dogs.

I personally wouldn't like the dogs running loose either. I sure hope that you get some resolution to this matter.

I sure empathize with you. I hope others have suggestions.
DNA testing? Are you serious? Wouldn't that cost more time, effort, and money than just picking up the poop yourself?

Old 05-21-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilo View Post
DNA testing? Are you serious? Wouldn't that cost more time, effort, and money than just picking up the poop yourself?
Guess you could Google it.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,702 times
We have tried to talk them but they stop and start again. It is also a large neighborhood with lots of dogs. I bought some deterrent to sprinkle in the lawn that's supposed to smell bad. I would just rip up the grass because that is what is attracting them but it's a rental home. Also animal control is not doing a whole lot about it. They want addresses and while I can give them some I'm not sure if they are the only ones. I'm close to putting the poop on their front doorstep. Also it's kind of hard know where they are coming from if I'm not home when it happens. I only know some because I saw the offending dog and followed them. But usually happens when I'm gone or in the middle of the night.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:59 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
My personal take: game camera and present the evidence to the police. Game cameras aren't expensive, IIRC.

If the police fail to act, call animal control and if they fail to act, the power of social media has proven to be a motivator.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:48 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,629,836 times
Put in a game camera and if you notice someone in the yard call the police. They should be there within 5-10 minutes and with any luck the person will still be there. Nothing conveys the message better than being caught in flagranti - it will also serve as a warning to others who are doing the same thing.

Make sure you keep records of all interactions with the authorities (such as animal control) and present them to the officers who show up. This will add weight of prior attempts to resolve the matter, which have failed.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
My personal take: game camera and present the evidence to the police. Game cameras aren't expensive, IIRC.

If the police fail to act, call animal control and if they fail to act, the power of social media has proven to be a motivator.
Really good suggestions.
I wonder....are they opening your gate to let their dogs in?? If there is an entrance folks are having to open....get those loud obnoxious door alarms....I've seen them in packs of 4 at cheap stores like dollar stores and Walmarts.
I think any loud noise will scare the dogs and act like a deterrent....it might make the neighbors think twice about breaking onto your property, especially if they sit off alarms.

Last edited by JanND; 05-23-2015 at 07:47 PM..

Old 05-23-2015, 08:14 PM

Just did a search....This looks interesting, and well worth trying How to Keep Dogs & Cats from Pooping on Your Yard Don't skip the comments, very interesting too.

Chiptips.com or watch this video http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...n=related_test

Last edited by JanND; 05-23-2015 at 08:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso