U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2021, 08:40 PM

49 posts, read 23,253 times

Advertisements

Why is UTEP a really hard and academically challenging school? Having been in Arizona now for 4 years, the schools are much easier here and some professors let you redo assignments. I struggled so much at UTEP and barely made it. I see a huge difference. Is Texas just a really hard state overall or is El Paso just a very academically challenging city? I'm curious to know why UTEP is really hard.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 11:07 PM

1 posts, read 243 times
I think it just depends on the program you’re in. Which one are you in?

Old 01-16-2021, 08:29 AM

3,835 posts, read 5,710,773 times
I had no idea that any college professor would allow you to redo assignments. I certainly never got that luxury, so would say your AZ schools were a bit on the "hand holding/everybody passes" side.

UTEP does not have the reputation for being a hard school. They accept 100% of applicants whereas UT Austin only accepts 38%. If you think UTEP is hard then UT Austin would cause you even more of a shock.

Old 01-16-2021, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacarri96 View Post
I think it just depends on the program you’re in. Which one are you in?
I majored in Psychology, and the professors in the Psych Department were so hard. I since graduated 4 years ago and moved to Arizona. I noticed the level of education is just easier in Arizona. That, or maybe I just had really hard professors at UTEP who taught at the level of an Ivy League School. The funny thing is, so many people I've met did so well at UTEP and got A's and B's.

Old 01-16-2021, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I had no idea that any college professor would allow you to redo assignments. I certainly never got that luxury, so would say your AZ schools were a bit on the "hand holding/everybody passes" side.

UTEP does not have the reputation for being a hard school. They accept 100% of applicants whereas UT Austin only accepts 38%. If you think UTEP is hard then UT Austin would cause you even more of a shock.
We had 2 professors at the NAU in Tucson who would allow redos and give extra credit. It wasn't until recently why I found out why it was so easy. It was because NAU was housed in the Pima Community College. I do know this, the NAU in Phoenix does not allow redos. I'm starting to think it could depend on the professor possibly, not much the school. Also, at UTEP, most of the professors I had came from really top schools like UC Irvine, Ruttgers, The University of Arizona, The University of Wisconsin, etc...

Old 01-18-2021, 07:44 PM

2,346 posts, read 1,150,899 times
Maybe you had lousy/hard teachers, it is not the best school. And I say that as somebody going to a school not a whole lot better...

Old 01-19-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Maybe you had lousy/hard teachers, it is not the best school. And I say that as somebody going to a school not a whole lot better...
I have a feeling NMSU is better than UTEP. I had the option to go to NMSU, but I didn't want to live in Las Cruces. Then I realized that anyone living in El Paso should just do the commute because it's worth it.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:54 PM

1,200 posts, read 849,598 times
UTEP is not a hard school perhaps you should check your own qualifications. Students graduate with poor reading and writing skills. NMSU is not better than UTEP. UTEP has the benefit of being part of the University of Texas System and gets some decent funding because of it.

I transferred from UTEP to the University of California - when I wanted credit for my statistics , they asked me to wait - came back with that red stats book that all the UT campuses used and thumbed through it in front of me. "For the University of California to give you credit , the material has to be more advanced than what he teach in our high schools" He then opened some pages for emphasis. I crawled out of there. UTEP is EASY

I just don't know where you're getting your information.

Old 01-19-2021, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
UTEP is not a hard school perhaps you should check your own qualifications. Students graduate with poor reading and writing skills. NMSU is not better than UTEP. UTEP has the benefit of being part of the University of Texas System and gets some decent funding because of it.

I transferred from UTEP to the University of California - when I wanted credit for my statistics , they asked me to wait - came back with that red stats book that all the UT campuses used and thumbed through it in front of me. "For the University of California to give you credit , the material has to be more advanced than what he teach in our high schools" He then opened some pages for emphasis. I crawled out of there. UTEP is EASY

I just don't know where you're getting your information.
I just did not do well at UTEP. The professors were just really hard. One in particular took off 10-20 points on papers for something minor. While professors gave study guides, some material on the exam were never on the study guide. But then I never really read any of the textbooks. I relied mostly on study guides. My peers did so well on all exams. I remember hearing everyone talk amongst each other how well they did. Then I look at my scantron with or blackboard and I see I always scored somewhere between 30%-60% on exams. It made me feel so sad and depressed.

Maybe I wasn't a test taker? Undergraduate College was just such a challenge for me. I've found graduate school in Arizona to be a whole lot easier. Makes me wonder if undergraduate college in Arizona is easy or harder than UTEP. I believe you about California. California is a very challenging state academically. I don't think I'd ever survive at a California school.

Old 01-20-2021, 11:10 AM

9,897 posts, read 4,821,546 times
OP, I think you were just not ready for real university study. UTEP is a mid range state school. It'll be easier to get a gentleman's C in easy subjects like psych or soc, than at UT, and there'll be no comparison at all to what it's like to get said gentleman's C at Harvard.

Getting top grades in electrical engineering (for example) from UTEP will be comparable in difficulty, probably, to any other large state school, though not at the level of Rice or Stanford.

"Never read any of the textbooks" - I'm guesing that's more the issue than "not a test taker".

You won't survive academically in any school (except in the very easiest programs) if you don't do the work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: