Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 12:10 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,215,716 times

Advertisements

My friends wife skipped jury duty,and now she got a letter asking her to go to the couthouse to explain why she didnt go, what could be the consequences, truthfully?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 12:13 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
A Fine, or Jail Time.. most likely a fine.. 250-2000 dollars.. now if she has a valid excuse they just give her a new date and if she misses that one, a warrant is issued.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:25 PM

447 posts, read 1,579,251 times
Uh oh I missed one and didn't even look out for a letter. Where can I find out?

Old 11-11-2008, 12:31 PM

67 posts, read 301,482 times
Have her to show up drooling on herself and wearing her cloths inside out. Hold her hand and say it was your fault for not reading her mail to her. Urine stains can't hurt. Make sure her hair is messed up and shes missing a shoe.

Pretty sure whoever listens to excuses will sympathize with her, might even get some free candy or something.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:53 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default For whom the bell tolls....

I take my civic duty of serving on a jury with pride, and respect. It does not pay anything worth noting of course, but I try to empathize with those on the other side of the floor. Here is why...

I put myself in their shoes, no matter what the crime is. I've been called to jury duty several times, convicted a few people, and I can see how helpless the defendants are at times. This is not to say they are not guilty, I've found people not guilty as well. The defendants are not all that nice either, the dredges of society often times.

The helplessness comes from the fact of knowing that 6, or 12 of your peers have a soul's fate in their hands. What the jurors decide can greatly affect one's life, and depending on the circumstances, put someone away in prison for decades.

Think about that for a moment.

Imagine yourself in prison, with ingrates, rapists, murderers. How will it destroy your family, how it will embarrass those whom love, and/or depend on you? You will loose all your friends, either by shame, or through time, and you will love your family, and your parents more than life itself because they are usually the ones who won't forsake you.

The aforementioned can be the result of any type of crime, it does not have to be a heinous crime, it could be something like writing bad checks just to eat, or any non violent act. Having fun on a weekend and smoking some pot (not that I condone that).

Having put myself in their shoes, I have to say, I do not want ANYONE sitting in the jury box that will judge me to have an attitude of not wanting to be there, to be antagonized for having to go, to say crap to attorneys just to get out of their civic duty, to want to leave just to take the day off and go party since they have an excuse not to go to work that day.

No, I would want people who care, people who want to do the right thing, people who will listen with an open mind, no matter how bad the crime was, people who might, even just a sliver, relate to my situation. Someone with compassion, for these are the people who will determine my fate.

So I ask you, would you want people who want to skip out of jury duty there to race through just so they can get out, or get it over with to determine your fate?

I didn't think so.

Please explain this to people you know in case some day they, or god forbid, you should ever find yourself in front of a jury of your peers.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:35 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
I always get out of Jury duty, I just ask is he Mexican? No matter the answer I say oh then he/she is guilty. I am excused every time.

I'm only kidding people.. you should take your civic duty seriously.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:54 PM

49 posts, read 313,348 times
If you get a jury summons and have something planned during that time, just call the number on the summons and they will reschedule you for another time. No need to skip out on it. I've served on two and actually enjoyed the process.

Brother's got a point too....how would you feel if you found yourself on the business end of a criminal trial? Your freedom is on the line....wouldn't you want the 12 people in the box to take it seriously? It can happen to anyone.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I always get out of Jury duty, I just ask is he Mexican? No matter the answer I say oh then he/she is guilty. I am excused every time.

I'm only kidding people.. you should take your civic duty seriously.
Mrs. Bowie has seen people use that approach when she was called for jury duty. I know you were joking, but it does work.

The drawback is that it usually irritates the judge like crazy. Life can take unexpected turns and people who do that should hope they never end up on trial in front of that judge.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:06 PM

67 posts, read 301,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizlefrak View Post
Brother's got a point too....how would you feel if you found yourself on the business end of a criminal trial? Your freedom is on the line....wouldn't you want the 12 people in the box to take it seriously? It can happen to anyone.
I think people skipping out on jury duty is a good thing. I wouldn't want someone like that to have any influence over my trial. Then again they may be inclined to say "screw it, let him go"

I feel its a wash.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:11 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,215,716 times
im aware of what brother said, im just asking, because he asked me [my frend] , i was just curious, i myself have never skipped jury duty, im glad to get out of wrk anytime i have a chance!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso