Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:49 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,832,173 times

Advertisements

Right now, people in El Paso who want to attend four-year colleges can basically either apply to UTEP or leave town. Sometimes I've wondered if the Texas A&M University system would, at some future date, open another university in El Paso. Or the Texas State University system, of which Sul Ross State is a part.

Could that happen? What obstacles might stand in the way of something like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 10:09 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,714,750 times
Very few cities (if any...maybe LA with UCLA / USC?) have more than one major state university in them. Albuquerque has UNM, Tucson has Arizona, Phoenix has ASU, etc. Typically state universities wouldn't set up shop in multiples in cities and thus compete with each other.

Thus, I would say the odds in El Paso would be very slim. Instead, it would be nice if a major PRIVATE 4-year university became an option well into the future (sort of like Marquette University in Milwaukee).

Old 03-26-2008, 11:04 PM

808 posts, read 3,648,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Very few cities (if any...maybe LA with UCLA / USC?) have more than one major state university in them. Albuquerque has UNM, Tucson has Arizona, Phoenix has ASU, etc. Typically state universities wouldn't set up shop in multiples in cities and thus compete with each other.

Thus, I would say the odds in El Paso would be very slim. Instead, it would be nice if a major PRIVATE 4-year university became an option well into the future (sort of like Marquette University in Milwaukee).
USC is private...LA's major state university is UCLA and they have several smaller universities in the area as well (Cal State Fullerton, Long Beach State, etc.)

Texas A&M just opened a campus in San Antonio where UT has had UTSA for a long time...UTSA is not quite as major of a university as UTEP is, but San Antonio is a larger city than El Paso and is not as isolated (I am not including Juarez in the city size of El Paso...I realize many people from Juarez attend UTEP but they are not in-state students. In order to justify building another state university, there would have to be a need to better serve in-state students.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post

It seems to me that the wall between church and state in Mexico is very high; as far as I know, there are no church-run colleges in Mexico--but El Paso, which is in the US, home to a huge swarm of faith-based colleges, is right on the Mexican border. So I kind of wonder why the Roman Catholic Church or some other church didn't set up a college in El Paso catering to Mexican students.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:59 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,714,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
USC is private...LA's major state university is UCLA
Ah, thanks for the correction awecelot.

Yeah, I guess that just furthers where I am coming from. Sure, there are kind of "satellite" campuses set up in some cities (I know Albuquerque has some NMSU presence in Albuquerque even though NMSU is really based in Las Cruces), but I guess I was thinking more in terms of where the actual, large, university base / campus is set up. Typically that is just one per city.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:09 AM

EnjoyEP - exactly. The only areas I can think of (off the top of my head) where there are more than one large state university are the following:

Raleigh/Durham (UNC-Chapel Hill and NC State)
Atlanta (Georgia Tech and Georgia State)

Old 03-27-2008, 10:49 AM

507 posts, read 2,061,843 times
The most likely scenario would be a minor branch campus of one of the TX state college systems (TX State, TAMU, and or Tech). But, given EP's relative isolation from the rest of the state, I wonder how much a university and the state would want to invest given UTEP's long presence in EP. And it seems like UTEP accomplishes quite a bit for the population base it serves. Quite frankly, I don't see the need, and with the expansion TX Tech Med School to EP, that, in itself, fills any perceived void. I would say that a law school is in EP's long term future - maybe 15 -20 years out.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by br7or13 View Post
The most likely scenario would be a minor branch campus of one of the TX state college systems (TX State, TAMU, and or Tech). But, given EP's relative isolation from the rest of the state, I wonder how much a university and the state would want to invest given UTEP's long presence in EP. And it seems like UTEP accomplishes quite a bit for the population base it serves. Quite frankly, I don't see the need, and with the expansion TX Tech Med School to EP, that, in itself, fills any perceived void.
Isn't the Paul L. Foster School of Medicine a medical school only?

Maybe if Sul Ross gets enough people enrolled in distance learning classes from El Paso, they'll set up a satellite campus there, run from Alpine. Other state universities in Texas have that setup. But if San Antonio, which is twice El Paso's size, is only now getting a TAMU campus on top of its University of Texas campus, then El Paso would have to grow a lot more to get a full-fledged branch campus from one of the other state university systems.

Quote:
I would say that a law school is in EP's long term future - maybe 15 -20 years out.
Maybe. I heard Diana Natalicio was trying to get one at UTEP, years ago, but I haven't heard anything about it since.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:27 PM

Just FYI, here is some info on the new Texas A&M - San Antonio:
Texas A&M University–San Antonio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-28-2008, 01:26 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
Nashville has 2 universitys- Vanderbilt and Tennessee State,Im not sure if one of them is private though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso