Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 10:12 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times

Advertisements

I know Pat Haggerty personally. I have always felt he was a stand up guy. I saw an TV advertisement tonight for Dee Margo. I don't know anything about this guy.. he came off like a great guy, all the while smacking Pat around some.

What do any of you know about this Dee Margo guy? I am inclined to vote for Pat because he is my friend.. but this Margo guy looked like a stand up guy too.

My Mother and aunt said that Pat has a lot of pull in the Texas house and you need that kinda person to get stuff done for El Paso.. do you agree or do you think someone with that kinda power should be a bit feared.

Anyways, how do you think either will do to make El Paso better? And what are your feelings on either for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 10:14 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Which one would be better for getting our property taxes lowered?

Old 02-13-2008, 10:17 PM

Well according to the TV spot.. Dee claims Haggerty voted against a bill that would of protected us from higher property tax rates. I don't know what truth is in that or all the facts.. but that is what Dee claimed.

Some things claimed by Haggerty's team:
Quote:
Passed Legislation to make the Sun Bowl more viable
• Passed legislation to support construction of new schools needed to address Fort Bliss growth • Secured start-up funding
for UTEP’s Larry Durham Athletic Center, the Ft. Bliss Museum and Study Center, and the El Paso Medical School
Construction Fund • Passed legislation to secure Veterans Home for El Paso • Passed homestead exemptions for disabled
Texas Veterans • Passed legislation creating the Second Probate Court and two criminal courts in El Paso County • Passed
protections for El Paso Police Officer and Firefighter Retirement Funds • Secured funding to re-open the Wyler Aerial
Tramway and for the El Paso Border Health Institute • Helped Gov. Bush pass the two largest tax cuts in Texas history
• Helped pass the largest property tax relief bill in Texas history • Helped secure new funds to protect our border • Helped
pass landmark lawsuit abuse reform • Helped pass Jessica’s Law
To be fair, if you know of any Dee Margo facts please post them. Here is a youyube ad in his favor..

YouTube - Dee Margo works with Reyes and Samaniego

YouTube - Margo ad 1

Last edited by Muhnay; 02-13-2008 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: left out the word Property

Old 02-14-2008, 04:33 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Although sometimes i think of Haggerty as a do nothing rep for NE in the legislature he is possibly poised to become the next Speaker of the House in the Texas Legislature which would be a tremendeous boost for El Paso.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:47 AM

5 posts, read 16,584 times
Default Dee Margo Vs Pat Haggerty

Dee Margo got the political bug from hanging around with President Bush and Mrs. Bush. Margo married a woman whose father owned a big insurance company. He only recently started his public involvment. He was recruited for this race because Haggerty is one of many Republicans who want to remove Speaker Craddick from his position.

Two things must be said. First, if Margo wins the Republican nomination and then wins in the general election, we are sending a representative who is committed to support the current Speaker of the House of Representatives, who is a loser as a human being and now as a politician. This is a guy who screwed us around on the Foster Medical School. And once again, we will out of step with the rest of the state.

Second, if Margo wins in March, we most likely will see a Democrat win the district, and that is a scary prospect given the two candidates in the Demo primary.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:21 AM

421 posts, read 2,156,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bright View Post
Dee Margo got the political bug from hanging around with President Bush and Mrs. Bush. Margo married a woman whose father owned a big insurance company. He only recently started his public involvment. He was recruited for this race because Haggerty is one of many Republicans who want to remove Speaker Craddick from his position.

Two things must be said. First, if Margo wins the Republican nomination and then wins in the general election, we are sending a representative who is committed to support the current Speaker of the House of Representatives, who is a loser as a human being and now as a politician. This is a guy who screwed us around on the Foster Medical School. And once again, we will out of step with the rest of the state.

Second, if Margo wins in March, we most likely will see a Democrat win the district, and that is a scary prospect given the two candidates in the Demo primary.
Yep, anybody who stands up to craddick is the way to go in my book. Haggerty would be my pick..

Old 02-15-2008, 11:35 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Thumbs down Dee Margo

I'll be voting for Haggerty. Dee Margo is in bed with the Bush/Perry/Craddick crowd. El Pasoans should reject ANYTHING connected with this bunch, who just gave us ASARCO back, for a recent example.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,333 times
Red face Dee Margo Vs. Pat Haggerty

Alright you guys let me show you what is up. 1st off, Pat Haggerty has been in office for 20 years already, now lets see what he has done with El Paso... absolutely nothing, unfortunately . But what has Margo done? He has helped in growing and diversifying El Paso's economy as an active member of the Greater El Paso Chamber of Commerce, the El Paso Regional Economic Development Corporation, and the Paso Del Norte Group.
Dee also helped found the Border Fund, a communities partner fund with the Robert R. McCormick Tribune Foundation. Since its inception, the Border Fund has provided over $25 million in charitable grants to local volunteer groups aiding El Pasoans in immediate need of a helping hand. Working with Operation Noel, Dee Margo will help provide over 16,000 coats to needy children this year.
Also, thanks to him, thousands of troops were able to station in El Paso, therefore bringing in more money to the city.
<Moderator cut: talk about the issue, not other posters> If Margo wins the elections he will be able to reduce our property tax rate. If Margo wins he will be able to pass a bill that will completely take off our State income tax out of our checks... now i wonder what that means... Well of course, more money in our pockets which will help us boost the economy in El Paso and Texas. He will also cut state government expenditures. Reduce the cost of our health insurance. Also I wanted to make a note that Texas spends to little per student in its public schools, the state average that Texas spends per student is $10,000! That is below national average, with Margo he will work for us to see more and more money flows into the classrooms.
Also Dee Margo is totally against ASARCO, and for the environment, he is looking for ways for el Paso and Texas to have a much more cleaner environment that will bring to El Paso bigger and better business investors.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,277 times
If Margo wins the election what can he do to lower our proprty taxes? even more would he really do it or is it just a campain slogan?

Old 02-21-2008, 05:31 AM

I love the line by Pat Haggerty's mother..

I have milk older than Dee Margos time in the district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso