Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 08:57 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,738 times

Advertisements

Hey yall,

I currently thinking about moving to El Paso, and will definitely visit as soon as possible. I wanted to ask two questions which I couldn´t really find answers to after searching:

1.) Clearly, El Paso is overwhelmingly Mexican-American, no problem there. I´ve been to many places in the heart of Mexico, and loved it. I am an "Anglo" (Is that what they call gringos in EP also? I know that´s the normal term in a place like South Texas), but for most all intents and purposes I´m bilingual. I lived in Puerto Rico for 2 years and I´ve lived in Colombia for over 6 years now. My question is...does there exist a degree of diversity in the Hispanic community? I would imagine that many Mexican Nationals have immigrated over the years, especially with all the problems in states like Chihuahua. Surely Fort Bliss has brought other ethnic groups to the city as well...for example on Google Maps I found something like 3 or 4 Puerto Rican restaurants in El Paso, wow! My wife is Colombian and has never lived in the US, so starting off in a bilingual community would be a nice transition. We don´t have to surround ourselves with Colombians or anything, just so long as there is a general Latin American community to fall back on, we´re good. I assume that a city as big as EP has such diversity; even if we´re not talking about large numbers of people, it´s variety nonetheless.

2.) I know the reputation that Ciudad Juárez has earned for itself in the past. I was wondering though if visiting Juárez in a controlled, cautious way is possible. The cheapest way for us to fly back to Colombia and visit would be to cross the border and take a taxi to the airport, then it´s Aeromexico all the way through the capital and on to either Bogotá or Medellín. I know that medications and dental care can be found much cheaper across the border, and there are various dentists and farmacias near the bridge. Is it reasonable to say that running errands like those, or possibly going to a few bars/restaurants/Plazas del Mercado right there near the brige would be safe? This would of course involve crossing relatively early in the day and returning well before dark.

We haven´t visited either, but we´re really researching El Paso and the RGV. I think El Paso wins hands down on diversity and climate, but we need to visit both and take it all in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 08:47 AM

344 posts, read 416,878 times
I’m a gringo approaching 60. Until last year I spent the first 2 1/2 years of an early retirement in El Paso on the west side. When my current lease is up in 7 weeks I am planning to return. Many many times in my daily activities if I stop to notice I would be the only white person in a shop or line or some other thing. I heard Spanish spoken around me all the time but speaking Spanish is not required or necessary but you will find no shortage of people to speak with in Spanish. And weirdly you won’t feel out of place or even notice your minority status. As far as diversity goes within the Spanish speaking community most seem to be of Mexican origins. But people from all over the world have moved there. My doctor was Iranian and my foot massage shop was owned by recent Chinese immigrants.

The same upper mid 20s Hispanic woman cut my hair for the whole time I was there. She is an El Paso native and in her entire life (early 90s to 2018) she has only been to Juarez once because she believes it to be too dangerous. I never met any one who walked over to buy pharmaceuticals and even considered it myself. When I tried to assess the danger of doing so in the day I found some anecdotal evidence that there were muggings of day trippers but there is never anything reported in the English news so no hard data on that. I thought about using a Juarez dentist for a cleaning and I looked at a few places on the internet including one a neighbor heard was good and I was unimpressed with pictures of the place and I ultimately paid cash out of pocket for service in US.

The heat in El Paso is more like Phoenix and Vegas whereas the Rio Grande Valley is hot and humid like Houston or Orlando but the El Paso temps are on average 10 degrees cooler than Vegas or Phoenix and the summers are not so bad but the rest of the year is absolutely beautiful.

You don’t mention why you are considering the two areas so I will throw two negatives for you to consider. Unless you have some unique skills or are highly educated you will have difficulty finding well paid work and if owning a home is in your plans Texas has really high real estate taxes ( you have to make sure if the lack of a state income tax is a good trade off for the high real estate taxes, since I don’t work renting is right for me and you won’t believe how cheap apartments are in both areas compared to rest of US ( but that is a reflection of the cost of living and local salaries)

I have considered both areas extensively. For me El Paso was the best choice. Both (but El Paso more so) are safe areas. The biggest danger in El Paso seems to be Interstate 10 which goes straight through town and is also used by commuters. (Most people when assessing a place for physical safety worry about crime but (traffic) accidents are usually the biggest likely risk).

For cost of living both areas represent tremendous value (IF you can find a decent job or have a pension). I wish you the best wherever you end up. I don’t see how you can make a big mistake either way. Both are wonderful places that are each dramatically different than what you would experience in a more middle America type area. Please come back after you have moved and settled and give us your assessment. Good luck!

PS. If you need to work I suggest you also consider San Antonio. I frequently teeter on the edge of preferring San Antonio over El Paso but only if I was going to return to work. San Antonio is a proper big city with diverse work opportunities but also some of the negatives associated with big cities (crime against strangers and crazy traffic). But San Antonio, in my mind, would be the closest big city to an El Paso type demographic and cost of living and not nearly as soul crushing as Texas’s 3 major cities).

Last edited by Llep; 03-03-2019 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: More info

Old 03-03-2019, 09:43 AM

Hey, thanks so much, that was really informative.

To give a little more background information, we´re still relatively young...I´m 33 and my wife is 26. We´re both teachers, and I´m in the process of getting certified in Texas soon. It´s almost sad how much better Texas pays than its neighbors...I´m actually Cajun and have most of my family in New Orleans and the Lafayette area, but salary/benefits and cost of living for Texas vs. Louisiana is a no-brainer. New Mexico is beautiful and unique, but pay there is garbage for educators also. We need to pay for an evaluation to see if my wife´s Colombian university studies will be recognized as a Bachelors degree (which you´d think they would be, 4.5 years of study) or just an Associates. Either way, there is work for her in preschool. There are plenty of ISDs and even some charters in Texas, so no problems there...it´s just a matter of being in the right place and the right time I guess.

Yeah, San Antonio is being considered somewhat as well. I have cousins in Austin and Houston so that would put me a little closer to them.

On here you tend to hear more transplants talk about how they never felt at home in the RGV, but that El Paso was a lot easier to settle into. But everyone´s experience is different I suppose...

Old 03-03-2019, 10:22 AM

344 posts, read 416,878 times
Well it does sound like you are on the right track. You are on a limited duration mission and I would place safety and convenience over all. El Paso is a proper small city and it isn’t too difficult to get around. RGV seems to be a gigantic area of small towns cobbled together but probably lots of interesting places. As long as you will be occupied with the mission (and not trying to occupy a lot of spare time like a retiree) either should be suitable. But don’t discount boredom. If either of you is likely to have a lot of spare time to kill a proper city like El Paso or San Antonio might offer more options.

Old 03-05-2019, 02:54 PM

89 posts, read 107,322 times
I retired here in May 2018 and love it. I am Gringo and quite frankly there is not a lot of gringos here. All the friends I have made here in EP so far are hispanic and all places of business speak espanol. In fact most of the conversations you overhear are espanol.

Yes, meds are much cheaper in Juarez. If you don't have insurance the only sensible medical care and meds is to get it in Juarez. My girlfriend lives in Juarez and I'm there at least a few times a week. If you aren't involved in drugs and crime there is no reason for you to have a problem unless you create one. This is not the Juarez it was in 2008 when the crime violence and turf wars were raging. However it a huge corridor for trafficking and probably always will be. But El Paso and US Fed authorities are extremely vigilant and successful at preventing a lot of it from crossing here. Random issues can happen anywhere in this world. I find except when my girlfriend is driving me getting around in Juarez is easiest by Uber, and cheap. I don't drive my car there.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:34 PM

14 posts, read 27,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Hey yall,

I currently thinking about moving to El Paso, and will definitely visit as soon as possible. I wanted to ask two questions which I couldn´t really find answers to after searching:

1.) Clearly, El Paso is overwhelmingly Mexican-American, no problem there. I´ve been to many places in the heart of Mexico, and loved it. I am an "Anglo" (Is that what they call gringos in EP also? I know that´s the normal term in a place like South Texas), but for most all intents and purposes I´m bilingual. I lived in Puerto Rico for 2 years and I´ve lived in Colombia for over 6 years now. My question is...does there exist a degree of diversity in the Hispanic community? I would imagine that many Mexican Nationals have immigrated over the years, especially with all the problems in states like Chihuahua. Surely Fort Bliss has brought other ethnic groups to the city as well...for example on Google Maps I found something like 3 or 4 Puerto Rican restaurants in El Paso, wow! My wife is Colombian and has never lived in the US, so starting off in a bilingual community would be a nice transition. We don´t have to surround ourselves with Colombians or anything, just so long as there is a general Latin American community to fall back on, we´re good. I assume that a city as big as EP has such diversity; even if we´re not talking about large numbers of people, it´s variety nonetheless.

2.) I know the reputation that Ciudad Juárez has earned for itself in the past. I was wondering though if visiting Juárez in a controlled, cautious way is possible. The cheapest way for us to fly back to Colombia and visit would be to cross the border and take a taxi to the airport, then it´s Aeromexico all the way through the capital and on to either Bogotá or Medellín. I know that medications and dental care can be found much cheaper across the border, and there are various dentists and farmacias near the bridge. Is it reasonable to say that running errands like those, or possibly going to a few bars/restaurants/Plazas del Mercado right there near the brige would be safe? This would of course involve crossing relatively early in the day and returning well before dark.

We haven´t visited either, but we´re really researching El Paso and the RGV. I think El Paso wins hands down on diversity and climate, but we need to visit both and take it all in.
My money is on EP. having grown up there, and working as an adult, I still consider it to be my home town.

full disclosure: I moved away in 1986, and have only visited since.

Being a "native speaker" is a plus, but if you lived in both Colombia, and Puerto Rico you know there will still be a learning curve. I have been away 30 years, and the mexican immigrants tell me that I still speak with a Juarez accent.

If you want the El Paso experience, without the hassle, consider some of the smaller towns along the river.

Fabins, Socorro, Tornillo or Ft Hancock. Close to EP, and always needing teachers. Ft Hancock has the additional benefit of being in Hudspeth County. (Much lower property taxes. 45 miles from downtown El Paso.

Don't let the distance from EP scare you off, out here, driving 100 miles to have lunch is not unheard of.

No need to mess with Juarez, if you don't want to. Casita, across from Fabens will have all you could want, or need.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painless View Post
My money is on EP. having grown up there, and working as an adult, I still consider it to be my home town.

full disclosure: I moved away in 1986, and have only visited since.

Being a "native speaker" is a plus, but if you lived in both Colombia, and Puerto Rico you know there will still be a learning curve. I have been away 30 years, and the mexican immigrants tell me that I still speak with a Juarez accent.

If you want the El Paso experience, without the hassle, consider some of the smaller towns along the river.

Fabins, Socorro, Tornillo or Ft Hancock. Close to EP, and always needing teachers. Ft Hancock has the additional benefit of being in Hudspeth County. (Much lower property taxes. 45 miles from downtown El Paso.

Don't let the distance from EP scare you off, out here, driving 100 miles to have lunch is not unheard of.

No need to mess with Juarez, if you don't want to. Casita, across from Fabens will have all you could want, or need.
Thanks for all the tips, I appreciate it. What can you tell me about the areas north of El Paso on the way to NM? Places like Anthony come to mind, they all have their own ISDs.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:34 AM

125 posts, read 191,270 times
Gadsden ISD in New Mexico is most certainly a viable option. There are three high schools--Gadsden, Santa Teresa, and Chaparral--each with their own feeder system of elementary and middle schools. They are all in need of teachers in certain subject areas and at various grade levels. New Mexico teachers are (finally) getting a pay raise, but the salary schedule lags behind the Texas school districts.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:47 AM

154 posts, read 346,446 times
I'll throw in my endorsement to base yourselves in El Paso, even if one or both of you choose to teach in a smaller community outside the city. Unless the two of you are VERY quiet homebodies, El Paso is the place to be for music, museums, parks, dining, meeting other people, etc.

I lived in El Paso for one year recently, and visited for a couple of months earlier this year. I had no hesitation in walking over to Juarez during the day. If Juarez gives you pause, you can check out Puerto Palomas (across from Columbus, NM) for dental/prescription runs, if that's of interest to you.

I also suggest looking at meetup.com for the El Paso area so you can see what kinds of groups are around that might attract your interest.

El Paso is a family-friendly city.

I encourage you to check out neighborhoods other than the knee-jerk recommendations to go to the west side. While El Paso's west side definitely has some features to commend it, it's also generica territory, with little sense of place. There are delightful neighborhoods in more central El Paso, with diverse and charming architecture, breath-taking views, and more individually-owned businesses.

The east side also has its benefits - proximity to some good music venues and McKittrick Canyon (hiking + music). It's also closer to green and refreshing Cloudcroft and Ruidoso.

Overall, El Paso has intellectual, creative, and activist energies that are palpable.

I love El Paso - it is especially nice, I think, for couples. Not as easy for singles. ;-)

Old 07-10-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzurie View Post
I'll throw in my endorsement to base yourselves in El Paso, even if one or both of you choose to teach in a smaller community outside the city. Unless the two of you are VERY quiet homebodies, El Paso is the place to be for music, museums, parks, dining, meeting other people, etc.

I lived in El Paso for one year recently, and visited for a couple of months earlier this year. I had no hesitation in walking over to Juarez during the day. If Juarez gives you pause, you can check out Puerto Palomas (across from Columbus, NM) for dental/prescription runs, if that's of interest to you.

I also suggest looking at meetup.com for the El Paso area so you can see what kinds of groups are around that might attract your interest.

El Paso is a family-friendly city.

I encourage you to check out neighborhoods other than the knee-jerk recommendations to go to the west side. While El Paso's west side definitely has some features to commend it, it's also generica territory, with little sense of place. There are delightful neighborhoods in more central El Paso, with diverse and charming architecture, breath-taking views, and more individually-owned businesses.

The east side also has its benefits - proximity to some good music venues and McKittrick Canyon (hiking + music). It's also closer to green and refreshing Cloudcroft and Ruidoso.

Overall, El Paso has intellectual, creative, and activist energies that are palpable.

I love El Paso - it is especially nice, I think, for couples. Not as easy for singles. ;-)
I really appreciate all this detailed advice. With what little I can do with Google Maps and forums, I am finding that the east side looks more and more appealing...I wouldn't mind living closer to downtown, but the public schools there aren't as good as other areas, with the exception of the area around UTEP, but property there is $$$...

What do you know about the Northeast? It seems to get a bad rap by some but not by others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso