Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 11:35 PM

21 posts, read 72,990 times

Advertisements

I Think the best selection is at Wal-Mart, but the prices there seem to be the highest. Big-8 has the best prices, but not nearly as good selection. Albertsons is in between the two. What really bugs me about El Paso grocery stores is that none of them, as far as I'm aware, are open 24 hours except for Wal-Mart. Now-a-days I usually don't go to bed until 10AM thereabouts, so grocery shopping late night is best for me.

When I lived in California, we had one grocery store int he town I lived in. It was a Food4Less, which had better selection than Wal-Mart, and better prices than Big-8. On top of all that, it was open 24 hours. I totally miss that place

Also, whats HEB? Is it an acronym for some other grocery store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 09:32 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,605,699 times
does anyone think safeway ,smiths will ever come back anyone heard of king soopers-kroger

Old 05-09-2008, 09:35 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA2EP? View Post
Is there alos a Sams Club or Costco in El Paso Cathy? I forgot all about those. That's too bad about HEB, I wish they would build a distribution facility. How about a whole foods?
There are at least two Sam's Clubs in EP...and I THINK Costco is there also.

I'd go to EP for Sam's Club if they also had HEB. I don't know about Whole Foods. One of the resident posters can answer this one!

I have heard that Trader Joe's is super, but I've never been to one of those. I think the nearest one to EP is ABQ!

Old 05-09-2008, 09:38 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbv4 View Post
I Think the best selection is at Wal-Mart, but the prices there seem to be the highest....

Also, whats HEB? Is it an acronym for some other grocery store?
HEB (Howard E. Butts) are the initials of the original owner of the chain. I do believe that it's still owned by the same family. Their Central Markets are awesome....but their smaller places are great, too. I loved the one in Midland...Odessa, too....it's as far west as they've gone to date.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:15 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,711,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
does anyone think safeway ,smiths will ever come back anyone heard of king soopers-kroger
I would imagine that Smith's sometime would head into EP, as they are all over ABQ. Smith's in ABQ sells the Kroger brand, so it might be a "sister company" to King Soopers (which is big in Denver).

Old 05-09-2008, 10:23 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,711,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I don't know about Whole Foods.
El Paso doesn't have a Whole Foods.

Personally, I think WF is one of the more overrated retailers oft cited on the CD Forums. Don't get me wrong...they are in ABQ and I enjoyed hopping into it once or twice for a treat - it serves a great niche of sorts - but the nickname commonly cited for WF is "Whole Paycheck" because of its extremely premium / high prices.

I guess if you are on the position to pay $50 for one small grocery bag with some trendy organic fruit and hunks of cheese, it is a big deal. But to me, El Paso not having one is sort of one of those "oh well." Again, it isn't that I am anti-Whole Foods, and if EP had one that'd be great, but it is really more of a niche grocery for upper class spenders (or non-upper classers that want to spend like it) than a conventional every day grocery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I have heard that Trader Joe's is super, but I've never been to one of those. I think the nearest one to EP is ABQ!
Trader Joe's is nice, but that is again one of those super-hyped things on the CD Forums that I think gets a little *too much* hype. Its prices in general are much nicer than Whole Foods, so that is great, and I enjoyed shopping there for particular neat things.

However, again, it is more of a niche / specialty grocery, not one you'd typically go to every weekend for the full family list of stuff.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:11 PM

28 posts, read 92,903 times
Anybody been to Sun Harvest on Mesa? What's that one like?

Old 05-10-2008, 12:11 AM

303 posts, read 980,406 times
Malamute,
Once upon a time it was only called "BIG 8 SUPERMARKETS" Did someone named Lowe buy the chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA2EP? View Post

I am pumped about having a 7-11, there arn't any in SA. "Hey guys. Oh, big gulps eh? All right! well, see ya later."
They discontinued them in Omaha in the early 80's. Does anyone remember when 7-11's were called the "7 till 11"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
I would imagine that Smith's sometime would head into EP, as they are all over ABQ. Smith's in ABQ sells the Kroger brand, so it might be a "sister company" to King Soopers (which is big in Denver).
In Omaha Baker's Supermarkets has the Kroger brand, but these stores are fading away here.

What ever happened to Furr's Supermart? They used to have a Furr's cafeteria here but it closed in the early to mid 90's.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:02 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,950,515 times
Smiths was here, but they were run out of town due to health reasons.. very sick what the stores were like here.. used to be a Smiths on Fairbanks.

Yes there is a Costcos at Basset Center.

No HEB, I would shop at one if they were here, the one at Flour Bluff near Corpus is awesome! I would prefer a Fred Myers here, but I don't think they will ever come this far south.

Lowes is a big food chain all over Texas, Mississippi, and the lower half of Alabama... and yes the Big 8's were sold.

Seen a Krogers in Mississippi, never been one in El Paso.

Furr's also was run out of town.. still is a couple Furrs Cafeterias in El Paso... at least I think so.. the one in Sun Rise is still there.

Albertsons is the big daddy supermarket here now.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:13 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
Yeap i miss the Smiths on Fairbanks (lots of memories shopping there) and i also remember we used to go sometimes to Safeway on Fairbanks and Rushing. I'm thinking there used to a Bag n Save on Dyer and Hondo Pass too ??

I really do like Smiths up here in Albuquerque. Dig on those 4 lb bags of frozen Chicken Breasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso