Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 12:10 AM

5 posts, read 11,853 times

Advertisements

I am tired of living in California, the cost of living here, and the increasing rent payments, it has become unbearable for me. So I am looking to relocate, and I've been looking into El Paso, Texas. However, I am concerned about hurricanes, tornadoes, flash floods, regular flooding, and the crime rate. I have been on Google for the last 3 hours trying to find more information and I can't get a straight answer. Some websites say El Paso, TX it's pretty safe, and other websites say it floods often, and it has tornadoes. I would love to know which are the safest areas (I'm a single mom of two small children). Northeast? Northwest? Lower Valley? I am not familiar with the areas there, I am just looking for a home online (Trulia, Redfin, and Realtor) and those are some of the areas mentioned. I guess any information would be very helpful in regards to my concern (mentioned above) from anyone familiar with El Paso. Thank you so much for any help you can give me!

In a few words, can someone please share with me which are the safest neighborhoods? Thanks!

Last edited by YuyuRomero; 11-23-2019 at 01:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2019, 07:40 AM

23,690 posts, read 9,241,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuyuRomero View Post
I am tired of living in California, the cost of living here, and the increasing rent payments, it has become unbearable for me. So I am looking to relocate, and I've been looking into El Paso, Texas. However, I am concerned about hurricanes, tornadoes, flash floods, regular flooding, and the crime rate. I have been on Google for the last 3 hours trying to find more information and I can't get a straight answer. Some websites say El Paso, TX it's pretty safe, and other websites say it floods often, and it has tornadoes. I would love to know which are the safest areas (I'm a single mom of two small children). Northeast? Northwest? Lower Valley? I am not familiar with the areas there, I am just looking for a home online (Trulia, Redfin, and Realtor) and those are some of the areas mentioned. I guess any information would be very helpful in regards to my concern (mentioned above) from anyone familiar with El Paso. Thank you so much for any help you can give me!

In a few words, can someone please share with me which are the safest neighborhoods? Thanks!
El Paso is in the desert and a very long way away from the coast so i doubt you will have hurricane trouble.

Old 11-23-2019, 09:06 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,999,692 times
Most people would steer you to the West Side, as its quality of life is considered the best. Most of El Paso is pretty safe, but you´ll find more poverty in the Lower Valley. There are flash floods, but they´re not a huge deal...it´s just a summer monsoon season thing. Tornadoes, hurricanes and earthquakes are a non-issue. Spring dust storms can be tough to adapt to.

Old 11-23-2019, 09:35 AM

7,250 posts, read 4,555,932 times
I've posted a map of Hurricane tracks within 200miles of El Paso. That far inland would just be rain/flood threat and not very often at that. You can research the storm name/years on the left to see what effect they had on the area, if any, and what the city has done since then to prevent issues in the future.

https://twitter.com/WeatherSources/s...63242319159302

Old 11-23-2019, 09:45 AM

68 posts, read 43,755 times
I hope it's OK to tag along to this thread, but I too am planning a move to Texas in retirement in the relative near future. I also have been concerned about crime given the proximity to Cuidad Juarez, as I've understood it to be high-crime. Am I missing something? EP looks to be walking distance from CJ.

I've been looking at Hill Country since I would like rolling terrain, and I understand EP is flat, however, you have a view of mountains that may offset my desire for terrain. (I don't like flat terrain without a view). Also want several acres - not interested in living with houses next door. (I have 3 acres now, and need my privacy space) Looking at Google Earth, I do't see such properties in EP, however, I could be missing them... are there such properties here?

I love it hot, but not hot with high humidity, and I've read EP fits the bill in that regards.

Hope I didn't get too far off track from the OP's needs, but the more info on El Paso, the better, I hope.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-23-2019, 12:55 PM

89 posts, read 105,757 times
I've only lived here 2 years but as far as I can tell zero hurricanes (obviously it a desert far from coasts), zero tornados and the flooding is just drainage issues from very poor civil engineering and its more of a in the street problem not private property issue. Desert land drains fast. Rent is incredibly reasonable as are expenses and NO state taxes. Humidity? Not here. Crime is very low (google it) and Juarez crime has no effect on crime here. And just a note about Juarez, if you are there and not involved in drugs and other crime its a very good place to visit, eat and even make friends. Retiring here from Wisconsin was a A1 decision on my part.

Old 11-23-2019, 01:32 PM

Thank you all for your responses. So what you are all saying is that any area in El Paso is safe from tornadoes, floods, etc. and low on crime?

For example I am using trulia to look at houses and this website also shows a map of where the houses are located in the particular city. So, I like these 3 houses (I am looking to buy), and would like to know what these areas are like if anyone is familiar with them.. flash floods? regular flooding? crime? etc Also, I am a single mother of 2 and our safety is a main concern.

1st house: 1724 Firehouse Dr, El Paso, TX 79936 East Side
2nd house: 14613 Spanish Point Dr, El Paso, TX 79938
3rd house: 1508 Bellview Ct, Northwest, El Paso, TX

Any input, opinions or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 11-23-2019, 01:52 PM

89 posts, read 105,757 times
I think just looking at the street view on google maps on those 3 properties it's obvious those are very nice neighborhoods.

You really are wayyyyyy too over concerned about flooding and crime especially considering where you are considering buying. The crime here is mainly the 12am and after bars and drunks which doesn't affect families at home sleeping comfortably. Unless you plan on taking a 2am stroll on Dyer, LOL. Coming from California it will be like living in Shangri-la as far as natural disasters, crime, taxes, expenses, homeless camps and on and on. My advice would be to pack up and move here tommorrow.

Old 11-23-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedWarm View Post
I think just looking at the street view on google maps on those 3 properties it's obvious those are very nice neighborhoods.

You really are wayyyyyy too over concerned about flooding and crime especially considering where you are considering buying. The crime here is mainly the 12am and after bars and drunks which doesn't affect families at home sleeping comfortably. Unless you plan on taking a 2am stroll on Dyer, LOL. Coming from California it will be like living in Shangri-la as far as natural disasters, crime, taxes, expenses, homeless camps and on and on. My advice would be to pack up and move here tommorrow.

I have lived in California my entire life, the only places I've visited for a short amount of time are Oregon, Washington, and Nevada. I am not familiar at all with Texas. I don't make much $$$ and what I qualify for (around 300K to buy a house) doesn't get me much here in Los Angeles. The only areas I can buy a house are Lancaster, Palmdale, Rosamond, etc. and they have nice houses too but the crime rate is way up high! Now, I see those houses in Texas (the 3 houses I listed as an example), and I see they are beautiful and affordable and the neighborhoods look nice, but since I am not familiar with Texas I had the need to ask someone that did.

Now my concern comes because my family lives in Washington and Oregon, so if I was to move to Texas and it flooded for days or some other regular natural disaster happened... where am I suppose to go with my 2 kids? Here in California, I have friends at least (no family, but good friends) that I can reach out to in case an emergency happens. But in El Paso, TX I wouldn't have friends or family (no friends at the beginning, but eventually I hope I make some). I hope you understand my concern now.

Also, just because they are nice neighborhoods (the ones I am interested in EP) that doesn't mean tornadoes, floods, etc will not happen there.. I am just looking for input from people familiar with those areas. Thank you for your input

Old 11-24-2019, 03:22 AM
ZSP

1,764 posts, read 5,096,309 times
I'v lived here for 51 years and have never witnessed a tornado here. Dust devils maybe but that's all. I raised two kids here and none of us have ever been a victim of crime.
Floods, nothing other than street flooding in some areas. Now you know Mother Nature always gets her way but really, you're overthinking these two points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso