U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 06:42 AM

11,511 posts, read 8,319,208 times

Advertisements

i would agree pretty much with what was already said.

El Paso is like a hometown. Nothing fancy, not cosmopolitan, not very exciting kinda vanilla. That is to say that is nothing wrong with all that! It is all about what you want.
If you want to live in a great and possibly best climate in the US, with great scenery almost all the amenities of a bigger city, a laid back lifestyle and a feeling of being somewhat isolated from the rest of the US, a lower cost of living then El Paso is the place for you.

I would also say that most people don't enjoy most things that are there for them in their city. I currently live in the Las Vegas area and do I go down on the strip and enjoy all the shows, restaurants and etc? Not anymore, I actually avoid all that as well as many other locals do!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2021, 09:54 AM

35 posts, read 59,231 times
Really appreciate all the replies. As mentioned, I'm looking for a foreign culture within my own country that is somewhat inexpensive. If Medicare covered me overseas, I would not hesitate to live in Central or South America.

When you are in your mid-70's you're more interested in a quiet life. I have that is Washington state, and would still keep this as my main residence. A minimum of 4 months in El Paso hiking with my Lab would be great for me during the dreary wet months of the PNW.

I will arrange to be in El Paso from mid-November to mid-March. The last question I have is whether it would be best to arrange housing after I arrive, and for a few days stay in a motel.

Have a great day.

Old 02-26-2021, 09:10 PM

844 posts, read 350,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
i would agree pretty much with what was already said.

El Paso is like a hometown. Nothing fancy, not cosmopolitan, not very exciting kinda vanilla. That is to say that is nothing wrong with all that! It is all about what you want.
If you want to live in a great and possibly best climate in the US, with great scenery almost all the amenities of a bigger city, a laid back lifestyle and a feeling of being somewhat isolated from the rest of the US, a lower cost of living then El Paso is the place for you.

I would also say that most people don't enjoy most things that are there for them in their city. I currently live in the Las Vegas area and do I go down on the strip and enjoy all the shows, restaurants and etc? Not anymore, I actually avoid all that as well as many other locals do!
How would you compare El Paso to Albuquerque in cosmopolitan terms? Anyone?

Old 02-26-2021, 09:34 PM

73 posts, read 55,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
EP is less diverse because it's so heavily Hispanic. Neither has much of an African American population from what I've noticed. Politically, theatrical and musical entertainment very similar although ABQ has the Breaking Bad franchise under it's belt. El Paso is more stand alone geographically as it's really not close to any other urban environments other than Juarez. But most consider the two cities as one and does offer that close by 'different country' culture. ABQ's downtown is in much better shape whereas EP's has a lot of vacancy, even before Covid devastated commerce.

Old 02-26-2021, 11:45 PM

632 posts, read 424,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob66 View Post
Really appreciate all the replies. As mentioned, I'm looking for a foreign culture within my own country that is somewhat inexpensive. If Medicare covered me overseas, I would not hesitate to live in Central or South America.

When you are in your mid-70's you're more interested in a quiet life. I have that is Washington state, and would still keep this as my main residence. A minimum of 4 months in El Paso hiking with my Lab would be great for me during the dreary wet months of the PNW.

I will arrange to be in El Paso from mid-November to mid-March. The last question I have is whether it would be best to arrange housing after I arrive, and for a few days stay in a motel.

Have a great day.
On housing one tip is that if you are staying in a place that does daily rentals but are staying for more than 30 days you are exempt from hotel tax. You do have to notify them(the hotel/condo/etc.) in advance otherwise you have to pay for the first month then get the hotel tax free.

Old 02-28-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
Not much happening in El Paso. ABQ has more things going. The Old Town, Downtown, and UNM area are much more active than anything in ELP. ABQ however has a high crime rate.

Also, outdoor activities are better in ABQ. Remember in ELP you're cut off from anything south of it unless you want to go into a foreign country.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob66 View Post

Have a great day.
I would say check the areas out and get a feel for them when you get to El Paso. It can all seem nice in ads and real estate listings but you get a better idea when yourself when here.

Old 03-06-2021, 03:13 PM

3,647 posts, read 1,478,816 times
Parts of el paso have a different feel. West side, a little more affluent/upscale. Upper valley, more greenery and farmland/horses. Upper valley near el pado country club...very green big lots, expensive homes.
East side...lits of stores and traffic.
Kern place...lots of shops, restaurants and bars in a ealkable area. Pretty older homes.
Northeast..more military friendly type housing but not much to do.

Old Today, 08:04 PM

1,209 posts, read 869,493 times
El Paso is a fine place but the summers are miserably hot. I like living here winters and in SW Washington State summers where its green, scenic and most days hover around 70. SW Washington is wet and not so nice in winter though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso