Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:07 AM

10,408 posts, read 2,596,664 times

Advertisements

My daughter and I (mom) be driving through Texas and plan on stopping in the El Paso area for the night. Want to stay kind of close to the 10. Can you recommend a hotel in a SAFE area, thats not too expensive? We'd like to be close to places to eat, maybe a mall, or someplace with something to do. Safety is my biggest concern. If there is another town within an hour west or east of El Paso on the 10, that you'd recommend, we are open to that, too.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 04:28 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
If you can stay at Motels besides Hotels then there are many nice ones all along Interstate-10 on El Paso's East Side. Also Las Cruces about 40 miles West of El Paso has nice ones along the exits on I-10 there.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:16 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
Peggy.. I know you think that post I made was rude.. but I ask you to check the El Paso thread. We have another topic that is exact in every way to this one. Making me think this is a POST BOT. If it is not I am sorry to the person asking the question. I had answered this exact same question here once before. Sorry if I was rude. I will see if I can dig up the old thread for you.. so you can see I was not trying to be rude in any way.

SOCALMOMMA, There are plenty of hotels all along I10, all nice and safe. I recommend the Holiday Inn at Airways.

I can't seem to locate it.. so I apologize if I was rude before.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:36 PM

I did try to see if there was already a recent post about hotels specifically in the area, but didnt see anything. I did see the one about the different 'areas' of El Paso, but it wasn't really helping me because we are just passing thru town and all I want is a safe, nice hotel

I appreciate your input, its good to know that its generally a safe area.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:01 PM

Again Sorry SoCalMomma.. I hope my second reply was helpful.

I see by doing a research your driving I-10 quite a ways.. as a former Truck Driver.. where are you headed? I can give you some advice on places to stop and check out along the way. If your heading across TX and El Paso is your first stop.. then fill up with gas here, then you should be ok till Fort Stockton. From there depending on you MPG, you should be ok till San Antonio.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:08 PM

Ok, since you asked. We are driving from Southern California to Orlando, Florida!

We're going to try to stick to 7 or 8 hrs of driving per day. So I planned to stop in Phoenix/Chandler, El Paso, San Antonio, New Orleans, Panama City & then on to Orlando. Do you think it's doable?

Believe me, I'd rather fly, but my daughter is going to be working in Disney World and she wants her car. I don't want her to drive herself, so I'm going along.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
I did try to see if there was already a recent post about hotels specifically in the area, but didnt see anything. I did see the one about the different 'areas' of El Paso, but it wasn't really helping me because we are just passing thru town and all I want is a safe, nice hotel

I appreciate your input, its good to know that its generally a safe area.

If you're coming from the West, there are motels right as you come into El Paso -- Mesa exit. Places to eat there also -- and it's pretty safe of an area.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:18 PM

Thats a Great drive.. Texas will be your biggest hurdle.

Texas is about 14 hours alone.. so be ready for it to never end. I would stay at the Holiday Inn at Airways still, you would of put most of 1-10 El Paso behind you, unless you want to just take Trans-Mountain over and the loop 375 ( look at google maps... that would be a great diversion, and depending on the time of day, maybe a better choice since it can get grid locked in the afternoons. Here is a google link to that hotel..

Hotels on I10 loc: El Paso, TX - Google Maps

Or you could stay in Las Cruces and get an early jump on things the next day and take the loop like I suggested and bypass most of El Paso traffic.

When you get to San Antonio, be careful where you stay.. you may want to stay at a hotel just before San Antonio... like in BoerneTX.

Hotels loc: Boerne, TX - Google Maps

Its nicer and safer there.. and then again drive though early.

Don't stay in New Orleans. Please don't. It is still a very violent place and I would advise against it. If you can drive on to Gulfport Mississippi, and stay at one of the hotels there on 410. I lived in that area and its safe.. there is a Super Wal*Mart there as well so if you need to stock up on sodas and ice you can. Just don't stay in the one hotel with the night club.. Mavericks or something like that.. you'll see it.

Panama City is way out of your way, any reason for it, unless you have friends or family there.. or just want to see the water? If your gonna go that way get off i-10 at Pensacola and drive the water way.. its an awesome drive you'll love it.

Don't stay in Tallahassee either. Just a warning. Keep a cell phone on you at all times.

Be safe and have a great trip.. hope your daughter likes her new job. If you need any more info or help let me know..

Old 02-08-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Thats a Great drive.. Texas will be your biggest hurdle.

Texas is about 14 hours alone.. so be ready for it to never end. I would stay at the Holiday Inn at Airways still, you would of put most of 1-10 El Paso behind you, unless you want to just take Trans-Mountain over and the loop 375 ( look at google maps... that would be a great diversion, and depending on the time of day, maybe a better choice since it can get grid locked in the afternoons. Here is a google link to that hotel..

Hotels on I10 loc: El Paso, TX - Google Maps

Or you could stay in Las Cruces and get an early jump on things the next day and take the loop like I suggested and bypass most of El Paso traffic.

When you get to San Antonio, be careful where you stay.. you may want to stay at a hotel just before San Antonio... like in BoerneTX.

Hotels loc: Boerne, TX - Google Maps

Its nicer and safer there.. and then again drive though early.

Don't stay in New Orleans. Please don't. It is still a very violent place and I would advise against it. If you can drive on to Gulfport Mississippi, and stay at one of the hotels there on 410. I lived in that area and its safe.. there is a Super Wal*Mart there as well so if you need to stock up on sodas and ice you can. Just don't stay in the one hotel with the night club.. Mavericks or something like that.. you'll see it.

Panama City is way out of your way, any reason for it, unless you have friends or family there.. or just want to see the water? If your gonna go that way get off i-10 at Pensacola and drive the water way.. its an awesome drive you'll love it.

Don't stay in Tallahassee either. Just a warning. Keep a cell phone on you at all times.

Be safe and have a great trip.. hope your daughter likes her new job. If you need any more info or help let me know..
Wow, thanks for all the info..

I'll have to consider your Texas loop idea. See, these are the things only locals can tell you - traffic, and stuff like that

Also, sorry to hear that New Orleans is still so bad, we were hoping things would have gotten better by now. We can skip that, no big deal. We are white, small females, and like I said in my original post, safety is my biggest worry. I appreciate your input.

I have always wanted to go to Panama City Beach - so we thought we'd go there and stay a day or two and relax after all our driving, before heading to Orlando. We live about 15-20 min from Malibu and love the beach. It will be great to see another coast Do you recommend another beach town that is similar to Panama City Beach that is not as 'out of the way'?

Thanks again - if you think of anything else, please let me know!

Old 02-09-2008, 12:41 AM

Well if you head down though Pensacola FL. down to 98.. and keep heading east on that, you will see some really pretty beaches. I have friends in Fort Walton, and in Destin too. If you take 98, you will have a bit of a slower drive, but you wont be on a lonely highway either.. you'll always be near some small town or sign of life.. maybe a little less scary... and hotels and motels are scatted all along there.

There is a Place called Navarre, take the time to stop off there, its a great little place. there is a cute park there.. it has these little kids tiles with hand prints in the play area.. with messages and good wishes.. besides that its a great place to catch your breath and stretch your legs. Its very pretty. here is a map..

Google Maps

Between Fort Walton and Destin there is a stretch of road that has water on both sides.. all along there there are little areas that you can cross the dunes to the Gulf side.. stop at one of those and walk to the beach.. it is breath taking. the water is so green, and the waves so high and the sand so white.. I have pictures I can share.. its amazing.

But no Panama Beach is also wonderful, a great place to relax and rejuve.. after such a long journey.

I miss that whole area so much.. I should go back. Ahh well maybe Galveston will be enough for me. =)

Good luck on your drive.. if you need any more help or advice let me know..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso