Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 10:24 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,103 times

Advertisements

I've driven through, and stayed in, El Paso several times each year over the last 15 years. It is halfway between Houston and LA. On my way back to California, it is a definite cultural shift between the two. It has much more of the Western US vibe than other parts of Texas. It seems like it's really taken off over the past decade. The Lower Valley especially has had a ton of growth as the Upper Valley starts to run out of room on the Texas side.

If it ever did become part of New Mexico, it would dominate the state as it seems to have things a lot more together than the Albuquerque region. I'm not sure what the tax benefits are to living on the Texas side, but that upper valley growth will eventually flood into Dona Ana county. Las Cruces hasn't changed much (from what I see when I drive through), but maybe the real growth is on the I-25 corridor there. We only venture off I-10 to eat at Si Senor when we pass through. It is a must stop for us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 02:57 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
I've driven through, and stayed in, El Paso several times each year over the last 15 years. It is halfway between Houston and LA. On my way back to California, it is a definite cultural shift between the two. It has much more of the Western US vibe than other parts of Texas. It seems like it's really taken off over the past decade. The Lower Valley especially has had a ton of growth as the Upper Valley starts to run out of room on the Texas side.

If it ever did become part of New Mexico, it would dominate the state as it seems to have things a lot more together than the Albuquerque region. I'm not sure what the tax benefits are to living on the Texas side, but that upper valley growth will eventually flood into Dona Ana county. Las Cruces hasn't changed much (from what I see when I drive through), but maybe the real growth is on the I-25 corridor there. We only venture off I-10 to eat at Si Senor when we pass through. It is a must stop for us!
I had a chance to visit Las Cruces/Mesilla as well. It seemed nice. I would only move there though if I found enough to do there in LC. It may only be 30ish miles to El Paso, but to me there´s no point in living on the New Mexico side just to drive down every time you want to do something. Sí Señor is good! I had their drive-thru at their Express location.

I´ve never been to ABQ, but I would like to go there and to Colorado next before I close the book on where we move to. I know that it´s a city with its share of social ills, but it does look beautiful and as of late it seems to be attracting middle and upper middle class outsiders.

Old 04-05-2021, 05:56 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
I´ve never been to ABQ, but I would like to go there and to Colorado next before I close the book on where we move to. I know that it´s a city with its share of social ills, but it does look beautiful and as of late it seems to be attracting middle and upper middle class outsiders.
ABQ just seems like there was very little thought put into planning for a large metro area. It's like they never expected to grow to the size they have now. A lot of the new developments are so far from any kind of freeway (ie the Rio Rancho area). I realize it's not Phoenix with a master plan and wide boulevards one mile apart, but it just feels like they put no thought into having a bigger future. El Paso has good roads and it is laid out for future growth to occur without putting huge strain on small desert roads.

Santa Fe is dramatically beautiful, but very pricy. If I had to pick a SW city to settle down in, it would be El Paso or Tucson. They both have tons of things to do/see and the cities aren't too big to get around. If I get to spend time in the El Paso area in the future, I'd like to explore the mountain resorts to the north.

Old 04-06-2021, 03:06 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,302 times
The Eastside is basically a bedroom community and pretty heavy traffic pre-COVID. Manhattan Heights has some nice old houses but its always had a crime issue. Two Assistant Attorney Generals were shot there recently one dead.

Kern Place is a nice but expensive neighborhood - pretty houses and close to UTEP not far from downtown.

Sunset Heights is my favorite though- right between UTEP and Downtown- historic architecture and friendly.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:07 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,233 times
Quote:
So my wife and I are teachers, and El Paso-area ISDs seem to pay more or less what ISDs in San Antonio do, give or take maybe only $1,000 a year or so. It´s a huge plus I think for El Paso, given that houses are still cheaper than San Antonio, for now anyway.

I have three doubts, and three doubts only, in my mind:

1.) The location. It is obviously very isolated from most of the rest of Texas. Our road trips there would more than likely involve NM, AZ, CO, Puerto Peñasco and California more than San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Houston and the like. Either EP and San Antonio are going to be inconvenient to visit my nieces and nephews on the East Coast, so that´s kind of a wash.

2.) I mentioned those massive refineries earlier. I´ve pretty much figured out where they are on the map, and I don´t think I´d live closer than a mile to them. Other than that, I don´t see it as an issue. Most Texas cities are industrial in some fashion.

3.) I am bilingual, but my wife is still learning English. San Antonio is full of Spanish speakers, but there seems to be a nice balance of English as well. I´m not sure if you can say the same about El Paso. Sure, most everyone speaks English, but my wife may find it harder when they see her physical features and hear her accent to let her speak it. I´m an Anglo, gringo, whatever you want to say, so I have the choice of choosing to reveal that I am bilingual or not.

It´s gonna be a hard decision, but I appreciate all the feedback in the meantime!
What a minute...your wife isn't even fluent in English and she is a TEACHER? No offense, but what/how does she teach?

Old 04-07-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
What a minute...your wife isn't even fluent in English and she is a TEACHER? No offense, but what/how does she teach?
No offense taken. We live in Colombia and she's finishing her student teaching here. We planned to move Stateside back in 2019, but Covid ground immigration to a halt until about a month ago. Here's to hoping the Embassy in Bogotá can get us her paperwork by this summer.

I mean her English is decent, and I think she could teach preschool level (her area of certification) in English already. Higher grades would take her learning a lot on the job I think.

Our story aside, I've had Colombian coworkers get hired as Spanish immersion teachers in places like Georgia and North Carolina, and not all of them could converse in English when they arrived.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:43 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,233 times
Quote:
No offense taken. We live in Colombia and she's finishing her student teaching here. We planned to move Stateside back in 2019, but Covid ground immigration to a halt until about a month ago. Here's to hoping the Embassy in Bogotá can get us her paperwork by this summer.

I mean her English is decent, and I think she could teach preschool level (her area of certification) in English already. Higher grades would take her learning a lot on the job I think.

Our story aside, I've had Colombian coworkers get hired as Spanish immersion teachers in places like Georgia and North Carolina, and not all of them could converse in English when they arrived.
Ah okay. That explains it. I got you now.

Good luck with the embassy paperwork!

Old 04-09-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Why part of El Paso is best for someone who 1st desire in a neighborhood is lot of taco trucks and Chinese take out and maybe a Chinese grocery store. I am Chinese from Seattle wanting to relocate there, I will be there mid April for 3 full days to see what part of EP is for me. I will be semi retired and don't care for strip mall food chains.
There could be more spots, but the Northeast is supposed to be the most multicultural side of the city...it´s not Seattle type diversity though, by any stretch. I went to a Korean market called Arirang in the NE and there was a healthy selection of Asian products, including a great deal of Chinese. I didn´t see premade staples like roast pork or duck though, like a true Chinese market would most likely have, but I can vouch for the fresh gimbap. The owners couldn´t have been nicer though.

Taco trucks will be all over the place! El Paso has a lot of strip malls and chains, quite like similar cities in the region like Phoenix and Albuquerque. But you can pass them up and focus on the local vibe and still have options.

Old 04-11-2021, 02:09 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I am going to see El Paso next month to see if its a place I want to relocate soon. What is not so great about the Eastside - i10?
Eastside has a lot more traffic. You also don't have the pretty mountain views over there.

Old 04-16-2021, 04:54 PM

35 posts, read 35,543 times
Just a heads up in case you aren't aware. The housing market is pretty bad right now. Houses are selling for way more than normal. The list price is basically the minimum bid. If you don't offer a lot more than that you won't get the house. Years ago when I bought my house in Austin I was able to negotiate and even bring the price down. There's no negotiating room now. Cash and the highest bid win. But that's the same everywhere right now from what I understand.

Does Manhattan Heights really have a crime problem? I know there was a homicide a few months ago but I thought that was pretty out of the ordinary for the area. Granted, the last time I lived here was 22 years ago. My parents still live in that area and they've never mentioned it to me. Maybe it's just certain areas of Manhattan Heights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso