Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite area of El Paso?
East side 2 8.33%
Northeast side 4 16.67%
Lower Valley 1 4.17%
Upper Valley 1 4.17%
Central / Downtown 4 16.67%
West side 11 45.83%
Horizon City (eastern suburb) 1 4.17%
Northern / NM suburbs (incl. Chaparral, Anthony, Santa Teresa, Mesilla, etc.) 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 10:13 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,770 times

Advertisements

What is your favorite area in the El Paso area?

Do two things:

1) Vote, and

2) Give your thoughts below as to why you voted the way you did!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 10:21 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,770 times
I voted for the East side. It is the area I am most familiar with in El Paso and it is the side that is "home" to me when I am in El Paso.

I really like the homes and architecture and landscaping in areas around Yarborough, Lee Trevino, Pebble Hills, etc. I like the abundance of Mexican restaurants and things to do in that area.

It is a nice, safe, good-for-families area of the city but is still much more middle-class and affordable than the West side of the city.

My runners up would be:

2. Horizon City
3. West Side

Old 02-21-2008, 11:28 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,855 times
I always liked the westside. The mesas and vistas are unmatched.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:18 PM

421 posts, read 2,156,153 times
Wonder what I voted for? I love the downtown/central area. My #2 pick would be the upper valley since that's where I grew up.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:44 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,605,495 times
the westside it's like a whole other city ,take a five mile walk down the irrigation canal starting at mulberry ending at sunland park and than go back ,and the next day take a walk starting at the country club bridge and go south towards sunland park count the wildlife on this walk laters i gotta go take my daily walk

Old 02-21-2008, 10:59 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
The upper valley because there's a little bit of green, and a little rural area but it's going fast. You can still see horses, goats, and a alfalfa field now and then, and the view of the mountains is very nice -- and the sunsets.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:54 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Well that was a tough choice between two areas as one area the NorthEast is where my Grandparents decided to retire after 30 years in the Army as they loved El Paso and choose it over many other duty stations/locations they were at stationed thru-out Gramps career. Also moving to NorthEast in the beginning of the 9th grade and going to Andress High further cemented my feeling for NorthEast. I'm very sentimental to Ft.Bliss as my Gramps always took me there as a kid to hang out with him on Post. Also the area zone from Transmountain/Fairbanks to the south and up to Sun Valley and up to Salem further North is where all my school friends lived and being on the Baseball Leagues at Veterens Park Ballfields there also in the summer months were good memories.

However after my 4 year tour in the military i lived over on the East side in the Lee Trevino and George Dieter north south areas and Pebble Hills on the north and on down to I-10 so that area is where i lived/worked as well did my Sisters and my Cousin and Friends so we all hung out there. Going to the Dallas club and Caravan East was fun and i don't remember the name as it has changed but i was a member at a HUGE modern Health Club/Gym (American Fitness?) on Viscount and also partying at Monopoly's Club on Viscount too. We always hung out at the Taco Cabana on the patio drinking Coronas and listening to Mariarchi's on Lee Treveno as there were alot of great resturaunts over there along with hanging out at Cielo Vista Mall etc...Being on the East side we were closer to Mountain Shadow Lakes in Horizon City as we used to go out there alot and have fun back then.

Very close vote but i'll pick my heart and that is NorthEast EP but both areas are great to me.

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 02-22-2008 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: Change 6/3

Old 02-26-2008, 10:29 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,525,338 times
Over the years, I've lived on the eastside, central, and now westside. There are good things about all three areas, but I find I like the westside best. It's close to the mountains and the views of the sunsets in the evenings are as good as it gets.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:22 PM

639 posts, read 1,042,946 times
I voted for the Lower Valley, even though the Lower Valley is not the same valley today,when I grew up in the Lower Valley it was very nice back in the days, it was green with vegetation, on a hot summer night driving on Interstate 10, once I would either exit the Hunter or Giles exit off the freeway headed towards North Loop rd you could feel and smell the freshness of the trees and vegetation, fresh clean oxygen being produce in the valleys own eco system and from the freeway the valley had a forrest like appeariance to it.

The valley had three high schools, Ysleta, Bel Air and Riverside even though there was alot of rivalvery seems everyone was connected at some sort we either had alot of family,freinds or enemies in these three big neighborhoods we use to call the Lower Valley people knew each other more, all the kids I went to school with my parents went to school with their parents so it was common that you could always go to the super markets and run into someone you knew.

I was born in the Lower Valley, as a kid I would grow my own vegetable garden every springtime, I raised hundreds of chickens had dozens of rabbits, turkeys, goats, sheep, pigs and cows and one donkey, cats, dogs all sorts of birds, all sorts of fruit trees you name it, even had a pet bobcat once.

Only in the Lower Valley, it was fun watching the Franklin Mountains from ten miles away, you could also see El Paso's neon sky at night in the near distant as it would get closer and closer every year till about 1975 when they built Vista del Sol then we had neon skies to our east because El Paso would end at Mc Rae at I10.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:01 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,709,092 times
Northeast beyond a doubt. It's got less traffic. Safety in terms of children being outside playing and me not worrying. etc. There were parts that weren't so nice, but that's evident in each side of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso