U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2020, 09:52 PM

122 posts, read 151,884 times

Advertisements

I'm the guy to whom you're responding met innumerable "unfriendly" people in Tucson, too (a place where I have found most people to be reasonably friendly). LOL
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 10:24 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,342,328 times
Considering the place friendly or not might depend on how you perceive the Mexican-American culture, and vice versa.

Old 07-19-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Considering the place friendly or not might depend on how you perceive the Mexican-American culture, and vice versa.
Exactly, if someone does not appreciate the culture(s), they will not be happy in either El Paso or Tucson. Both could be considered almost polar opposites of the Dallas/FW Metroplex.

Old 07-27-2020, 02:28 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,407,910 times
What is the pace of life in El Paso like?

A little bit about me

Have lived in Hong Kong, NYC and now Seattle. I want to live somewhere smaller after Seattle which is becoming way too hectic for me.

I am going down there in late November to see if its the place to move to. I probably will check out the East side of EP more than the West because of affordable housing.

Old 08-30-2020, 09:45 PM

2,030 posts, read 2,258,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The Good, Bad and Ugly about El Paso

The good: a) nonexistent winter; blues skies and 50-60 degrees in January. b) best Tex-Mex food anywhere. c) low crime, friendly population. d) outrageously gorgeous sunrises/sunsets e) UTEP and community college offer many and varied options for higher ed.

The bad: a) low pay in many occupations. b) blistering summer heat, but low humidity and high elevation make it semi-tolerable. Stay in the shade and it's not too bad. c) never-ending road construction making cross-town commutes difficult

The ugly: springtime wind/dust storms

Sunset example
Very high property taxes
Very high water bills
Very homogeneous: mostly only chain stores, chain restaurants. Neighborhoods, housing all pretty much look the same. Much of the housing stock is built poorly. Neighborhoods built in record time, shoddy workmanship. El Paso all looks alike. And, yes, it does snow in EP, when it does it’s very dangerous, because the city doesn’t treat the roads, and people don’t know how to drive in it.

Last edited by 9162; 08-30-2020 at 09:53 PM..

Old 08-31-2020, 08:05 PM

18 posts, read 11,530 times
I love this forum, it helped to dispel assumptions concerning the city. It snows sometimes doesn't it? I am a retiree born in Texas but raised on West Coast, need to relocate to a retiree friendly location with mountains. Little taxes! Besides proud of BETO and its his home! Forum contributors, tell me if I am all wet.

By the way, I love the beauty of Albuquerque but it has high crime, tax unfriendly...love the climate though and those fabulous sunsets as well.

Old 08-31-2020, 08:16 PM

70 posts, read 53,361 times
Yea it snows. Maybe a dusting one day a year OR nothing all year. It's even rare that a puddle will freeze.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:41 AM

Fall and winter are my favorite seasons here. On the other hand, spring as a season with its wind and dust--not so much.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:10 AM

18 posts, read 11,530 times
Default Love Viewpoints concerning El Paso

Thanks for your inputs guys but it seems to me we Americans need to turn our attention to the changes within our once certain society referencing latest national events.

We have turned our attention away from God and prayer....now we can clearly see the degradation of our beloved USA as it relates to global changes...
west coast fires, loss of life, loss of homes, etc
immigration based hatred increasing at alarming rates, we can not as a nation be blessed in the light of those actions. Agreed we need to focus on inappropriate entry into this USA to preserve resources for everyone, but with compassion and saneness of actions!
poor people/racial inequality has always been an underlying structure in America...it is the South African version of Apartheid. It must be dismantled again to gain any long lasting peace...remember it could be you next month because of any silly reason to hate...that is a pity because people are who they are, end of discussion. Science is not going to solve this equation, it can not even answer basic questions...look toward the Heavens for answers!

Loss of income/resources....America is not the great nation it use to be, left at man's discretion and greed, we are evolving into a jealous, hate mongering, selfish, weak society. Who is to blame?
All of us of course...we can change our direction quickly by looking at some really old fashion morals and beliefs...
It unjustified to lie, steal, kill, and hold yourself greater than your neighbor! I love this country and hope it changes course before it is too late to salvage all that we have held dear these many decades when we were great! No one is greater than the next....

Until we take care of the above realities, we don't have a future here in El Paso or anywhere else!

Old 09-17-2020, 12:19 PM

727 posts, read 1,718,844 times
Default Huh?

Are you trolling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso