Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 12:11 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,085 times

Advertisements

Had created a poll for discussion on city-data ( //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...southwest.html ) on which big city feels southwestn. El Paso is ranked very low and Phoenix unfairly high. Phoenix to me and others that know or agree had lost any SW feeling long time ago and feels like southern California. I am just amazed how many people are not familiar with El Paso and set the city aside with that negative old "border city" image.

What's not SW about El Paso? The scenery, the chihuahuan desert, the architecture, the long history, etc. ?

Thoughts? Is El Paso moving forwards?

Last edited by WildWestDude; 04-09-2016 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 06:30 PM

575 posts, read 883,769 times
you ever read "One of our 50 is missing" from New Mexico magazine. It's hilarious and sad -- many people don't knew that New Mexico is a U.S. State. If they miss a whole state, not surprised they miss one city. Phoenix is probably the only place they could think of, although I'm surprised Santa Fe didn't win.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:10 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
El Paso's a great pace to live.

shhhhh! Don't tell anybody.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet West View Post
you ever read "One of our 50 is missing" from New Mexico magazine. It's hilarious and sad -- many people don't knew that New Mexico is a U.S. State. If they miss a whole state, not surprised they miss one city. Phoenix is probably the only place they could think of, although I'm surprised Santa Fe didn't win.
Santa Fe would be too small of a city for that poll but IMO its way too commercialized and has lost its authentic feeling whereas Taos fell more quaint.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:39 PM

524 posts, read 1,369,362 times
In my opinion..my hometown of Chuco is reslly moving forward..there are a lot of new stores and restaurants being built..Today..I went to Fountain at the Farah's..and was surprised to see how many classy restaurants were there. I can remember when this area was a huge manufacturing plant that made jeans...Also a couple of the old buildings downtown have or will be upscale hotels..I heard that Bassett Tower will be renovated to be a nice hotel..the Placita is said to be about ready to open..or last I heard..Will always luv my town..and am considering moving back when I fully retire..after all it is said to be the safest city in the US..

Old 11-26-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XChucoresident View Post
In my opinion..my hometown of Chuco is reslly moving forward..there are a lot of new stores and restaurants being built..Today..I went to Fountain at the Farah's..and was surprised to see how many classy restaurants were there. I can remember when this area was a huge manufacturing plant that made jeans...Also a couple of the old buildings downtown have or will be upscale hotels..I heard that Bassett Tower will be renovated to be a nice hotel..the Placita is said to be about ready to open..or last I heard..Will always luv my town..and am considering moving back when I fully retire..after all it is said to be the safest city in the US..
Yes, I see lots of plans but are have the materialized since your post? Is downtown on the move with construction?

Old 11-30-2016, 12:52 AM

879 posts, read 3,036,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Yes, I see lots of plans but are have the materialized since your post? Is downtown on the move with construction?
El Paso's Downtown renovation is moving forward nicely, still at a slow pace but moving forward nonetheless. Currently several investors are snatching up many of the buildings in Downtown quickly.

This August El Paso Inc article talks all the new investments and projects in Downtown.
$110M private investment Downtown - El Paso Inc.: Local News

This El Paso Times article that just came out talks about the recent sale of the 106-year-old seven-story Abdou building and how several other buildings have recently sold in Downtown.
Young investors buy historic Downtown building

The 5-mile Downtown streetcar project is under construction with a completion date set for sometime in late 2018.

The new El Paso $180-million arena (Multipurpose Cultural and Performing Arts Center) was recently approved by city council. Its location will be in the Union Plaza area in Downtown.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuco View Post
El Paso's Downtown renovation is moving forward nicely, still at a slow pace but moving forward nonetheless. Currently several investors are snatching up many of the buildings in Downtown quickly.

This August El Paso Inc article talks all the new investments and projects in Downtown.
$110M private investment Downtown - El Paso Inc.: Local News

This El Paso Times article that just came out talks about the recent sale of the 106-year-old seven-story Abdou building and how several other buildings have recently sold in Downtown.
Young investors buy historic Downtown building

The 5-mile Downtown streetcar project is under construction with a completion date set for sometime in late 2018.

The new El Paso $180-million arena (Multipurpose Cultural and Performing Arts Center) was recently approved by city council. Its location will be in the Union Plaza area in Downtown.
Good to see that. Hope that translates to GOOD JOBS which as we all know El Paso needs.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:19 PM

4 posts, read 4,462 times
El Paso in the 1950's was terrific. Downtown: Big movie theaters, the alligator pond, shopping. When my parents wanted Chinese food they went to Juarez. I was born at Fort Bliss and my father in the Air Force stationed at Biggs AFB. Texas Western was THE school for football. Ashley's Mexican food had a big company there. When we lived in England my dad had Ashley's shipped to us...tortilla's were in a round flat can. Based on the packaging and colors, I think they became Old El Paso Spanish food. Summers were hot as hell and my aunt ran a motel on Alameda which had a swimming pool. yyiippee. I was 7 or 8. I sold Spud Nuts (doughnuts) house to house. Fresh each day. Had a big basket that hung around my neck full of bags of half dozen fresh doughts (sort of like big Krisy Kremes today). 50 cents a bag of 6. I went to Ascarate Elementry school. Was in the boy scouts and we camped at Huceo Tanks. It was out in the desert and not a historic park. Or we would drive to Cloudcroft New Mexico for winter camp. Each summer there were professional speed boat races on Ascarate Lake. Irrigation ditches ran through the city and suburbs of El Paso. I lived on George Orr Rd and across the street were cotton fields...still being hand picked. Of course it was a simpler times and safe. We rode our bikes everywhere, played outside, ran barefoot even with the spur stickers (ouch). My family did not have a lot of money but we had fun. My girl FRIEND's mom let us help her make flour tortillas....mmmm, hot and fresh. My grandfather had a house on the major road that went to Alamagordo, NM. He was out in the middle of the desert. Paid $2 an acre. Nothing but sand, cacti and tumble weeds. Had to bring his water in 50 gallon drums and pumped it up into a water tank he built. Gravity fed the water to the house. Needless to stay he made a lot of money off it as there are shopping centers and housing developments on his land right now. Well, sorry for the book........I just wanted to make a brief comment about El Paso and memories popped up. I am in Virginia now. But those of you in El Paso, all the best to you.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:05 PM

524 posts, read 1,369,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranman84 View Post
El Paso in the 1950's was terrific. Downtown: Big movie theaters, the alligator pond, shopping. When my parents wanted Chinese food they went to Juarez. I was born at Fort Bliss and my father in the Air Force stationed at Biggs AFB. Texas Western was THE school for football. Ashley's Mexican food had a big company there. When we lived in England my dad had Ashley's shipped to us...tortilla's were in a round flat can. Based on the packaging and colors, I think they became Old El Paso Spanish food. Summers were hot as hell and my aunt ran a motel on Alameda which had a swimming pool. yyiippee. I was 7 or 8. I sold Spud Nuts (doughnuts) house to house. Fresh each day. Had a big basket that hung around my neck full of bags of half dozen fresh doughts (sort of like big Krisy Kremes today). 50 cents a bag of 6. I went to Ascarate Elementry school. Was in the boy scouts and we camped at Huceo Tanks. It was out in the desert and not a historic park. Or we would drive to Cloudcroft New Mexico for winter camp. Each summer there were professional speed boat races on Ascarate Lake. Irrigation ditches ran through the city and suburbs of El Paso. I lived on George Orr Rd and across the street were cotton fields...still being hand picked. Of course it was a simpler times and safe. We rode our bikes everywhere, played outside, ran barefoot even with the spur stickers (ouch). My family did not have a lot of money but we had fun. My girl FRIEND's mom let us help her make flour tortillas....mmmm, hot and fresh. My grandfather had a house on the major road that went to Alamagordo, NM. He was out in the middle of the desert. Paid $2 an acre. Nothing but sand, cacti and tumble weeds. Had to bring his water in 50 gallon drums and pumped it up into a water tank he built. Gravity fed the water to the house. Needless to stay he made a lot of money off it as there are shopping centers and housing developments on his land right now. Well, sorry for the book........I just wanted to make a brief comment about El Paso and memories popped up. I am in Virginia now. But those of you in El Paso, all the best to you.
Our hometown of ELP is moving forward, you see a lot of people walking around downtown all the time or more than we used too! The Indigo Hotel opened and there are a couple of lofts opening up like the Sav oy on Overland and Stanton, I left Dallas and now live here again and plan to never leave again; I am happy living in my hometown for the rest of my days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso