Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 10:53 PM

200 posts, read 607,168 times

Advertisements

I agree w/ "grad student" who relocated to Seattle. I encourage anyone who's lived in EP who "hates" EP to leave for awhile, travel the world, & in a few years time they'll be begging to come back! Obviously they've never lived anywhere else. That was my story. I lived in El Paso (w/ two years spent in Las Cruces for university & 3 mos. spent in San Antonio) for 29 years before I left for good when I met my husband who's an active duty military officer. I spent two & half years in Norfolk, VA, some time in D.C, some time spent in San Diego, & now I currently live in Southeast Asia (which reminds me in some ways of Juarez). I've been to SF, LA, NYC, Boston, Honolulu, London, Paris, Singapore, Sydney, Kuala Lumpur, & Tokyo . In the final analysis, all I can say is...I CAN"T WAIT TO GO HOME!!
Sure, there's room for improvement. I had the absolute worst time getting a job in El Paso, but I had even more trouble in Norfolk (& the pay was worse, wasn't as open-minded as EP, & you couldn't get good Mexican food). The availability & quality of some popular chains isn't always as good as in bigger more popular cities. However, El Paso has a character & coolness that simply can't be found anywhere. Give me El Paso, over snobby Dallas & Houston any day! What, w/the mountains, southwestern art, luminarias during X-mas, a symphony/orchestra that puts the LA Philharmonic to shame & is highly underrated, & food which is to die for! The problem w/El Paso is, people who've never been out of El Paso may not realize it's potential. I was one of those people, but I'm an El Paso convert! God willing, when I leave Jakarta in Sept. the 1st place I'm headed is out to "the West Texas town!"

Old 04-23-2008, 03:05 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,590,329 times
here's something to remind you of home Little Diner and don't forget charcoaler westside story class of 82 it's still there but it's the last one

Old 04-23-2008, 07:31 AM

The Charcoaler is the 1st place I hit when I come home, Chico's is the 2nd, but the Little Diner...well, it never really caught on w/me like it did my folks. The place for I like best is this place on Copia that sells these burritos. Oh, it's the food the God's! Don't know the name will have to ask my dad.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:19 AM

2,625 posts, read 11,187,897 times
i love el paso, because of beautiful nights like yesterday, i told my wife, "damn if it was up to me, i would sleep outside, it was beautiful! then again....its not up to me, its up to her, and.....jk, but yes it was beautiful last night!

Old 04-23-2008, 11:25 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,670,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anelizk View Post
What, w/the mountains, southwestern art, luminarias during X-mas, a symphony/orchestra that puts the LA Philharmonic to shame & is highly underrated, & food which is to die for! The problem w/El Paso is, people who've never been out of El Paso may not realize it's potential. I was one of those people, but I'm an El Paso convert!
Very nice post anelizk and very well stated - thanks so much for sharing!!

I hope you'll continue to post here - would love to hear more of your thoughts! Good luck at getting back home eventually!

Old 04-23-2008, 08:02 PM

Thanks EnjoyEP! Having found this website/forum is helping me get over my homesickness! There was a possibility of us getting stationed in El Paso for a certain job that my husband qualified for at Ft. Bliss as a Naval aviator, however, it was determined that the position would not be vacant until 2010 so the closest we could get was Albuquerque, which to me is more like Cruces than EP, but far better than where I was. Nevertheless, looking forward to being back in the Southwest!

Old 04-24-2008, 11:40 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,670,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anelizk View Post
Thanks EnjoyEP! Having found this website/forum is helping me get over my homesickness! There was a possibility of us getting stationed in El Paso for a certain job that my husband qualified for at Ft. Bliss as a Naval aviator, however, it was determined that the position would not be vacant until 2010 so the closest we could get was Albuquerque, which to me is more like Cruces than EP, but far better than where I was. Nevertheless, looking forward to being back in the Southwest!
Well good luck to you anelizk! I am glad you found here and love reading your posts!

Actually, I just spent 4+ years living in Albuquerque (2003 - July 07) and really loved the city quite a bit. Certainly it has its pros and cons to El Paso but in some ways is very similar (but as you say in some ways is also very different).

I am currently working on either relocating back to Albuquerque or to El Paso (henceforth by screen name!) so have never been a "local" to EP, however, I have family in EP and really got to know the city well visiting numerous times while in Albuquerque and really grew to love the Sun City quite a bit.

Anyway, good luck to you and I hope we keep seeing you posting here!

Old 04-25-2008, 03:19 AM

Thanks again for the kind words & well-wishes. Same to you! I noticed your location is Milwaukee. Have never been to Milwaukee, but adore Madison, have good friends that reside there. Just out of curiosity, what are your favorite parts of EP? What sides of the town do you enjoy most? My top 4 favorites are: Kern Place (where I was 1st brought home from the hospital), Central (Basset, Loretto Academy area where I went to school), Eastside (Cielo Vista/ Burgess H.S. Eastwood areas, spent the 1st 5 years of my life going there b/c my grandparents lived on the Eastside until 1980), (and last but not least), Westside where I actually lived & parents still live. Good luck also on making your way back soon!

Old 10-22-2008, 10:57 PM

71 posts, read 200,587 times
Lightbulb I luv eptx!!!!

Great post...wish more would put their time and energy into this one. It doesn't surprise me though. I have found in my opinion that most people whom view everything with the "glass half empty" vision tend to spend their time and energy projecting that kind of energy into the world.

I was born and raised here. Like most of us, we can not wait to get out! At first chance I got up and left after high school and went off to college, away from here. It took me seven years to get my B & MS then I had an opportunity to move "back home." My husband wasn't from here and was hesitant. We had a baby and knew we wanted to have more kids, so our first initial reason for moving back to EP was so that my parents, family can be apart of their raising.

Boy am I glad we are back home. We are HOME. The people are great, friendly, and for the most part welcoming! I love love love the weather with the exeception of the occassional yucky dust storm, but lets be honest how many do we really have a year! Three? Four? Who cares!!!! I would take that over crazy Tornado seasons, Hurricane etc! The families here are loyal, we dont just mean blood relatives either. I really remember how much PRIDE we had at YHS!!!! INDIANS are all over this country it is really neat to grow up an Indian (YHS Indian not Native American, although we do have that here too). So what there are a lot of Mexicans, who cares! We love, we are passionate, we are giving, we have lots of great traits! My husband loves him some Mexican! LOL

I am educated but because of the living cost her in EP I am able to a full time SAHM!!! How lucky am I. In a world, in a time when that is not the norm, when that is hard to do, when most need dual incomes just to make ends meet. And I dont care what anyone says there are plenty jobs, plenty opportunties! I do though give all the Glory to God, he is why we are so Blessed! Which brings me to how many awesome churches we have here! I love my Church!!! Come all!! ALFC.

I guess I could go on and on....so yeah Education lacks in school districts so don't depend on just the schools to educate your children, home school if you dont like it! So take initiative! Be proactive. Do something about it! Do something about it if you dont like it. Go meet great people surround yourself with great things! Reading some of the posts on other threads can really depress you, make you feel like it couldn't be worse than EP. UGH!!! Get over it, make something of your situation, find the good in everything!

THE GLASS IS HALF FULL PEOPLE.

~PTL~

Old 10-22-2008, 11:56 PM

271 posts, read 806,192 times
Default It's the people

I'm not a native I came here in the 80's and stayed ten years. After living from coast to coast I came back last year. El Paso has issues just like a lot of other places and sure there's things I'd like to see change but if you step back and really look at what this place has to offer you'll see it ranks right up there with anywhere that's supposed to be a good place to live. How many places have any of you lived where you come home from work and your neighbors who you really don't know because you just moved in are having a big celebration of some type and you're thinking great now I have to listen to that crap all night and before you get to your front door the neighbors have grabbed you and made you come eat,meet their family and friends,made you feel like you've known everyone forever, and totally convinced you that going home and hiding is out of the question. That my friends is the heart and soul of El Paso. If you will let it this town will become home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso