Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:03 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times

Advertisements

Asking which was most stunning of the three in this forum is like a woman asking her husband if her as s is fat! All men know what the right answer should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 05:56 PM

35 posts, read 81,662 times
NMSU has the nicest campus of the three universities and seems to capture the traditional campus 'feel.' UNM and UTEP seem a bit more urban which I believe is due to the number of commuters who attend those schools.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:44 PM

137 posts, read 474,720 times
I went to UTEP for one year and never got over the beautiful architecture. My husband is a UTEP grad and we talk about it all the time--UTEP is so underappreciated in Texas, not only as a very good school, but as a beautiful school. I so want one of my kids to go to UTEP and enjoy all the perks of football, basketball, and the UTEP spirit. Not all schools have the same kind of spirit and I think UTEP ranks up there with the best of them, such as Texas Tech and UT.
Back to the question, I think UTEP is a slam dunk for all three questions.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:38 AM

111 posts, read 238,169 times
Kind of like asking "which is the best fruit"?

All depends on one's preference. Each campus has its plusses and minuses.

I happen to love UTEP's architecture (I think it qualifies as 'stunning'), and the fact that UTEP has stayed with that architectural design in most all of its buildings. I love UNM's adobe architecture, but they recently have gotten away from that, and I think that detracts from the overall look. There are some nice quiet spots on the UNM campus. As several have indicated here, both UTEP and UNM are much more urban than NMSU. UTEP is especially 'traffic-centric' during classes.

NMSU doesn't have overall stunning archtecture, but they have some very attractive buildings and mostly the buildings seem to follow a "southwestern revival" type of look - some traditional, some more modern. The campus has a lot of green space, is nicely landscaped and has more of a traditional college feel.

Of the campuses I've seen in Texas (and I've seen most), my favorite is Texas State, followed by UTEP. SMU is really nice as well - very traditional. Texas A&M is the worst (well, for visual appeal).

Overall, of the 3 in this thread, I like NMSU's campus the best.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:04 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,218,834 times
Image Viewer

take that!!!!! nmsu and unm!

Old 09-02-2009, 09:05 AM

730 posts, read 1,895,773 times
Default See that

Can't wait to see that on Saturday. Strange as it may be, I actually liek watching FB games at NMSU...granted it is 20,000 seats smaller than the Sun Bowl, but I kind of like the smallness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
Image Viewer

take that!!!!! nmsu and unm!

Old 03-01-2010, 12:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,478 times
NMSU is not a better school academically than UTEP. Both universities are currently rated as Tier 4 universities. UTEP is working on it's goal to achieve Tier-One status by 2014.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:00 PM

35 posts, read 81,662 times
I would disagree. You are referring to just one ranking and even US News ranks NMSU's engineering at 62 (out of 270). NMSU has also achieved top rankings from Forbes (193 out of 600) and Washington Monthly (109 of 258). NMSU is much more of a research university with $150 million per year in externally funded research programs. State is ranked 28th in the nation (among all institutions without medical schools) by the National Science Foundation in research and development funding.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:33 AM

404 posts, read 860,638 times
By all means the most Visually Aesthetic University Award goes to UTEP; UNM and NMSU are tied for look a like twin campuses. On the score card, UTEP's Sun Bowl Stadium ranks #1, the stadium was built wedge between two rocky mountain like setting terrains with spectacular views, the seating is more than adequate with room for more expansion in the South End Zone.The Sun Bowl has a 360 degree access so you can tour the whole stadium without having to detour your route due to obstacles such as; the stadium ends here go to the parking lot to access the other side of the stadium etc.
The concession stands and restrooms are located underneath the stadium seating so one does not have to exit the stadium or be expose to the elements whether it be rain sun or snow; not to mention convenient access to Interstate 10. Oh! and did I forget to mention the Larry Durham weight room located right above the North End Zone,"SPECTACULAR" ? just rubbing it in.
I don't believe that UNM and NMSU stadiums offer or come anywhere close to this fifty year old Sun Bowl Stadium,though they do have plenty of "Port O Potty's" and open air concession stands located within the vicinity. One thing I will mention though is that both UNM and NMSU have plentiful and abundance of parking,attendance average about 50% capacity.
UNM University Stadium has an odd look to it, impressive press box and that's about all she rode.
NMSU University Stadium, the newer of all three stadiums is what the budget could afford to build, there's open air concession stands and long lines to access the port o' potty's and maybe bullets falling from the sky.
The basketball arenas, The Don Haskins, considering that it was built just like it is; when the University of Texas Board of Regents in those days considered UTEP the red headed step child of the University of Texas system, it still does!
However the arena is still modern,different era, Gone are the days of "Sold Out Games, no more tickets available" during the Coach Don Haskins Years! If today's Miner Fans wonder where all those fans have gone to? most of those fans have aged while others have passed away, those fans were from the 1966 NCAA Championship era, It's a new generation of fans now.
UNM and the infamous PITT, the arena has gone through a few renovations, at one time it use to seat 20,000 people, it has been re modify to seat 18,000 spectators and the place still holds NCAA tournaments, and that's about it.
NMSU and the Pan American Center, I was very impressed on the first and only visit to that arena during the days when NMSU was a powerhouse back in the late sixties, under coach Lou Henson and players Sam Lacey and Jimmy Collins.
I think the arena situation is a three way tie.
Campuses: without doubt it's UTEP with it's beautiful Bhutanese architecture and mountain terrain atmosphere makes you think you are up in the Himalayas of Tibet, UNM and NMSU don't even come close. Yet UNM takes the academic achievement award, but UTEP was built on solid rock, all three schools are located in the mountain standard time zone and they are rivals when it comes to sports competition. I don't know about those racial slurs posted above by some aggie person?

Old 12-25-2012, 05:25 PM

811 posts, read 2,941,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Kitty 98 View Post
By all means the most Visually Aesthetic University Award goes to UTEP; UNM and NMSU are tied for look a like twin campuses. On the score card, UTEP's Sun Bowl Stadium ranks #1, the stadium was built wedge between two rocky mountain like setting terrains with spectacular views, the seating is more than adequate with room for more expansion in the South End Zone.The Sun Bowl has a 360 degree access so you can tour the whole stadium without having to detour your route due to obstacles such as; the stadium ends here go to the parking lot to access the other side of the stadium etc.
The concession stands and restrooms are located underneath the stadium seating so one does not have to exit the stadium or be expose to the elements whether it be rain sun or snow; not to mention convenient access to Interstate 10. Oh! and did I forget to mention the Larry Durham weight room located right above the North End Zone,"SPECTACULAR" ? just rubbing it in.
I don't believe that UNM and NMSU stadiums offer or come anywhere close to this fifty year old Sun Bowl Stadium,though they do have plenty of "Port O Potty's" and open air concession stands located within the vicinity. One thing I will mention though is that both UNM and NMSU have plentiful and abundance of parking,attendance average about 50% capacity.
UNM University Stadium has an odd look to it, impressive press box and that's about all she rode.
NMSU University Stadium, the newer of all three stadiums is what the budget could afford to build, there's open air concession stands and long lines to access the port o' potty's and maybe bullets falling from the sky.
The basketball arenas, The Don Haskins, considering that it was built just like it is; when the University of Texas Board of Regents in those days considered UTEP the red headed step child of the University of Texas system, it still does!
However the arena is still modern,different era, Gone are the days of "Sold Out Games, no more tickets available" during the Coach Don Haskins Years! If today's Miner Fans wonder where all those fans have gone to? most of those fans have aged while others have passed away, those fans were from the 1966 NCAA Championship era, It's a new generation of fans now.
UNM and the infamous PITT, the arena has gone through a few renovations, at one time it use to seat 20,000 people, it has been re modify to seat 18,000 spectators and the place still holds NCAA tournaments, and that's about it.
NMSU and the Pan American Center, I was very impressed on the first and only visit to that arena during the days when NMSU was a powerhouse back in the late sixties, under coach Lou Henson and players Sam Lacey and Jimmy Collins.
I think the arena situation is a three way tie.
Campuses: without doubt it's UTEP with it's beautiful Bhutanese architecture and mountain terrain atmosphere makes you think you are up in the Himalayas of Tibet, UNM and NMSU don't even come close. Yet UNM takes the academic achievement award, but UTEP was built on solid rock, all three schools are located in the mountain standard time zone and they are rivals when it comes to sports competition. I don't know about those racial slurs posted above by some aggie person?

Biased much? Do some homework and you will discover some surprises!!

Last edited by observe; 12-25-2012 at 05:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso