Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 06:49 AM

170 posts, read 299,205 times

Advertisements

Just a question about comparing central Albuquerque and central El Paso. Although both cities are similar in size, abq seems to have more going on as far as walkable neighborhoods with eating, drinking, and retail than elp. I’m not knocking El Paso, but I am looking at moving out of a larger city in Texas. So for those familiar with both cities is there anything in El Paso similar to nob hill, old town, or even barillos. Or is El Paso starting to develop more in that direction? I know UNM has something to do with it, but aren’t UNM and UTEP similar in size?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 11:34 AM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
I dont know the two cities very well but El Paso is like a city of about 3M in many ways. that is the population when adding in the Mexico population that is part of the metro.

I know a lady who was retired with kids living in Europe and decided to move to El Paso from Phoenix for lower cost of living and better flight access to Europe. Ft Bliss is a key reason for this as well as the number of people in the area. Law Cruses is a nice NM option if you prefer NM to Texas for some reason and NMSU is there as you know. Also, El Paso area has one of the best oktober fest activities due to a battalion of German soldiers stationed in the area because of the white sands missile range. When they do high tech tests of military stuff NASA staff and foreign staff can come in for the test so the flights to different spots are more necessary than a typical city its size.

I read an article claiming the wealthier business owners in Juarez own homes and live in El Paso for schools and safety for the family and cross back daily to run their business in Mexico. El Paso has good stats I am told for being a very safe city surprisingly

Ft Bliss is huge too its benefited s in growing a lot as congress shut down smaller military bases and moved the mission group into Ft Bliss. Something like a Billion dollar of construction was going on a few years ago on the base.

interesting tidbit about US 70 is it can be shut down when one of these white sands test is going on. Can you imagine
scheduled shut down of a US highway? LOL

I will be following your progress and decision with interest

Last edited by Johnhw2; 07-14-2020 at 12:26 PM..

Old 07-14-2020, 01:15 PM

170 posts, read 299,205 times
Thank you for the reply. I probably should say that I’m recently retired. Considering staying in Texas due to the lower cost of living and tax rates. I had narrowed it down to the Palm Springs area, or Phoenix. As I’m structuring my financial situation I’m thinking I might should consider areas like Elp,Abq, and possibly Tucson. I live in a very vibrant area in central Austin and would like to maintain that. I’m anglo and enjoy the bi-cultural diversity of the southwest. I’m also looking for low humidity and proximity to the mountains. So with the cities mentioned it will probably come down to visiting some more after this covid thing.

Old 07-14-2020, 06:01 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Thanks for the update. I have been in Texas since 1983. Ive been retired for 13 years now, we moved to DFW from Hluston post retirement. Whille I like DFW and being near family and love Texas if I had it to do over again I would have visited Nashville metro as an option. Pretty country side, fast growing pretty city and best cost of living and tax situation I can find for a retiree in my situation.

I love NM mountains. Our famly owns a rustic cabin at 8600 feet elevation. But that altitude is rougher as you age so we visit less and less now.

Good luck with your retirement and decision on where to live. I like El Paso it reminds me of NM with the Texas taxes but low humidity and close to the mountains

Old 07-17-2020, 03:04 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,008 times
Nm has a state tax but low property taxes. If you dont have a high income, nm will be cheaper. You could live in Santa Teresa rather than el paso, and you are 10 min from el paso. So you would get the el paso benefits without the high property taxes.
Tucson has a high crime rate as does ABQ.
Old Mesilla is in Las Cruces and is comparable to old town in ABQ.
Downtown el paso has been undergoing a revitalization with more restaurants and clubs. You also have Cincinnati district which has walkable area of restaurants, wine bars and clubs.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:00 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,218 times
ABQ and especially all points north of there in NM are going to have a prettier landscape than EP, but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It´s certainly greener in Northern NM, but by no means am I not enthralled by the Saudi Arabia-type landscape of El Paso.

El Paso is much safer than ABQ.

Old 07-17-2020, 05:15 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
ABQ and especially all points north of there in NM are going to have a prettier landscape than EP, but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It´s certainly greener in Northern NM, but by no means am I not enthralled by the Saudi Arabia-type landscape of El Paso.

El Paso is much safer than ABQ.
For it's size ABQ has a ton of crazy s##t that happens there, a friend of mine was running a construction job there 2 years ago and one of his employees truck was shot up from a road rage incident. It was crazy, stuff like that is very very rare in el paso (Wal mart shooting doe snot count since it was a crazy outsider that did that).

Old 07-17-2020, 06:36 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
For it's size ABQ has a ton of crazy s##t that happens there, a friend of mine was running a construction job there 2 years ago and one of his employees truck was shot up from a road rage incident. It was crazy, stuff like that is very very rare in el paso (Wal mart shooting doe snot count since it was a crazy outsider that did that).
Yeah I´ve heard about stuff like that happening. It´s got a bigger drug problem than the average city, and apparently a lot of gangs are attracted to the idea of doing business in a city with a grossly overwhelmed and understaffed police force:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDFb_KLKDec

Old 08-02-2020, 06:57 AM

50 posts, read 74,772 times
I left Albuquerque in the 2000's because of the crime. The city and police weren't getting on top of it and it was worse every day. Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-03-2020, 04:40 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,302 times
Alb more crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso