Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 08:32 PM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 574,218 times

Advertisements

Wouldn't it be awesome if El Paso had a small liberal arts college? One that would attract a variety of "creative" students from all over the country, and of course El Paso. There are plenty of these types of colleges in my home state of Pennsylvania. Albright College
Allegheny College
Bryn Athyn College
Bryn Mawr College
Bucknell University
Carlow University
Cedar Crest College
Chatham University
Chestnut Hill College
Dickinson College
Elizabethtown College
Franklin & Marshall College
Gannon University
Geneva College
Gettysburg College
Grove City College
Gwynedd-Mercy College
Haverford College
Immaculata University
Juniata College
Keystone College
King's College
La Salle University
Lafayette College
Lebanon Valley College
Lycoming College
Mansfield University of Pennsylvania
Mercyhurst University
Messiah College
Misericordia University
Moravian College
Muhlenberg College
Point Park University
Rosemont College
Saint Vincent College
Susquehanna University
Swarthmore College
Thiel College
University of Scranton
Ursinus College
Washington & Jefferson College
Waynesburg University
Westminster College
Wilson College
York College of Pennsylvania

I think it would be a great alternative to the traditional type of educational experience that one can find at a larger university like UTEP. Nothing against UTEP, I graduated from a large university myself(University of Pittsburgh). El Paso is such a large city, and I think that there is a higher education gap in-between the trade schools like Western Tech and UTEP. Are there any college degree granting institutions based in El Paso, other than UTEP and El Paso Community College? Of course it's not easy to start a small college; does anyone even know how most small liberal arts colleges are founded? Again, my main point is I think El Paso would benefit greatly from a higher education alternative to UTEP, EPCC, and the trade schools. I definitely think El Paso is large enough to accommodate a small liberal arts college, and the "alternative", "non-traditional" students would add a little bit more diversity to the community. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 07:34 AM

202 posts, read 433,963 times
Colleges don’t just pop up over night. I don’t think there’s any possibility of a small liberal arts college popping up in El Paso. Would have to be a branch of an already super successful college that wants to come here for some reason.

If you went to Pitt and not any of those other schools, why do you care about these small schools and having one here in El Paso? Especially if you have no first hand experience with them?

Old 11-20-2018, 11:30 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,138,149 times
It’s not a liberal arts college but Strayer is entering the El Paso market.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:37 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
It’s not a liberal arts college but Strayer is entering the El Paso market.
Strayer is primarily an online university that is renting office space downtown.
I wouldn't waste any money on them
Associate degrees are are 3.5 years and Bachelors are 6 years with very low graduation rates.

https://www.strayer.edu/academic-program-disclosure
https://www.strayer.edu/academic-pro...isclosure/aaba

Strayer University
Associate's degree in Arts in Business Administration
Program Length: 42 months

Students graduating on time
6% of Title IV students complete the program within 42 months

Program Costs*
$29,950 for tuition and fees
$3,000 for books and supplies

Students Borrowing Money
The typical graduate leaves with
$32,473 in debt

Old 11-21-2018, 01:56 PM

202 posts, read 433,963 times
Strayer is geared towards working, older adults. Most who would take 1 course at a time because of other adulting. So their numbers will look worse when comparing to UTEP, NMSU, UCLA, or Bucknell

Old 11-23-2018, 05:41 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,083,948 times
Them opening up in the El Paso market tells me one thing: they're going after the tuition assistance and GI Bill money coming from Ft. Bliss. They'll probably try to sell it to Soldiers with lines such as: some of your military training will count towards credits so it won't take you 42 months to finish...

I am very protective of my GI Bill and I was also very protective of my Soldiers' GI Bill as I was not going to let them be taken advantage of. It took a lot of sacrifice to earn the GI Bill and one should never let it go easily.

I currently use mine for graduate school at a private university. I will have taken advantage of it to more than $80k by the time I'm done when factoring in Yellow Ribbon.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:12 PM

730 posts, read 1,896,004 times
Sort of surprised there was not at least a small Catholic college when I came here.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:03 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Them opening up in the El Paso market tells me one thing: they're going after the tuition assistance and GI Bill money coming from Ft. Bliss. They'll probably try to sell it to Soldiers with lines such as: some of your military training will count towards credits so it won't take you 42 months to finish...

I am very protective of my GI Bill and I was also very protective of my Soldiers' GI Bill as I was not going to let them be taken advantage of. It took a lot of sacrifice to earn the GI Bill and one should never let it go easily.

I currently use mine for graduate school at a private university. I will have taken advantage of it to more than $80k by the time I'm done when factoring in Yellow Ribbon.
No wonder there are so many ads for Grand Canyon University, U of Phoenix, and others all over the airwaves that emphasize their veteran programs. Predatory businesses going after taxpayer-funded (and vet-earned) programs. Kudos for steering your guys away from these overpriced rackets that leave people with subpar skills and low employment opportunity.

Nothing against online and distance learning, but most universities have these types of programs nowadays, and are much better bang for your buck.

I hope we see some regulation of the college loan market coming down the pipeline with the (presumably) next Democrat administration.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:52 PM

19 posts, read 22,816 times
The online 'universities' are nothing more than diploma mills. UTEP has programs that are geared for the military and is a REAL university. Don't waste your money on diploma mills.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:33 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,861,321 times
ASU advertises on radio and certainly it is NOT a diploma mill. There are other universities that offer online degrees. You can't get every degree online but I think for those that don't want to fight the hassle of UTEP parking and schedules, there are other options that are legitimate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso